Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Incredible & Emotional Day - Thank you Boris. I hope you get your own column like Nelson & in years to come subsequent generations will look up to you with a tear in their eyes - having given us back our pride, identity & independence.

The nation will be ever so thankful - I hope the Queen bestows the highest possible honour to you.

Arise Sir Johnson.
Some people should not be allowed alcohol, ever.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am indeed a supporter of parliamentary democracy. Can I take it that you are too, and supported our parliamentarians' right to follow their consciences during the May government?

They had the right - or perhaps 'the power invested in them' is a better way of describing it - but I strongly disagreed with their thinking - and I suspected some of their motives too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remember we had to endure a decade of austerity after the 2008 crash, when the deficit was around 40-60% of GDP, it's currently above 100% and Brexit will have a negative effect on our GDP. I can understand the tabloid-esque triumphalism but from a purely economic perspective it's complete lunacy, our economy will contract about 15% over 10 years.

Question is will we suffer more austerity or tax rises?
But people voted to be worse off, Covid-19 is just going to delay the mythical benefits of leaving from 50 years ( Mogg, JR) to about 70 years now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Remember we had to endure a decade of austerity after the 2008 crash, when the deficit was around 40-60% of GDP, it's currently above 100% and Brexit will have a negative effect on our GDP. I can understand the tabloid-esque triumphalism but from a purely economic perspective it's complete lunacy, our economy will contract about 15% over 10 years.

i reckon tax rises, which do you think?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not long. Anyone in Northern Ireland can apply for an Irish passport and have freedom of movement, so it'll all fall into place soon enough.
I think you have to have lived in NI for 5 years to get an Irish passport, so anyone who packed their bags and moved there 4 1/2 years ago after the referendum nearly has their ( non-blue ) EU passport in their hands.

I can see Queens University in Belfast being harder to get into than Oxford or Cambridge going forward.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think you have to have lived in NI for 5 years to get an Irish passport, so anyone who packed their bags and moved there 4 1/2 years ago after the referendum nearly has their ( non-blue ) EU passport in their hands.

True. If you're born there though, it's just an application away.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Suddenly all the Brexiteers didn't want a no deal? :lol: remarkable

Aside from the few idiots on this thread who'll cheer anything, the deal will be scrutinised in the coming days and I'll be interested to see how the reality of it unfolds, differs and defines from Johnson's triumphalist bullshit today.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You don't seem to have understood the Parliamentary democratic process that has lead to Brexit very well. Let us then look at your hanging scenario.

In the highly unlikely event of parliament offering the UK a referendum on bringing back hanging, and the equally unlikely event of 51% voting in favour of it, I have no doubt at all that Parliament would block any such legislation. Bit like Brexit really, eh?

Should a General Election then be called, and one of the parties stood with a manifesto commitment to bring back hanging, and if they were then elected with a massive (say about 80 seats) majority in the Commons, they would then have a mandate to do just that, and it would be re-introduced through the medium of Parliamentary democracy.

Of course, many people would be very unhappy about it, but that is how Parliamentary democracy works. It would be a very arrogant stance to take to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you on a give topic - Brexit, let's say - doesn't understand Parliamentary democracy. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that. :)

Having a mandate and having the will to do it are two different things, as I said Parliament has generally acted as a moderating force to populist ideas , hanging was stopped when the majority of people still believed it should happen. Parliament democracy is based on first past the post whilst real democracy which is what tom alluded to, is about consensus and compromise to suit everyone.

Not sure if I was being arrogant and certainly not my intention always happy to debate with reasonable people as its through debate you achieve consensus and compromise .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The previous parliament continually blocked the result of the democratically arrived at result of the referendum. Needed unblocking - if only to silence that bellowing STOP BREXIT **** with the megaphone who thought his voice was more important than anybody else's

I agree with you on this if only to silence that bellowing STOP BREXIT **** with the megaphone who thought his voice was more important than anybody else's

Merry Christmas...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ten years after voting to take it all back because it's ours, Johnny Foreigner will still be able to fish in our waters. Strange victory.

Think its fair to say the EU got what they wanted to protect their members. For Johnson in the end he has been forced to deal with reality

No rejoicing though from the EU, they are sad the UK has left we contributed a lot, without us the Single Market may never have happened

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You don't seem to have understood the Parliamentary democratic process that has lead to Brexit very well. Let us then look at your hanging scenario.

In the highly unlikely event of parliament offering the UK a referendum on bringing back hanging, and the equally unlikely event of 51% voting in favour of it, I have no doubt at all that Parliament would block any such legislation. Bit like Brexit really, eh?

Should a General Election then be called, and one of the parties stood with a manifesto commitment to bring back hanging, and if they were then elected with a massive (say about 80 seats) majority in the Commons, they would then have a mandate to do just that, and it would be re-introduced through the medium of Parliamentary democracy.

Of course, many people would be very unhappy about it, but that is how Parliamentary democracy works. It would be a very arrogant stance to take to suggest that anyone who disagrees with you on a give topic - Brexit, let's say - doesn't understand Parliamentary democracy. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that. :)

I disagree entirely, there is no mandate as first past the post is a joke. As I've been saying for 20 years. Which is why hardly anywhere uses it anymore.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Incredible & Emotional Day - Thank you Boris. I hope you get your own column like Nelson & in years to come subsequent generations will look up to you with a tear in their eyes - having given us back our pride, identity & independence.

The nation will be ever so thankful - I hope the Queen bestows the highest possible honour to you.

Arise Sir Johnson.

I thought you’d promised Bozza to ‘rein it in a bit’? Please do so, or you’ll end up having to post only on your main account.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Tories have piled on the debt, piled on austerity and destroyed the tax base all in 10 years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having a mandate and having the will to do it are two different things, as I said Parliament has generally acted as a moderating force to populist ideas , hanging was stopped when the majority of people still believed it should happen. Parliament democracy is based on first past the post whilst real democracy which is what tom alluded to, is about consensus and compromise to suit everyone.

Not sure if I was being arrogant and certainly not my intention always happy to debate with reasonable people as its through debate you achieve consensus and compromise .
Always happy to debate - and I recognise that you were trying to tie me in knots! Nothing personal, but I expect we disagree on a few things(!) Don't know the details of tonight's deal, but I expect that for you it will be better than no deal, and for me it will be better than remaining in. Suspect I'll be happier than you!
I do agree with #THPP on this thread though - anything that shuts up that **** with the megaphone...........!
Happy Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here