Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You would imagine, a Brexit economic impact assessment would have been released by the government by now.
The policy is that they are not doing an economic impact assessment. Perhaps they don't want anyone to read one ?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Boris and the Crew have been sorting us out with jabs whilst getting the economy shifting again.

Seems a pretty decent assessment to me.

Oh, I thought the NHS was responsible for the jabs and the economy had dived to the lowest level in a generation. I suppose the government deserves some credit for the vaccinations and should take some responsibility for the thousands of unnecessary deaths due to a tardy response to Covid.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What an incredibly lame response. So, how are they getting the economy 'shifting'? How would you know?

yeah we don't care about businesses failing and jobs lost cos of Brexit but we must get the economy going....???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boris and the Crew have been sorting us out with jabs whilst getting the economy shifting again.

After first completely trashing the economy. What is your national debt now? Is it 130% of GDP? How does it compare with the other G7 nations? Please remind me.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Positive news doesn't sit well with the 5th column collective but it's out there if someone is prepared to search for it ...

UK economic data confound forecasters and beat expectations

Policymakers and analysts are revising up their Q1 GDP forecasts

The latest UK economic data has been significantly better than economists expected, suggesting households and companies have been more resilient to the latest lockdown and Britain will climb international economic performance league tables in the months ahead.

Most of the important economic data for the period of the lockdown that began on January 4, including output, employment, business sentiment and public finances, have been better than forecast and much stronger than in the first lockdown, showing the ability of businesses and consumers to adapt.

With the UK economy poised to reopen gradually in the weeks ahead amid a successful coronavirus vaccination rollout, unlike much of the EU, the prospects for the immediate economic recovery are strong.

The positive surprises also lower the immediate pressure on policymakers to provide further monetary or fiscal boosts.

GDP forecasts are revised up

For weeks, economists have had to adjust to better-than-expected data and are rushing to revise up their forecasts for economic performance in the first quarter.....

Over the past two weeks, there has been no let-up in the positive surprises, with better-than-expected purchasing managers’ indices, business surveys and official data pointing to a strong uptick in activity in March.

In February, the unemployment rate unexpectedly fell and joblessness is now much lower than economists forecast it would be only a few months ago.

https://on.ft.com/3fjqv1M

Britain’s economy is poised to bounce back sharply as restrictions are eased on Monday after a host of data suggested confidence among bosses is surging and firms have launched a hiring spree.

A study by Deloitte found that chief financial officers are more optimistic now than at any point in the last 13 years as the vaccine rollout boosts hopes of a sharp recovery.

As shops reopen and pubs are allowed to serve drinks outside for the first time in months, Deloitte found that executives’ appetite for spending has risen at the fastest pace on record and a greater share now expect to increase spending on staff and capital than at any point since 2015.

Separate research by the Federation of Small Businesses found that the more than half of firms expect revenues to rise over the next three months, a six-year high.

A NatWest survey showed increased recruitment across Britain as most regions recorded rising inflows of work. The BDO Employment Index revealed that the jobs market hit a three-month high in March.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/04/12/britains-back-business-recovery-gathers-pace/

Trade with France bounces back to pre-Brexit levels

Figures raise hopes that UK trade is set for swift recovery after a severe January fall as firms get to grips with new customs arrangements

Trade between the UK and France bounced back towards normal in March as firms adjusted to life after Brexit, according to analysis by French customs officials.

Imports from Britain climbed to 107pc of typical levels after taking Covid effects into account, the research found - with exports back at 96pc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/04/09/trade-france-bounces-back-pre-brexit-levels/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Positive news doesn't sit well with the 5th column collective but it's out there if someone is prepared to search for it ...

UK economic data confound forecasters and beat expectations

Policymakers and analysts are revising up their Q1 GDP forecasts

The latest UK economic data has been significantly better than economists expected, suggesting households and companies have been more resilient to the latest lockdown and Britain will climb international economic performance league tables in the months ahead.

Most of the important economic data for the period of the lockdown that began on January 4, including output, employment, business sentiment and public finances, have been better than forecast and much stronger than in the first lockdown, showing the ability of businesses and consumers to adapt.

With the UK economy poised to reopen gradually in the weeks ahead amid a successful coronavirus vaccination rollout, unlike much of the EU, the prospects for the immediate economic recovery are strong.

The positive surprises also lower the immediate pressure on policymakers to provide further monetary or fiscal boosts.

GDP forecasts are revised up

For weeks, economists have had to adjust to better-than-expected data and are rushing to revise up their forecasts for economic performance in the first quarter.....

Over the past two weeks, there has been no let-up in the positive surprises, with better-than-expected purchasing managers’ indices, business surveys and official data pointing to a strong uptick in activity in March.

In February, the unemployment rate unexpectedly fell and joblessness is now much lower than economists forecast it would be only a few months ago.

https://on.ft.com/3fjqv1M

The one accessible article from the FT is all about the bounce back from Covid, and the only reference to Brexit in the whole FT article was this

A notable exception to the string of positive surprises was the assessment of the impact of the end of the Brexit transition period on the economy. Economists underestimated both the large fall in exports and the contraction in the export-led manufacturing output in January.

And as I'm sure you are aware the two Telegraph articles which of course will take a completely balanced view are only available to Telegraph subscribers and with your history of editing quotes before you post them on here, I'd rather read the source (even the Telegraph !).

You really don't help yourself do you :facepalm:

I'm guessing you're just home from work and desperate to post something, but try reading the article first :dunce:

And don't forget you're not replying to me :lolol:

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see some moron didn't read the post I was replying to which was about "sorting us out with jabs whilst getting the economy shifting again" :dunce:

Meanwhile, more positivity ...

Rising confidence set to drive economic rebound

The economy is poised to roar back to life amid high levels of business and consumer confidence, improving job prospects and a buoyant stock market.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rising-confidence-set-to-drive-economic-rebound-zrrm9rt5x

Also, encouraging news as posted by [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] earlier ..

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/uk-eu-trade-rebounds-in-february-what-now-for-project-fear/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see some moron didn't read the post I was replying to which was about "sorting us out with jabs whilst getting the economy shifting again" :dunce:

The economy is poised to roar back to life amid high levels of business and consumer confidence, improving job prospects and a buoyant stock market.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rising-confidence-set-to-drive-economic-rebound-zrrm9rt5x

Also, encouraging news as posted by [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] earlier ..

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/uk-eu-trade-rebounds-in-february-what-now-for-project-fear/

Simply repeating [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION]'s inane Brexit ramblings now ? I'm sure that Ppf has made a sound economic analysis of the impact of Brexit that you could use to back up your argument. Is It POTG? could then give it all a thumbs up :dunce:

Definitely not desperate then :lolol:

:bigwave:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

we're back to damage limitation then....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Dave Evans [MENTION=10185]Dave[/MENTION]nevans
·
5h
Replying to [MENTION=34671]Michael[/MENTION]_Heaver
and [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tmonsterUK
Just shows what makes people’s mind up. Future decided on lies and corruption. The vaccine programme was better due to the UK’s insistence on not exporting vaccines to any country. Wonder what the world would be like if all countries just looked after themselves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here