Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Indeed. The government must take immediate action on climate change and bring in a raft of new legislation. Brexit is getting in the way of this!
Brexit has just been a brilliant smokescreen whilst they **** up so much other stuff

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
After the vote I accepted it would happen, not happy but you have to respect these things. When May published her deal I was surprised, she seemed to have got good concessions from the EU and had produced a brexit that I could live with.
Fair enough, we move forward and make the best of life outside the EU.

But then the right wing loons voted it down and at that point, gloves are off, it's a fight. I have no problem at all with doing everything possible to frustrate and stop brexit. I fervently believe the majority in the country would now vote to remain so I am certain its worthwhile to fight for that however possible.

This.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another great ad from the Remain Campaign.

Keep it up fellas and I can confidently say nobody will be voting Leave:-

[tweet]1184363346595909632[/tweet]

#ProjectFear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that things are well on the way towards the erosion of workers rights already. I have no company sick pay except on the whim of the owner if he a, likes you, b feels your illness is genuine c, lasts for only a day or two and d, only happens every couple of years or so. I get no increase in holiday allowance for long service and no annual wage review, I'm in my 6 th year with the company and have had one wage rise of 3% in that time despite inflation over that time reducing my wage by 10-12%
A young member of staff employed on about 10p an hour above minimum wage was " let go " 11 weeks in to her three month trial for " Not being exceptional enough " this, despite her being very good and enthusiastic. It's almost standard for staff to have late breaks and often miss a lunch break entirely in order to " Meet the needs of the business " .

The company is ultimately based offshore and it's two creators share a fortune of £1.45 B and the company has a turnover of £1.7 B as at 2011/12.

I agree with that, you’re absolutely right.

But this really has been going on for decades, even in the Blair/Brown halcyon days. Two anecdotes:

1. I worked for a local business where the wealthy owner (and we made very big profits), put new staff on significantly inferior contracts eg no paid sick leave whatsoever except on his whim. So if he liked you that month and thought you had been very ill, he might pay it. His attitude (confessed behind the scenes) was “there’s more than one to skin a cat”, exemplified by squeezing staff out by hook or crook when the business shrunk a bit at the 2008 crash .... absolutely determined not to pay redundancy.

2. A family member has on and off has worked for well known local nursing homes. Even in the golden political years 1997 to 2010, not one of those successful employers paid a penny in sick pay. Not in the terms of contracts.

I genuinely agree with you. Wishing that a consensus coalition government will tackle all this crap, but without using a sledgehammer to hurt the many good employers out there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this a spoof?
No I believe there are 15 of these, from our government.

They all basically undermine the entire Leave Campaign, while proving 'ProjectFear' as more like ProjectTruth, without even a hint of irony.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Think you are confused. I am not complaining about the remainers who prefer we leave with a deal instead of no deal. I fully understand those on both sides, remainers and leavers who are jostling to get their preferred version of leaving, or what they think is the best form of leaving, frustrating as it is that parliament cant agree.Likewise I am not moaning about those whose preference for leaving is no deal, if parliament cant agree on a form of leaving with an agreement then the treaties need to cease to apply and we leave without an agreement, as per Article 50.
I havnt seen a figure that 48% of remainers think we are best to leave with a deal instead of leaving with no deal, but I will take your word for it. I did see some polls that 7% or so of those that voted remain prefer we leave with no deal. That leaves a sizeable chunk of remainers, if your numbers are correct, who don’t want a no deal exit and don’t want any deal that facilitates leaving at all. These are the problem children we have in parliament, the revokers, or undemocratic loons as they are known by.(perhaps you were referencing the 48% as all remain voters, who you can obviously split as remainers who respect the vote and accept we should leave and those who refuse to accept the vote at all)
I really am not having it both ways, I have nothing against remainers , like yourself, and leavers who accept we should leave but have concerns about how we leave.
Be weary of course of those who might not be the full on weasel revokers but are those who want a leaving deal which isn’t really leaving at all.

You really are having it both ways, and on many points. You are happy with those that want to leave without a deal, despite that not being a proposition of any leave campaigner prior to the referendum, and call any arrangements that keep us close, like not losing our place in the single market or being part of a free trade area that stretches from Iceland to Turkey, not a real Brexit. You also do not recognise that it was a previous Parliament that voted to issue Article 50, and that in any case a Parliament can change it's mind, your hero Rees-Mogg appears to have been so against a border in the Irish sea solution previously that he pushed for and got it put into law that we can't do that, but is now supporting the exact opposite it seems.
It is entirely in Parliaments power to revoke Article 50, and most MP's would prefer to remain, but none has put forward a motion to do that, some are seeking a democratic route to change the course of travel, just as those that sought a democratic route out of the EU pushed for a referendum.
Why not open your bookmarks and play with your noodly appendage instead of pontificating on here.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Another great ad from the Remain Campaign.

