Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ok, thanks for that! So 4.4% of shitloads goes missing, no one really knows where and that's ok. Yep, can't see why anyone would grumble about that. Or ask awkward questions from within. Bit of a theme occurring here! Comparisons with FIFA are bang on!

I wasn't suggesting that it was a good thing...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We have a 3 billion(?) population Commonwealth desperate to do business with us. Growing economies, not stagnant and/or shrinking. Exciting times.

I was involved in a trade mission to India in 1990, out of all the products they were offered to import, they chose to buy £ 15000 worth of non-sliding table mats.
It didn't even pay for the trip, and that btw, was a trade deal independent of the EU, that according to some we werent alllowed under EU rules.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And there was nothing stopping us before. We were allowed to have separate trade deals.

no we arent. in the EU you have to apply EU trade policy and tariffs. you do some bi-lateral investment deals, but you cant materially alter the day to day trade arrangments with non-EU members. not that this stops one from trading with the commonwealth nations of course, just that it has to be on EU dictated terms. due to the protectionist nature, they have imposed a number of tariffs over the years that make this problematic. example, importation of sugar cane such as imported from the caribbean has a minimum price of 335EUR applied, not on home grown sugar beet, so UK have to over pay to buy sugar cane from Jamica over beet from France (or cane from their caribbean colonies that come under EU trade)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah,I was a soldier,did active service in Ulster and Oman.Happy Armed Forces Day to you,too.I just try to wake up some of the smug idiots on here who think they know it all.I was only malicious in Ulster,or so I was told most days!

Don't let Bushy see that, he is the only gay in the village you know.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
The real world of farming away from the cameras is very very poor....many especially milk farmers
I know many farmers through work, many many diary farms are now owned directly by the supermarkets or consortiums ( private owned are not rich )
Many farmers voted leave as a lot of the subsidy that is always getting shouted about goes to the landowner. Great if you own the farm but crap if you are a tenant farmer as the subsidy goes to your ( normally) wealthy landlord.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So what you're saying is that Farage is a full of shit racist, unless it works for you?

Gotcha.

Having looked again I can't see such a reference.

I am, however, pointing out that the headline act in the exit campaign does not consider a 52-48 split as a suitable enough majority to let the issue drop.

Would that be preparatory, yet unrealised, 'sour grapes' or a reasonable position to take ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nigel Farage: 16th May

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

Does that not work the other way ?

only if you are prepared to agree with Farage.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know many farmers through work, many many diary farms are now owned directly by the supermarkets or consortiums ( private owned are not rich )
Many farmers voted leave as a lot of the subsidy that is always getting shouted about goes to the landowner. Great if you own the farm but crap if you are a tenant farmer as the subsidy goes to your ( normally) wealthy landlord.

Very true.....Brightonians will not see a poor farm too close to Brighton but they are out there..within Sussex too..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, BJ was like an underwhelmed rabbit in headlights when he realised they had won.

Since Cameron resigned he hasn't looked so plucky in demeanour.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Since Cameron resigned he hasn't looked so plucky in demeanour.

To be fair on Borris, Cameron and Corbyn for that matter it's been a long slog, lot's of travelling we had a general election last year as well.....so I will cut them all some slack..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In other words, the brexiters, with the best of intentions, got it wrong because of the failure of the English education system. I think we should blame the teachers and lecturers then.
Why should it always come down to money? The referendum wasn't about how much money we would lose although the remain campaign would have liked us to believe it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here