Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Blimey a 5 or 6 year extension to the transition!!! What on earth….
The Withdrawal Treaty allows for an extension to the transition of two years max, not 5 or 6 anyway.

Well, if you are happy that Brexit is done, whats the problem?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well, if you are happy that Brexit is done, whats the problem?

Getting Brexit done, ie getting the withdrawal treaty finished, finally getting the withdrawal legislation through parliament and no longer being members of the European Union......and the Transition Period, the period after we are no longer members.......are NOT the same thing.
Why are a few of you still struggling to comprehend this.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Getting Brexit done, ie getting the withdrawal treaty finished, finally getting the withdrawal legislation through parliament and no longer being members of the European Union......and the Transition Period, the period after we are no longer members.......are NOT the same thing.
Why are a few of you still struggling to comprehend this.

If you use the narrowest possible meaning to the word Brexit, you are correct. However most grown ups are concerned with what the consequences of being out are, which are as yet not "done". The question "what does Brexit mean?" surely requires more than "Britain leaves the EU" or "Brexit means Brexit". Farage, Johnson and all the other bullshitters had plenty to say about what Brexit meant in the campaign, and as of today, we can't say any of that is true can we?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If you use the narrowest possible meaning to the word Brexit, you are correct. However most grown ups are concerned with what the consequences of being out are, which are as yet not "done". The question "what does Brexit mean?" surely requires more than "Britain leaves the EU" or "Brexit means Brexit". Farage, Johnson and all the other bullshitters had plenty to say about what Brexit meant in the campaign, and as of today, we can't say any of that is true can we?

In conclusion then Brexit is done---thanks Boris
and the Transition Period is not yet done

what a shocker

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am sure a person with the right skill sets and nous can make this happen still?

A person with EU citizenship has it as a right, regardless of skill set, money in the bank or who they are married to, as long as they are not a criminal or a threat to public health.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
A person with EU citizenship has it as a right, regardless of skill set, money in the bank or who they are married to, as long as they are not a criminal or a threat to public health.

this

I expect the very wealthy will be able to move around at will

the rest of us can go **** ourselves, obviously

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this

The very wealthy have already got themselves and their families different passports, Maltese, German, French and Irish so they can continue.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In conclusion then Brexit is done---thanks Boris
and the Transition Period is not yet done

what a shocker

Rewind to the start of this little episode, and we get the question "Now remind me, what exactly is this BREXIT ?"

If we rewind a little further, like 4 years or more, I reckon you would have had a much fuller description than " Britain leaves the EU". And when the transition ends, we will know to a much greater extent what Brexit means, but if you agree with Rees-Mogg, it will take 50 years of hindsight to work out whether it was worth it or not.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
this

You don't have to be wealthy to have transferable skills that will appeal to governments or businesses of foreign countries, obviously. You just have to prove that you can offer something that is beneficial to them. It seems reasonable that if you do want to emigrate someplace you should probably enrich or benefit the host nation that is accommodating you.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You don't have to be wealthy to have transferable skills that will appeal to governments or businesses of foreign countries, obviously. You just have to prove that you can offer something that is beneficial to them. It seems reasonable that if you do want to emigrate someplace you should probably enrich or benefit the host nation that is accommodating you.

I am going to guess you didn't start out life in Yorkshire? I am sure you didn't need to prove your worth to move there though, and why should you?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What the hell are you on about? I know some up here would like it but last time I checked Yorkshire still isn't a republic.

My point was the absurdity of your question about unlimited immigration to and from different countries in the EU. It is the same as unlimited movement to and from different regions of the UK, it is limited by the work available in a given area.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
My point was the absurdity of your question about unlimited immigration to and from different countries in the EU. It is the same as unlimited movement to and from different regions of the UK, it is limited by the work available in a given area.

We are going to have to disagree on this. We are a small Island with a finite infrastructure. There has to be a control on the numbers factored in. I don't believe in zero immigration by any means but it has to be managed carefully. I am the son of an immigrant by the way also I wasn't born in the UK and I am certainly not a racist.

D

Deleted member 22389

We are going to have to disagree on this. We are a small Island with a finite infrastructure. There has to be a control on the numbers factored in. I don't believe in zero immigration by any means but it has to be managed carefully. I am the son of an immigrant by the way also I wasn't born in the UK and I am certainly not a racist.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here