Keep it up fellas and I can confidently say nobody will be voting Leave:-

[tweet]1184363346595909632[/tweet]

#ProjectFear.
Old Macdonald had an export businiess E.U. E. O. R. I.
Thank **** all that red tape we used to have to wade through is going eh.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think that things are well on the way towards the erosion of workers rights already. I have no company sick pay except on the whim of the owner if he a, likes you, b feels your illness is genuine c, lasts for only a day or two and d, only happens every couple of years or so.

1. I worked for a local business where the wealthy owner (and we made very big profits), put new staff on significantly inferior contracts eg no paid sick leave whatsoever except on his whim. So if he liked you that month and thought you had been very ill, he might pay it.

2. A family member has on and off has worked for well known local nursing homes. Even in the golden political years 1997 to 2010, not one of those successful employers paid a penny in sick pay. Not in the terms of contracts.
To clarify here, employers are legally obliged to pay Statutory Sick Pay (https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay), which is admittedly not a lot. If they don't, contact the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) statutory payment dispute team - 03000 560 630.

Employers are NOT obliged to pay anything in excess of SSP, but most good employers (particularly larger businesses) do - generally full pay for several months.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So Labour are whipping for a second referendum on Boris's deal.

This seems to be gaining traction. Can you see it happenning?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So Labour are whipping for a second referendum on Boris's deal.

This seems to be gaining traction. Can you see it happenning?
Yes, unfortunately.

The last thing we need is the division and propaganda of another referendum kicking the hornets nest.

Some may think a result for Remain means we revoke A50 and live happily ever after.

Maybe.. just maybe... if the result were to be 65%+ for Remain we might get away with it.

But it'll be close either way and resolve nothing except to give Farage a most unwelcome boost.

Lets just leave and get the Switzerland++ deal which will be better than the Germany++ deal we already have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1184738823420502016[/tweet]

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Jean-Claude Juncker @JunckerEU
Where there is a will, there is a #deal - we have one! It’s a fair and balanced agreement for the EU and the UK and it is testament to our commitment to find solutions. I recommend that #EUCO endorses this deal.

Screen Shot 10-17-19 at 10.40 AM.JPG

Boris Johnson @BorisJohnson
We’ve got a great new deal that takes back control — now Parliament should get Brexit done on Saturday so we can move on to other priorities like the cost of living, the NHS, violent crime and our environment #GetBrexitDone #TakeBackControl

Screen Shot 10-17-19 at 10.40 AM 001.JPG

But as ever, the question is... can it get through the House of Commons with (not at present) or without the DUP?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never thought you were running for project fear post Brexit Stat.

Most self employed, would say great luxuries, where do we sign?

#differentbreed

Most self-employed would look at my tax payments and say 'I'm not signing that'.

#Swings&Roundabouts.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Deal done.

Time to find out what it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just so grateful Boris has got a deal that is considerably better than the one Boris voted down under Terry May's government...

...oh, you what now?...

...that just doesn't make sense!

D

Deleted member 2719

Anything to do with Brexit?

Good point, he has never really been involved in Brexit, as he has been sitting with crusties at the end of his garden on the fence for 3.5 years.

He’s adored by some class warriors who don’t give one jot about the influx of and/or emboldened anti-Semites in the 2019 Labour Party. Conveniently brushing racism under the carpet, “It’s a only far right thing, innit?”. Following the Momentum line that Tom Watson, Ian Austin, Gordon Brown, Stella Creasy, Ruth Smeeth, Lord Darzi, Keir Starmer, etc, etc are deluded.

Madness by Corbyn. If he had the balls to truly get the party to have 100% intolerance to Jew haters, with mandatory lifetime expulsions and an open book disciplinary record, then his stock and that of the Labour Party would improve across the wider electorate. So intransigent.

I agree, he has to go down as probably the worse party leader of all time.

Class warriors are no different to racists in my opinion, jealous is a real killer; they need to get on with life and stop harping on about Etonians.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm just so grateful Boris has got a deal that is considerably better than the one Boris voted down under Terry May's government...

...oh, you what now?...

...that just doesn't make sense!

I reckon he is threatening the ERG that there will be a referendum on it if they don't back it without one, and they fear that ends Brexit all together. Still not got the DUP on board with it. It will be close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here