[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Of course if Boris had supported Theresa Mays virtually identical deal we could have spent a couple of years working all this shit out before brexit actually happened.

That's not strictly true. With Theresa May's deal with the NI backstop, there wouldn't have been the current problems associated with the border in the Irish Sea to work out.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Shouldn't be any problem with imports as the UK have adopted very little checking of regulations and rules on our borders, instead going for a 'light touch' approach. This will continue until Britain is capable of putting the procedures, systems and staff in place to do the proper checks. I believe that's currently planned to be introduced for mid 2021. It's the EU who have started working to some of the the rules and regulations from day 1 (although they have agreed not to introduce some of them until the end of march 2021).

I would imagine if what you export isn't heavily regulated by the EU, it shouldn't be any problem. Out of interest, what sort of exports are they (if you can say) :thumbsup:

HVAC materials

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There are some wonderful ironies in all of this. The primary one being that the Single Market was effectively the brain-child of Mrs Thatcher, and it's creation enabled the rapid expansion of the car industry in the UK (via the ability of Japanese car manufacturers to set up factories in the UK and export to the rest of the EU, tariff-free). The other major irony is that the Tories were supposed to be the party opposed to bureaucracy (remember Cameron's "bonfire of red tape" election pledges in 2010?). Pretty much everything about Brexit introduces huge amounts of additional bureaucracy (and, by the way, if you're struggling with the new VAT rules, etc as discussed above - remember, there are TWO sets of rules - one for GB, one for Northern Ireland).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As an accountant what I want to know is how on earth HMRC have prepared for the plethora of UK VAT registrations now having to be made by EU suppliers?

Have HMRC taken on extra staff to handle the extra registrations, and the attendant quarterly VAT Returns that will now arise? Are they capable of enquiring into these Returns? What about the language barrier when doing so?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Come now. This is just a teething problem. The arrangements will all be oven-ready, soon. Stop talking this great country down ???

This!
Don't panic its only companies that are not used to exporting (like fresh seafood companies) that are experiencing problems with the paperwork, they will soon get the hang of it while the happy blighty fish rot on the quayside, this must be true because George Useless says so.
Meanwhile those ******* French are scooping up our fish in our waters (still) and taking them home, where they actually eat them, even though this was never going to happen.
I suggest we dig up Francis Drake.
Maybe when the minister has stopped singing Away in a manger at her local nativity trail she may get round to actually reading the deal and help out companies that are losing millions.
Also, I'm seriously considering buying a Ford Puma, but this week the price has risen by £2000 because some of the componants are made outside the EU, and you get no extra trim for the price rise, not sure why this should happen to be honest.
Anyone else noticed the prices sneakily going up in the supermarkets, I have, why is this?
If I had known this was going to happen I would never have voted leave, I feel mugged off that the Daily Mail and Twitter lied to me and that nice Gentleman with the top hat, Mr Mogg, assured me that all foreigners will be flogged after January 1st.
I feel a bit of a fool now, there is a poster on here who I put on ignore because he says we are all thickos, as a leaver i hate to admit i was wrong all along but he may have a point.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes - the UK has decided that every EU company that wants to export to the UK has to register with HMRC, charge UK VAT, collect that VAT, and then remit it to HMRC. The plus side is that this should reduce VAT-fraud (and stop goods being imported into this country without VAT being charged or paid). The previous system (for all non-EU countries) required VAT and customs declarations, and the courier company/post office, etc helped to collect the VAT (eg: if you bought something from the US depending on its value, you'd have to pay VAT and customs duties to the carrier). We could have introduced this scheme for EU countries, but HMRC basically doesn't have the manpower to police it. Hence, we've gone down a route which effectively transfers much of the admin to the seller. As has been reported, many suppliers are deciding that it's too much like hard work, and are therefore not supplying UK customers anymore. Yet again we can be thankful to our Lords and Masters, those buccaneers of free trade....only they could have so successfully introduced a system guaranteed to reduce trade.

Thanks for this, very helpful. The notion that reducing trade with your biggest trading partner (and where 45% of your exports go) was anything other than daft is beyond me, but here we are.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are some wonderful ironies in all of this. The primary one being that the Single Market was effectively the brain-child of Mrs Thatcher, and it's creation enabled the rapid expansion of the car industry in the UK (via the ability of Japanese car manufacturers to set up factories in the UK and export to the rest of the EU, tariff-free). The other major irony is that the Tories were supposed to be the party opposed to bureaucracy (remember Cameron's "bonfire of red tape" election pledges in 2010?). Pretty much everything about Brexit introduces huge amounts of additional bureaucracy (and, by the way, if you're struggling with the new VAT rules, etc as discussed above - remember, there are TWO sets of rules - one for GB, one for Northern Ireland).

Yup, again, spot on. Expanded bureaucracy and reduced trade. That might fit on the side of a bus.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I ship a small amount of orders to the EU mainly via a courier or Royal Mail. The procedures have been no different to when we ship to non EU countries so all ok. However hearing stories of goods being sent back because of paperwork that hasnt yet been designed is a bit troubling. I wait with baited breath

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As an accountant what I want to know is how on earth HMRC have prepared for the plethora of UK VAT registrations now having to be made by EU suppliers?

Have HMRC taken on extra staff to handle the extra registrations, and the attendant quarterly VAT Returns that will now arise? Are they capable of enquiring into these Returns? What about the language barrier when doing so?

thats a good question. we've left the One Stop Shop that EU will use when they do VAT changes, not replaced with anything. looks like they expect companies to go through third parties who'll use existing registration.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I ship a small amount of orders to the EU mainly via a courier or Royal Mail. The procedures have been no different to when we ship to non EU countries so all ok. However hearing stories of goods being sent back because of paperwork that hasnt yet been designed is a bit troubling. I wait with baited breath

I get the impression that most of the issues with shipping have been primarily around agriculture and foodstuffs, but I haven't read the detail of the deal and apparently neither have the government so who knows :shrug:

Boris Johnson’s spokesperson wouldn’t say whether he’s actually read his own Brexit deal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnsons-spokesperson-wouldnt-say-whether-hes-actually-read-his-own-brexit-deal/ar-BB1cMsbt?ocid=mailsignout

Fisheries minister Victoria Prentis did not read Brexit deal ‘because she was at nativity event’

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-victoria-prentis-fisheries-brexit-deal-nativity-b892200.html

Maybe just keep your head down and fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I understand (via the FT) that HMRC are currently working on applications lodged in October (this change was actually foreshadowed back in the summer, but obviously had very little attention then). I would imagine it is being swamped with applications now. You raise the very good point about whether HMRC will be able to enquire into the returns provided by non-UK companies. The FT have sought some clarification on this, and apparently the HMRC response was that they were "unable to confirm what powers they had over companies in other jurisdictions". It sounds very much like they are making things up as they go along (but that's been our entire approach to Brexit, so no surprise there!)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This!
Don't panic its only companies that are not used to exporting (like fresh seafood companies) that are experiencing problems with the paperwork, they will soon get the hang of it while the happy blighty fish rot on the quayside, this must be true because George Useless says so.
Meanwhile those ******* French are scooping up our fish in our waters (still) and taking them home, where they actually eat them, even though this was never going to happen.
I suggest we dig up Francis Drake.
Maybe when the minister has stopped singing Away in a manger at her local nativity trail she may get round to actually reading the deal and help out companies that are losing millions.
Also, I'm seriously considering buying a Ford Puma, but this week the price has risen by £2000 because some of the componants are made outside the EU, and you get no extra trim for the price rise, not sure why this should happen to be honest.
Anyone else noticed the prices sneakily going up in the supermarkets, I have, why is this?
If I had known this was going to happen I would never have voted leave, I feel mugged off that the Daily Mail and Twitter lied to me and that nice Gentleman with the top hat, Mr Mogg, assured me that all foreigners will be flogged after January 1st.
I feel a bit of a fool now, there is a poster on here who I put on ignore because he says we are all thickos, as a leaver i hate to admit i was wrong all along but he may have a point.

