Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The two biggest problems we have in the UK Food Trade is contract pricing to supermarkets, which commits our producers to long term volumes at low margin and cheap imports from the EU, as a result of animal welfare standards that are lower in some countries than the UK. e.g Bacon from Holland, Eggs from France, Belgium and Holland. Supermarkets argue that the consumer wants a consistent price and our producers are held to ransom. They negotiate a rock bottom price at the outset and are then guaranteed that for anything from 6 to 24 months, irrespective of the market. With the dairy industry, which is particularly sensitive, I would much prefer a minimum profit margin guarantee, fixed for all producers. An industry standard that all producers can use to plan long term and grow rather than be totally in the clutches of the supermarkets.

The supermarkets will be buy what consumers demand, Brits have a poor relationship with food and the worst diet in Europe. A lot of people will from Denmark because its cheap (yes lower welfare than UK) and if we get crap beef from the US in future they will buy that because its cheap

The subject of what price suppliers get is a different conservation, suppliers in both UK and Europe get screwed. Try getting a Tory government to talk to the British Retail Consortium about this...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The two biggest problems we have in the UK Food Trade is contract pricing to supermarkets, which commits our producers to long term volumes at low margin and cheap imports from the EU, as a result of animal welfare standards that are lower in some countries than the UK. e.g Bacon from Holland, Eggs from France, Belgium and Holland. Supermarkets argue that the consumer wants a consistent price and our producers are held to ransom. They negotiate a rock bottom price at the outset and are then guaranteed that for anything from 6 to 24 months, irrespective of the market. With the dairy industry, which is particularly sensitive, I would much prefer a minimum profit margin guarantee, fixed for all producers. An industry standard that all producers can use to plan long term and grow rather than be totally in the clutches of the supermarkets.

Couldn't agree more. Although the UK is a long way from perfect, and unlikely to get better in the near future, we always buy English-sourced bacon and eggs with poo on them. Dutch and Danish pork products are specifically avoided. Milk comes from the Co-op: not ideal and cheaper than it should be but at least it's organic. The problem though is money. We can afford to spend £14 on a 2kg chicken but many can't. And many simply won't.

There are places where the market really shouldn't rule and anything involving animal welfare is one of them.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's more that we're bored of the bollox ( to use your word ) predictions when you have no idea what deal will be struck. So therefore we've left the doomsayers to their own echo chamber .... enjoy :thumbsup:

Having no idea what sort of deal will be struck, if indeed any deal is struck at all ?

Shirley, that would mean Leavers had no idea what they were voting for whatsoever. Are you sure you've got this right, because I'm sure I've read differently on here :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Couldn't agree more. Although the UK is a long way from perfect, and unlikely to get better in the near future, we always buy English-sourced bacon and eggs with poo on them. Dutch and Danish pork products are specifically avoided. Milk comes from the Co-op: not ideal and cheaper than it should be but at least it's organic. The problem though is money. We can afford to spend £14 on a 2kg chicken but many can't. And many simply won't.

There are places where the market really shouldn't rule and anything involving animal welfare is one of them.

I agree entirely with your last point but not sure how chlorinated chicken is anything to do with animal welfare ? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy it but the chickens are already dead before the process is used.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Having no idea what sort of deal will be struck, if indeed any deal is struck at all ?

Shirley, that would mean Leavers had no idea what they were voting for whatsoever. Are you sure you've got this right, because I'm sure I've read differently on here :facepalm:

Nice twisting of my post !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree entirely with your last point but not sure how chlorinated chicken is anything to do with animal welfare ? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy it but the chickens are already dead before the process is used.

They are kept in less than hygienic conditions during their lifetime because the chlorine washes away all the bacteria.

It’s a cheap way of getting round having to treat them well, basically.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I quoted your post, just above mine. It's complete, unedited but, apparently twisted :shrug:

OK, if you don't like the word twisted lets use the phrase 'purposeful misinterpretation' - you have history in this of course.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't give a fig. I voted to leave like it said on the voting slip. Yes or No..you keep on worrying on my behalf though and look forward to your nice Blue passport

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK, if you don't like the word twisted lets use the phrase 'purposeful misinterpretation' - you have history in this of course.

I read your post, quoted it and replied to it :shrug:

I'll give you your due though, you're the only one of the three Brexit Musketeers who hasn't edited a post of mine and then try to claim I said it. I'll give you that sunshine, I'll give you that :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't give a fig. I voted to leave like it said on the voting slip. Yes or No..you keep on worrying on my behalf though and look forward to your nice Blue passport

Sadly, I suspected that you may struggle with the question and really shouldn't have asked you. Don't worry about it :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still beating themselves up I see. Any morsel of bad news that can remotely be badged to Brexit. Sod the record low unemployment

Someone is classed as being employed if they only work two hours a week on a zero hours contract. That’s how this government is cooking the figures.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Someone is classed as being employed if they only work two hours a week on a zero hours contract. That’s how this government is cooking the figures.

This has been pointed out, with evidence, countless times. They don't want to know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here