Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I would also add the Blair government promising and delivering Scottish devolution which they rather naively thought would satisfy the Scottish nationalists, instead, the SNP have gone from strength to strength, engineered one referendum and constantly agitate to break up the UK (also destroyed Labour in Scotland making winning a UK GE very difficult).
The Union with Scotland has never been complete anyway. Devolution just allowed that separation to develop. Like with Brexit it's a one way street. The SNP only need to win one referendum and it's done. It will happen and we need to get over it. Ireland is always going to reunify at some stage. Does it matter to England?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whilst I’m passionate about the ‘stronger together’ thing, we may well see the Scots, N.Irish and Welsh effectively kick England out of the Union. They could leave the UK and then together, become the Republic Of Caledonia and rejoin the EU. I think that would offer a very enticing compromise for the Welsh and the Irish Republicans although the Scots would need convincing that total independence is not the way forward, to be honest, it appears to be anything but the English for our haggis chomping cousins and good luck to them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Whilst I’m passionate about the ‘stronger together’ thing, we may well see the Scots, N.Irish and Welsh effectively kick England out of the Union. They could leave the UK and then together, become the Republic Of Caledonia and rejoin the EU. I think that would offer a very enticing compromise for the Welsh and the Irish Republicans although the Scots would need convincing that total independence is not the way forward, to be honest, it appears to be anything but the English for our haggis chomping cousins and good luck to them.

Can't work out if that's a serious post or a joke.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Union with Scotland has never been complete anyway. Devolution just allowed that separation to develop. Like with Brexit it's a one way street. The SNP only need to win one referendum and it's done. It will happen and we need to get over it. Ireland is always going to reunify at some stage. Does it matter to England?

Agree, devolution inadvertently facilitated where we are now but Brexit wasn't inevitable (lots of missteps by Uk governments and the EU plus poor remain campaign) and I don't believe Scottish independence is either. The point about the winning one referendum is fair which is why people who always want another one every few years until they get their way should be resisted. A referendum should be used very sparingly, say once in a lifetime/generation ...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
let it happen. its a shame they dont want to stay but time to separate the governance. most people wont notice a bit of difference on either side of the border, we'll likely maintain an Anglo-Irish like CTA arrangement. only major change will be their political leaders will have to take full responsibility and stop blaming Westminster for every problem (even those they have devolved).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would more put the blame on a host of things. David Cameron's decision to allow a referendum, the Brexit vote, the EU's intransigence to change in the face of growing opposition to many of its policies, Merkel's decision to allow a million plus refugees/immigrants to cross into Europe unfettered, growing desire for independence in some Scots particularly.

To say the blame is now put on the current government ignores history.

The bizarre thing with the Scots is that many have always wanted more decision making for Scotland made in Scotland - hence devolution and ever more power handed over from London - and rightly so IMHO. Yet if they go independent they will attempt to join the EU ? :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Personally I think the trend from the last 300 years or so, where local power decreased and national/supranational power increased, is the thing to blame. When people think that themselves and their local communities have no power of what is going on, they want to break their unions, especially if they had a lot of autonomy in some past. In the last century when state power increased very rapidly, you saw the growth of organisations like ETA, IRA and so on. Today its done in a different manner but the feeling of being powerless is still going to make people unhappy and wanting to look for as much independence as possible. It got very little to do with any specific decisions or governments, me thinks.

I feel a little strange posting this ..... but .... THIS !

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's always been a bit of an awkward line for the SNP to toe, take back control (from London) but hand back control (to Brussels)

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Aye aye.. good to see the piss filled nappies have arrived. You’re probably better off sticking with the other hysterical fannys on the Brexit thread.....
Perhaps you could start a Brejoin campaign? We could all leave a light on.
(Don’t tell Greta, she’ll go radio rental)

As a matter of interest, what have you hit against Greta?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The bizarre thing with the Scots is that many have always wanted more decision making for Scotland made in Scotland - hence devolution and ever more power handed over from London - and rightly so IMHO. Yet if they go independent they will attempt to join the EU ? :facepalm:

It’s quite possible there won’t be an EU to join, now the money tree has uprooted itself and become a Global trading Nation.
Cannot see the EU lasting more than 10 years..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Are you English by chance?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Cheerio Jocks close the door on the way out.

There cannot and should not be obstacles placed in the way of self determination if this is the will of the people then so be it. Irish unification has been on the cards for many years and is possibly as quietly unpopular an idea in the corridors of power in Dublin as it is on the Shankhill Rd but the demographics will dictate it in a few years anyway not to mention the historical justice of it.

It'll be interesting to see if they can make a success of it especially as I would hope that they pick up their share of the national debt etc as part of any dissolution.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I would also add the Blair government promising and delivering Scottish devolution which they rather naively thought would satisfy the Scottish nationalists, instead, the SNP have gone from strength to strength, engineered one referendum and constantly agitate to break up the UK (also destroyed Labour in Scotland making winning a UK GE very difficult).

I don't blame Blair for doing it, but this was the first and biggest step towards Scottish independence.

Jimmy Krankie now has at her disposal a slick, government funded propaganda machine that can blame anything bad on the UK government and take credit for anything good regardless of who's actually in control. Satisfaction surveys for covid are a great example, Scots give JK a great rating and a terrible one for Boris despite the fact that healthcare is completely devolved and policy has been almost identical for both governments! :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here