Please try and keep to factual discussion about the Brexit deal as it has now been published and what has been negotiated is becoming clearer. It wouldn't be in anyone's interest to take this thread off topic and get it merged into a thread elsewhere that is constantly taken off topic.

It's now clear what the 'deal' is, what this means to imports/exports, Britain's service industry, the fishing industry, what implications of leaving the EU are on people travelling, moving or retiring abroad, what new trade opportunities have been taken up in the year since we left the EU, etc etc

These are all now available as facts in black and white. Let's just keep to the facts

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Johnson admitting lying about Brexit negotiations and f**ing over yet another industry sector has made the news ?

EU proposal for visa-free tours by musicians despite Brexit was rejected, No 10 admits

No 10 has admitted an EU proposal to allow visa-free tours by musicians was rejected, apparently because of a belief it clashed with ending free movement. After days of arguing Brussels threw out a deal, the government has acknowledged it did turn down a plan, as The Independent revealed – but has refused to explain the reasons for doing so.

Music organisations had been repeatedly reassured that a Brexit deal would protect touring performers, as well as their support teams and equipment, in an industry worth £5.8bn a year to the UK economy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-music-tours-visa-free-eu-b1786588.html

Must be a slow news day ???

What we will see over time is the decline in emerging artists, only those with large resources will tour.

Nothing like screwing over something we are world beating at, kill things off at the green shoots stage...

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I ordered a shirt from my man in Spain on 20th December, they usually arrive in 48 hours. I've not got it yet.

My Italian and German suppliers are keeping their powder dry for now and not shipping to the UK

My Beligian/French customers have gone very quiet.

Its a deal, but a shit souffle with glace worms on top served with an endoparasitic Jus type of deal.

Luckily the NHS is now over funded by so much so people are queueing up to use it. :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do they have to remit VAT to HMRC on despatch - or on receipt of payment from the UK ?

Following up on your question about EU companies having to pay VAT on despatch, I hadn't realised that going the other way means VAT is now charged to the UK company on entry of goods to the Single market. This could spell very bad news for some UK exporters.

£34bn Brexit VAT bill pushes companies to the brink

Businesses across the UK are struggling to get to grips with new post-Brexit VAT rules that are adding billions of pound to operating cost and could send many smaller businesses to the wall. New rules mean goods shipped to EU countries are now liable for VAT when they enter the single market. Tax experts VAT IT estimate the levies could add £34bn ($47m) to the cost of UK trade with the EU.

The VAT changes are part of a raft of new arrangements that came into force from 1 January when the Brexit transition period ended. The new rules lead to a direct and significant increase in costs. Companies face an average VAT rate of 20% on goods shipped into the EU and the levy is as high as 27% in some countries.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/brexit-vat-eu-uk-trade-vat-it-cost-smes-darren-jones-135334254.html

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
British Gas are planning to sack all their staff and rehire them on completely different contracts. Employment rights going downhill rapidly.

No link to leaving the EU whatsoever. BA did it, while we were in the EU. Capita did it, while we were in the EU. EDF did it, while we were in the EU, Southern Water did it, while we were in the EU. Ryan Air did it , while we were in the EU and they're based in Ireland anyway who are of course, in the EU.

That doesn't make it right but it has bugger all to do with us leaving the EU.

As for the 48 hour Work Directive - I really can't remember the last time I saw a contract that didn't auto-opt the employee out anyway. A useless bit of legislation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I spoke to the HMRC about something unrelated to Brexit a short while ago. I needed some advice, which wasn’t forthcoming. I said I had a concern as I needed the info to submit a return....he said he’d make a note on my account but not to worry too much as they were about 2 years behind chasing people up anyway. This was before Brexit. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports