Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
When will Corbyn etc realize that all the vast majority of voters want is this brought to an end. ASAP. The best thing that could happen is Berscow to leave his post today.

He has allowed himself to be browbeaten from within by the likes of Starmer and Thornberry and from outside by the likes of Blair and Campbell ( even though he was expelled ! ) and now has nowhere else to go. They have made their bed and now have to lie in it. If they are gambling that 5m Labour/Leave voters will stay true to party principles, then I think they are probably going to get a rude shock.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another 1 million turnout in London yesterday, one arrest I notice that the DM actually are trying to make a story out of this

What was really striking yesterday wasn't just a sense of wanting to stay in the EU, but also of patriotism for Britain, so many union jacks. A real sense now that our Union is really hanging by a thread.

There were flags from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and I even saw one from Gibraltar.

By where were the English flags, has this flag now become toxic in the face of nationalism? Starting to feel that way...

There were a tidy few English flags behind the main stage, where speakers scuttled to and from parliament. Most they were fluttering above Brexit's finest, tattood and aggressive, launching themselves towards the speakers, video cameras going, red of face, abundant of spittle. They did it time and time again, although Diane Abbott and David Lammy got it worst. (Now what have those two got in common?) It went on for an hour at least. Great TV but BBC would have been too frightened to have covered it, and the MailExpressSunTelegraph will not give due coverage to anything that doesn't square with with its warped agenda.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am impatient because he has been the best weapon the anti Boris mob have had and will continue to do us harm for the remaining 10 days, possibly irreparable.

however jumped up he is, Bercow has allowed parliament to debate and not allow the government to dominate business, which is the job of the speaker.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He has allowed himself to be browbeaten from within by the likes of Starmer and Thornberry and from outside by the likes of Blair and Campbell ( even though he was expelled ! ) and now has nowhere else to go. They have made their bed and now have to lie in it. If they are gambling that 5m Labour/Leave voters will stay true to party principles, then I think they are probably going to get a rude shock.

not sure they are in for a shock, they know there are a lot of votes to be lost, which is why they avoid the general election

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
When will Corbyn etc realize that all the vast majority of voters want is this brought to an end. ASAP. The best thing that could happen is Berscow to leave his post today.

Yeah, how dare he do his job and not allow the government to do whatever the hell they want!

It's like you don't have a ****ing clue what his job is BG. Or is Bercow the current hate-figure for those too frustrated by the state of play?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yeah, how dare he do his job and not allow the government to do whatever the hell they want!

It's like you don't have a ****ing clue what his job is BG. Or is Bercow the current hate-figure for those too frustrated by the state of play?

He has certainly moved the goalposts for that role.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’d be up for Switzerland plus. The Switzerland bit would give the UK freedom of movement of people, goods, services and Labour and the Schengen. I’d be bang up for this. But you say plus....so what will we get on top? This will be an astonishing deal, almost EU plus.

Cheap watches and Alpine Holidays!!!:clap2::clap2::rock:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
however jumped up he is, Bercow has allowed parliament to debate and not allow the government to dominate business, which is the job of the speaker.

He is actually making sure that our government system works, which I believe is what lots of Brexiteers voted for.

Seemingly "taking back control" is being thwarted by the control we already have!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's not much hope of people realising this though, the pro Brexit media have hypnotised enough people to believe that leaving is worthwhile..... Despite the fact that there will only be negative benefits.

I think "negative benefits" is one of the finest examples of an oxymoron that I have ever seen.

It lightened my day, and also made me realise that oxymoron is not a word to describe Jacob Rees-Mogg.

edit: I'm beginning to think I'm not taking this seriously enough..... but what can I do about it?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I sometimes think I'd like to be a canvasser working for one of the other parties. I don't care which one, I'd just like to stand on the doorstep of a Loughton voter and confront them with print outs from this page...........

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10371/tim_loughton/east_worthing_and_shoreham/votes

And ask if that they are for and against all the same things as Loughton is, as demonstrably based on his voting record.

The former Childish Minister seems to have gone AWOL for an awful lot of votes. Isn't it a problem when our elected representatives can't even be arsed to turn up for work?

I felt the same when I saw that the vast majority of MPs can't be arsed to listen to a debate, but then they all flood in from the bars and restaurants to vote on a proposition when they haven't listened to the arguments. I find it appalling the way our elected representatives behave.

**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I see you're still blaming the referee. The Speaker of the House is there to make sure everything is done lawfully. No politician is above the law.
John Bercow has been voted into position three times by all the MPs in the House of Commons.

Maybe instead of blaming the referee (Speaker) you should be looking at who is trying to cut corners, act unlawfully, or just not follow procedure, and instead of not doing what you want, ask yourself why these politicians are so desperate to achieve something which is supposed to benefit us?

Maybe it will only benefit a small section of the British public? Maybe other politicians recognise that you and I, the general public will be shafted by this legislation. At least try and look at it from a broader point of view, than pointing the finger at one man.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The former Childish Minister seems to have gone AWOL for an awful lot of votes. Isn't it a problem when our elected representatives can't even be arsed to turn up for work?

I felt the same when I saw that the vast majority of MPs can't be arsed to listen to a debate, but then they all flood in from the bars and restaurants to vote on a proposition when they haven't listened to the arguments. I find it appalling the way our elected representatives behave.

**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**END OF**

Flooding in from the bars. Have you seen the footage of Michael Gove standing by the Speakers Chair? Standing is a loose description, he is swaying and seems to be drunk.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Its a bit like us fans blaming the ref for a bad decision. claiming he's biased etc etc. From what I see all Bercow is doing is trying to uphold the rules as he sees them. Some may disagree but someone has to uphold process.

Unless he turns into Mike Dean obviously....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
it isnt different regarding CU except for NI. links are the same during the transition, post transition is open to negotiation, and most changes are to the political declaration which is non-binding.

It is interesting that you don’t think a border between us and NI is that different. I have just seen something suggesting that exporters from NI to GB will need to fill out customs form. This is pretty big issue and surely the beginning of the end for the union.

I miss the days when The tories were championing NI as a place to do business because they keep the benefits of SM and CU. Was that last Friday? Fun times.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The speaker's position is being pressured as this government keeps losing votes and doesn't like it and nor do their backers, including those in the media, who are attcaking the speaker and the courts who are there to keep this kind of reckless government in check. Those that focus on Bercow need to have a long look and think about why the Tories (including some of broke the law during the referendum campaign) don't like him.

Here's a relevant thread for those who have no issue in trusting this law breaking PM, Cabinet members and their advisors.

[tweet]1185962901368168449[/tweet]

Getting Brexit done means not having to answer for any of this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The referendum in 2016 was an anti-establishment vote. To most, it didn't matter if there was some economic downturn as a result. The older generation have lived through all that shit before. Years of lies and deceit. They saw it as a beginning. Tweak their noses and kick their arses to start with before eventually draining the swamp and starting to rebuild with voting and parliamentary reform.In their eyes the status quo had to be broken up and this was their opportunity. It wasn't about immigration queues or slogans on buses. It was about change.

I agree with you. The 2016 Referendum vote had very little to do with the merits of being in or out of the EU, and it is this notion that eats away at Europhiles like me.

I think politically we're past the tipping point of considering the issues that are relevant to an election then voting accordingly. Elections are being decided on personalities, slogans, soundbites, posters, ads and how voters 'feel' because they can't be bothered to think. 70-odd years of peace, prosperity and - more recently - biased tabloid media have rendered the majority of this country complacent, indolent, lobotomised cattle. The same thing has happened in the States with Trump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here