[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think anything can change Johnson's ability to f*** Britain up even more than he is doing, so I'm afraid it's simply [emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:

Japan trade deal commits UK to stricter state aid curbs than in EU talks

https://www.ft.com/content/edb7d155-56b4-4065-9f83-31b2247fa178?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6&__twitter_impression=true

The UK’s new trade deal with Japan commits it to tougher restrictions on state aid than the ones it is currently offering the EU in the Brexit talks, potentially undermining its negotiating position with Brussels.

In the bilateral UK-Japan agreement announced in principle on Friday, London and Tokyo have agreed to replicate the restrictions on subsidies in the EU-Japan deal that went into effect last year. That agreement prohibits the governments from indefinitely guaranteeing the debts of struggling companies or providing an open-ended bailout without a clear restructuring plan in place.

By contrast, the UK has repeatedly told the EU that it must have total freedom over state aid after the end of the Brexit transition period with complete autonomy over future subsidy decisions, subject to WTO rules.

So Liz Truss has now agreed to the exact same thing that Johnson and his mob are insisting cannot happen (and she probably didn't realise it) in order to be able to announce the Japan deal. Shame that no one in Government seems to be able to do detail. Just further proof that there isn't and never was any 'plan', just a bunch of total incompetents blindly flailing around in the dark :facepalm:
Lightly Baked will be on in a minute with some new insinuation about Jeremy Corbyn or some mobile phone footage of looting in Missouri. Meanwhile, we are led by a corrupt regime.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Lightly Baked will be on in a minute with some new insinuation about Jeremy Corbyn or some mobile phone footage of looting in Missouri. Meanwhile, we are led by a corrupt regime.

Surely on Vlad's payroll.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surely on Vlad's payroll.....
Yes, I agree, only tends to post an endless series of diversionary posts to cloud the waters and deflect from the issues... His series of rambling posts and perceived fury on BLM suggesting " defunding " some US police forces was a cracker.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Johnson was completely owned by Milliband in the commons yesterday, you feel he was completely unprepared and had no answers

"For the first time in his life it's time to take responsibility"...

His body language says it all...

Capture.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG71rhV9ocI

Alas, the bill has passed the first hurdle almost unopposed from the Tories

We're at low point in our national life, this is an attack on the most basic principles of liberal democracy. Without the rule of law we are reduced to a rogue state and an International puriah

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You can't make this stuff up, so apparantly the UK / Japan trade deal has stricter rules about state aid than what they are negotiating with the EU?

We are a total laughing stock

[tweet]1305233675030847491[/tweet]

I read this on twitter yesterday and thought some people are just stirring. It seems it is true, we're just desperate..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Johnson was completely owned by Milliband in the commons yesterday, you feel he was completely unprepared and had no answers

View attachment 128371

We're at low point in our national life, this is an attack on the most basic principles of liberal democracy. Without the rule of law we are reduced to a rogue state and an International puriah

But if Johnson's got his way, that would mean a land border between NI/Ireland, and I can't imagine that he would want that as his legacy. Unless of course, after all this waffle and complete incompetence, he is going to U-turn, take the deal that's been on the table all along, and Britain get's BRINO.

I notice they haven't started laying the tarmac yet :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But if Johnson's got his way, that would mean a land border between NI/Ireland, and I can't imagine that he would want that as his legacy. Unless of course, after all this waffle and complete incompetence, he is going to U-turn, take the deal that's been on the table all along, and Britain get's BRINO.

I notice they haven't started laying the tarmac yet :wink:

you really think that? i've lost track of the many bluffs and counter bluffs, seems they do want to go no deal. i havent a clue whats in it for any one, but pushing EU into a position they wont accept doesnt look like they want a deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
you really think that? i've lost track of the many bluffs and counter bluffs, seems they do want to go no deal. i havent a clue whats in it for any one, but pushing EU into a position they wont accept doesnt look like they want a deal.

I want 'no deal' as I think that is the best way for the Brexit brigade to get the maximum benefit of what they want.

