Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The majority voted left-right though. Didn't say overwhelmingly or neat, just majority. Don't twist my words to start an argument where there is none.

You used a double negative in your first sentence, meaning that you felt it was a right versus left issue. You did not use the word parties in that sentence.

3F26A9DF-27B0-4C8E-AD36-F866FDE74C51.png

I and others are saying that many millions of never Tory voters wanted Brexit eg away from the south, whilst many Tories believed in Remain.

I’m talking beyond parties and MP’s, the electorate.

Jan 30, 2008
It's very noticeable on the 'Brexit Good News' thread on the main Board. Despite having a day to think about it, no leave supporter has been capable of giving a single definable or measurable benefit to Brexit but have simply given the normal, visceral, non definable (or measurable) benefits to voting leave. Long gone are the 'new trade deals', 'wonderful new opportunities', 'easiest deals in history', 'taking back control' etc etc

These are all genuine quotes from that thread.

There's the blind hope that something undefined will turn up (even still clinging onto the imaginary 'good deal')

that we'll be financially poorer BUT I think what we lose financially we gain from our independence from a political organisation
I think we are pretty close to a deal that suits all parties (all negotiators)

or, if you are young enough and live long enough there's apparent hope that you may seem some benefits

Still have absolute faith that even this government will take advantage of new opportunities - but the benefits will be truly apparent in a decade and decades to come
I'm not sure it will be possible to judge how it's gone until at least twenty years have passed since we've properly left

But the vast majority are still blaming the EU for getting the UK into this situation rather than the UK's inability to carry out it's promises and leave

The realisation that "you can never truly leave..." like a political Patrick McGooohan is something we learnt after the vote
not least because the EU don't want our leaving to be smooth or painless
so I still feel it's the right decision but the leaving process has been far more problematic than necessary
The EU unsurprisingly have exploited this weakness

No matter how many times they are told that the EU can do nothing to stop us leaving, and it's the fact that we still want to keep some of the EU benefits that's causing the problems, they keep coming back with this drivel.

Same old, same old. As the whole half-baked clusterf*** steadily and inexorably turns to shit, It's always someone else's fault

Still we'll have a better idea exactly how deep the shit is in a few weeks

Tick tock

:timmy:
Regards
DF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nigel Farage complains about them too, despite being invited onto QT more than any other politician in the country bar Paddy Ashdown, Claire Short and Roy Hattersly who all had long parliamentary careers. John Humphrey himself was accused of pro Brexit bias and having a cosy relationship with the Daily Mail and Boris Johnson, which the BBC defended him over.
Here is a piece arguing that the BBC gave too much time to Leave proponents https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-...ctually-going-on-with-the-bbc-and-brexit-bias

I think John Humphrys opinion is valid, but to be impartial, you would have to consider an alternative opinion too, wouldn't you?

Internet slurs against Humphrys, a pushback because he dared not tow the Remain line in his work. Personally he was and is a passionate Remainer.

He thought that the BBC should listen and broadcast all views, including in unfashionable towns away from the big cities, he’s also mentioned the Daily Mail which he thought should form part of BBC material only because it represented the views of those folk.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC has an extensive network of regional tv and radio programs and of course, The World Service. To claim its London centric is a bit OTT.
Of course a lot of coverage is given to London, it’s the capital of England and where the country is run from. Some grubby suburb of Newcastle is never going to garner much attention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a reason we have devolved governments in Wales, Scotland and NI. As well as directly elected mayors and Unitary Authorities. It's because the people want as much influence over political decisions as possible - the EU doesn't give us that.

But both Scotland and NI voted to remain in the EU. Given they want devolution from England but voted to be part of the EU I do not see this as evidence of “ as much influence over political decisions as possible” - more the simple fact they prefer being with a sensible progressive body as opposed to the bell-ends who run England. I can understand why.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But both Scotland and NI voted to remain in the EU. Given they want devolution from England but voted to be part of the EU I do not see this as evidence of “ as much influence over political decisions as possible” - more the simple fact they prefer being with a sensible progressive body as opposed to the bell-ends who run England. I can understand why.

Quite. And look what happens when we are given a choice.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It was all going well until like the vile two faced liar you are, you turned up, you need a hobby, have you thought of supporting a football team?

Good point well made.

I recall Nibble saying he didn’t even like football, it was fair enough really though, the only time he had ever been was to watch the Albion on one occasion at Withdean, which in fairness wasn’t the greatest of fun for any of us (relatively speaking). Just thought it was odd a non football loving person being on a football forum, but seeing how argumentative he is people like nibble will always creep under the radar.

It was a shame Nibble had never bothered to give the Amex a go though, he moaned he didn’t fancy it because it was corporate money grabbing or some such nonsense…………the least he could have done was to tell his chum clampy to try it out.

I guess since clampy has us both on ignore (snigger) he wont be reading this exchange. Wonder what ever happened to his mate nibble?

And for the record, this apocalyptic twatfest was in the pit when I found it.

Well of course it was you slimy bottom feeder, it’s where you lurk!

:lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

So what if the majority in Scotland and NI voted for remain.
One day you will work out it was a national not regional vote. The region of Scotland voting in the majority for remain is about as important to the vote outcome as Brighton voting to remain or pro Labour Rotherham voting to Leave.
It is nothing more than statistics that have no bearing on the collective national decision.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The remain viewpoint at the time was not political bias but common sense. They would feel vindicated by it looking at where we are today, no deal, lorry parks and Kent becoming the toilet of England proves it. You criticise people who been proved correct about leave yet the people on leave side have been wrong about everything like Gove and there now in control. the trouble with yours and brexiters argument is it only satisfies leavers not everyone so you will never get a Brexit that is right for EVERYONE

If Remain had won how would the remain side have satisfied Leavers and made a version of remaining members of the EU that satisfied EVERYONE including those that didn’t want to be members at all?

And Brexit is Nationalism,

Only in your head

debates with leavers are usually always centred around British exceptionalism,

nope, being a country that is a non-member of the EU is not exceptionalism

almost every leave voter sees Europe as our enemy,

nope again, never heard anyone say Europe is our enemy........all in your head

they have disdain for the EU

Yep, plenty of Leavers do have disdain for the EU and dont like membership of the political organisation that is the EU………..what a shocker.

the reality quickly evaporatea and is replaced by - we used to have an empire, nostalgia, Britain rules the waves, before you know you're talking about the war.

Absurd generalisation and a narrative invented by people like you

And almost every leaver puts immigration at the top of their list.

Absurd generalisation again and not true, even if it was true (which it isnt) so bloody what. There is nothing wrong with having concerns over immigration.

Leave-vs-Remain-podium-rankings-795x1024.jpg

If it was a purely economic decision we would remain!

Membership of the EU wasn’t a purely economic decision though was it, you wishing it had been, when it clearly could not have ever been purely an economic decision is utterly pointless.

Oh by the way - I'd have nick Clegg over boris Johnson in a heartbeat

I have absolutely no doubt you would , your internal failures, demons and struggles are none of my business though.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you make a full recovery..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep, all going as expected :)

Felixstowe Port in 'chaos' as Christmas and Brexit loom....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-54908129

“Project fear” is a stark reality. Shops that are already in trouble will not get the stock they need to try and repair some of the recent lost trade. Well, obviously the huge foreign owned supermarkets will because they can pass on the extra costs to customers but the independent retailers who import will be in trouble.
Oh well, I guess we’ll just have to sit indoors and order off that great British company, Amazon.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yep, all going as expected :)

Felixstowe Port in 'chaos' as Christmas and Brexit loom....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-54908129

“Project fear” is a stark reality. Shops that are already in trouble will not get the stock they need to try and repair some of the recent lost trade. Well, obviously the huge foreign owned supermarkets will because they can pass on the extra costs to customers but the independent retailers who import will be in trouble.
Oh well, I guess we’ll just have to sit indoors and order off that great British company, Amazon.

I know, right. You'd think that even the more looney brexiteers on here would know that their brexit government is full of incompetents. Its like being led by the class halfwit at the moment.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The Brexit jihadists seem blindsided by the fact their leaders have ****ed this up, that we are either a vassal state in a few weeks if Boris capitulatss (although he’ll be putting lipstick on that pig) or we leave without a deal and then after some months sign up to a vassal state deal. :ffsparr:

Jan 30, 2008
It's clear to see who the spoilt brats are on this thread and why its ended up here , I mean anyone who talks about Nick Clegg and is a Lib dem supporter
needs to give their heads a wobble, crying into their cornflakes springs to mind
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what if the majority in Scotland and NI voted for remain.
One day you will work out it was a national not regional vote. The region of Scotland voting in the majority for remain is about as important to the vote outcome as Brighton voting to remain or pro Labour Rotherham voting to Leave.
It is nothing more than statistics that have no bearing on the collective national decision.

I think you missed the context, i.e. the post I quoted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How strange - [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] get's involved and the thread get's Bear Piited.

Yes, I noticed that as well.

Leave voting poster makes a factually incorrect statement.
I point out very politely that the statement it is factually incorrect.
Leave voter posts insults and rants in response, and gets the thread sent to the Bear Pit.

Happens every time. I can't imagine why :shrug:

I even praised you as an exception to this earlier in the thread. How you have have recognised that it will definitely be bad for us economically and no one has any idea how bad. But you are happy to take this completely unknown hit on the UK as, to you, it's really a matter of principle. (Unless, of course, there's a parmesan crust involved :wink:)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here