Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes but you had to add them altogether I was talking singular not a great figure when you consider its 27 countries all added together. Hows the EU budget talks going not good by all accounts and poor old Varadkar out on his arse

You've certainly got me there, as I had (and still have) no idea was going on in your mind when you asked the question whose GDP growth was 'bigger', the EU or Britain? As a question, it really requires you to 'add the EU figures together'. (I didn't, l looked them up - typical smartarse) :facepalm:

To be fair, the quantum physics/chimps thing was probably over the top, If understandable :wink:

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He could be referring to me quoting Article 7 which requires EU migrants to get a job within three months of arrival, and having health insurance.
The problem is that the UK never implemented this because they didn’t do exit checks.

Indeed, as you and perhaps others pointed out there were unused levers to manage some elements in the activities of new arrivals. But JCFG was talking about the 'control of immigration', a vastly wider concept.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Excellent. Can you give us an estimate - plus/minus one will be OK - of the actual number of posters who have been telling you that we always 'had control' of EU immigration?

well i have noted this for one. you cant have followed this subject and not seen anyone point it out, its been repeatedly gone over.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
well i have noted this for one. you cant have followed this subject and not seen anyone point it out, its been repeatedly gone over.

No one is denying that there are some conditions - regarding employment, for example, or criminal activities - that EU members can apply to new arrivals. However, I can't recall anyone claiming that the UK could control immigration numbers when a member of the EU, which was clearly what JCFG was implying given the context of his remark.

If this has been repeatedly said, then please illuminate me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Lets take another look at this Immigration bill, from another view - and taking purely the hospitality industry in the example.

If, and this is a massive if, we do have sufficient people in the UK to fill the employment demands after January 1st 2021, it most certainly won't be on the current wages. The industry, will, therefore, need to either reduce margins and/or increase prices.

Given the hugely competitive and over concentrated marketplace that exists across that industry in the UK we will see a large number of places disappear. We've already seen large numbers of restaurant/coffee shops/pub closures for some of the larger industry names, and this will not get any better. The places that will suffer first as a consequence will be smaller, more isolated communities (ironically those who voted Leave).

Seriously, who cares ?

They reap what they sowed.

Live by their vote, die by their vote.

One day we'll vote in a Government that cares about the population. Until then... no tears.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Comedy gold as ever on this thread. After nearly four years telling us we always had control of EU immigration and voting Brexit wouldn't result in any real reduction anyway .. the gloomerati NOW complain about the new immigration system, which we couldn't introduce while in the EU, reducing immigration to such a level that we will have a shortage of workers. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

And if you can't see at least the possibility of that happening, you must be fairly short-sighted.

Apart from anything else, it will make this a deeply unattractive place in many ways to come to for natives of other countries.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If they're a plant, why do they make them so transparent and dim? Or is this the mentality we have to put up with now: We've left the EU, but it's still their fault?

It turns out Mrs Shouty woman is a Tommy Robinson groupie. Photos all over Twitter of her. Most definitely a plant.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

It was always being pointed out that the UK could send EU nationals back to their country of origin if they didn't have paid work etc, but opted not to.

It was also pointed out that the UK had control of immigration from non EU countries; this makes up the majority of immigration into the UK.

I don't know if Brexiteers on here purposely confuse the two, or just do not understand the difference.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Too many working class thinking they're middle class and too many middle class thinking they're upper class. That right there is the problem

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It was also pointed out that the UK had control of immigration from non EU countries; this makes up the majority of immigration into the UK.

I don't know if Brexiteers on here purposely confuse the two, or just do not understand the difference.

I seem to remember May and Cameron blaming the EU because they missed the immigration targets they set as they has no control despite the fact that if EU migration was zero they were already over on non-EU

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Which country would that be? The one you don't live in, I guess?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There are 'leavers' on here who live in different countries. How did they answer this question for you?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We are about to enter the discomfort zone this week as the UK (by which we now mean Cummings) sets out its negotiating position to the EU. I think we are going to see much macho posturing which will be fundamentally underpinned by the 'they need us more than we need them' narrative which saw the light of day in 2016.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Too many working class thinking they're middle class and too many middle class thinking they're upper class. That right there is the problem

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Or the problem is that too many people are obsessed with what class people are apparently in.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I seem to remember May and Cameron blaming the EU because they missed the immigration targets they set as they has no control despite the fact that if EU migration was zero they were already over on non-EU

Cameron and May promoted their 'tens of thousands' immigration target in the sure knowledge that it was unachievable as long as we were members of the EU. The pledge was made simply to feed the Conservative's backbench trolls and their Fleet Street publicists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here