But, up to now, if you had bet on the complete opposite of everything Johnson says and does (up until he U-turns each time), you will be quids in :wink:

It's like watching an enormous train crash, where you know what's going to happen, you know you can't stop it and you really can't look away. And people like Ppf, Baker lite etc are all sitting in the first carriage, waving happily at you, as you watch :lolol:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I want 'no deal' as I think that is the best way for the Brexit brigade to get the maximum benefit.

But, up to now, if you had bet on the complete opposite of everything Johnson says and does (up until he U-turns each time), you will be quids in :wink:
Me too.

I want a short, disasterous no deal period from which there is no hiding from responsibility for Johnson & Co.

Resulting in an inevitable vote of no confidence ( or Johnson being replaced ) and then they can be run out of town on the horse they rode in on.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would expect after the 6 months of disruption of No Deal (unlike when stuff ran out in March they can't just "catch up" with demand, that's it) EFTA membership will suddenly be being touted as the magic solution

If you want a clue on what Brexit is going to mean, here we go;

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eport-warns-of-queues-of-7000-lorries-in-kent

- Massive queues at airports & Eurostar terminals
- 7,000 lorry queue in Kent taking two days to get to the port
- No functioning IT system currently in place
- Any lorry driver entering Kent without the required paperwork could be arrested

It seems as well as moving the Irish border into the sea, the Government is also moving the EU border to the edge of Kent. But hey, it's what all those Brexit voters in Kent wanted.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Me too.

I want a short, disasterous no deal period from which there is no hiding from responsibility for Johnson & Co.

Resulting in an inevitable vote of no confidence ( or Johnson being replaced ) and then they can be run out of town on the horse they rode in on.

No deal would be disaster. Just talking to a client today about the ramifications today of turning off the Gallieo satelite on the UK, we'd be looking at serious long term damage. And all this on top of the deepest recession in the developed world. The spiffs and speculators should do OK are sterling bounces all over the shop every time Brexit takes another twist

Everywhere we look its just incompetence. Remainers look like they will be fully vindicated, something I always feared would happen and hoped never would

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I would expect after the 6 months of disruption of No Deal (unlike when stuff ran out in March they can't just "catch up" with demand, that's it) EFTA membership will suddenly be being touted as the magic solution

If you want a clue on what Brexit is going to mean, here we go;

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eport-warns-of-queues-of-7000-lorries-in-kent

- Massive queues at airports & Eurostar terminals
- 7,000 lorry queue in Kent taking two days to get to the port
- No functioning IT system currently in place
- Any lorry driver entering Kent without the required paperwork could be arrested

It seems as well as moving the Irish border into the sea, the Government is also moving the EU border to the edge of Kent. But hey, it's what all those Brexit voters in Kent wanted.

Aren’t the latest (illegal) proposals for Ireland effectively creating a hard border between NI and the Republic? By saying there will now be no checks between NI and mainland UK surely the EU are obliged to insist on a hard border.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me too.

And as an internationalist, I want to see the full consequences of breaking international law.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Aren’t the latest (illegal) proposals for Ireland effectively creating a hard border between NI and the Republic? By saying there will now be no checks between NI and mainland UK surely the EU are obliged to insist on a hard border.

think its more subtle than that, its an option to make changes to rules, not an outright change now. there would still be checks UK-NI if the goods go onward, but not the reverse.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexiteers banking on a WTO will be delighted to know that Article 6 and 16 also require a level playing field for state aid

Found lockdown tough, almost no cash transactions and still waiting for my first Brexit 50p

Jan 30, 2008

View attachment 128371

People have had enough of flakey liberal democracy , maybe have a word with Jo
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]1305949186442002433[/tweet]

Speaking is of customs...

Logistics UK, which represents freight businesses, said it was informed by government officials on Monday that a beta - or test - version would be available in December, but would not be fully operational until April.

With the governments record on IT projects what could possible go wrong?

Still going for the light touch border on January 1?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No trade deal with the EU and no trade deal with the US if Parliament pass Johnson's law breaking Bill.

Johnson needs to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports