Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hypothetical question NSCers and apologies if its been asked on here before.

But where would this country be today if Boris Johnson had succeeded David Cameron immediately instead of Mrs May?

I think out of Europe with a good deal for the UK, a strong pound and the economy moving forward.

(And obviously Sir Geoffrey Boycott would still be plain old Mr Boycott)

I think Johnson may have been more willing to compromise (because he didn't have to "act tough" to keep the headbangers in line given he was nominally a Brexiter rather than a Remainer). He may have gone for an election earlier than May (probably before invoking A50) and thumped Corbyn at that point, leaving him with a majority, from where he would likely have produced a similar WA and been more than happy to leave NI to it on the backstop (not having to care about the DUP meant he would have happily hung them out to dry).

We'd be ending the transition at the end of next year (as per) and there'd now be a row between him and members of his own party (plus the Opposition) as to the future relationship, with the opposition and Tory rebels pushing for EFTA / EEA and him wanting a standard trade deal (and refusing to realise how tricky one of those actually is).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
His own sister has spoken out, saying he’s under tremendous pressure from all the billions invested in shorting the pound with a No Deal!

He's managed to both provoke this from his sister and make his own brother quit politics after seeing him at close quarters.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The language you are using is no better than Boris. Associating leave voters with racism is really pathetic. Had it occured to you that there are BAME leave voters? Probably not.

Had it crossed your mind that BAME people can be racist?

But you’ve misunderstood the post you’re replying to anyway. As you were.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Johnson may have been more willing to compromise

Having seen his performance yesterday, I think you're very much mistaken on this.

He may have gone for an election earlier than May (probably before invoking A50) and thumped Corbyn at that point, leaving him with a majority,

Maybe, but he's not a good campaigner and doesn't like being questioned too much. I'm not convinced that the result would have been that different (don't forget that he hardly campaigned in the leadership election as his advisers didn't think he could be trusted)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Having seen his performance yesterday, I think you're very much mistaken on this.

2016 Johnson would have been riding the crest of a wave and thinking the world was his oyster.

2019 Johnson has had a shit sandwich he doesn't want to eat but knows he has to dumped on the desk in front of him

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Maybe, but he's not a good campaigner and doesn't like being questioned too much. I'm not convinced that the result would have been that different (don't forget that he hardly campaigned in the leadership election as his advisers didn't think he could be trusted)

He's just a puppet in the same was as Trump is, but without the dementia.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1177244160681795584[/TWEET]

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Hypothetical question NSCers and apologies if its been asked on here before.

But where would this country be today if Boris Johnson had succeeded David Cameron immediately instead of Mrs May?

I think out of Europe with a good deal for the UK, a strong pound and the economy moving forward.

(And obviously Sir Geoffrey Boycott would still be plain old Mr Boycott)
We would have had longer to see what an incompetent, hypocritical, mendacious, divisive and self serving national embarrassment he is.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
We would have had longer to see what an incompetent, hypocritical, mendacious, divisive and self serving national embarrassment he is.

A post count of roughly 17 per year clearly results in higher quality content :banana:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Must admit I thought that things went so low yesterday that no one on here would stoop to whataboutory quotes at a time like this, but I guess there's always one...

What is the significance of your whataboutery accusation ? I have been pointing out the appalling language and behavior on all sides of this debate for some time, not least on NSC. Many of those expressing outrage at Johnson now (regarding his causing safety issues to fellow MPs) were enjoying him being smuggled out of a back door in Glasgow a few months ago. Similarly three years of accusations of racism for having the temerity to disagree on an issue is hardly temperate language. Project Fear on both sides of the debate...I could go on. I have felt unable to comment on here many times because of the angry abuse.
There is hardly a poster on this thread who is not a hypocrite when commenting on the poor quality debate last night.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What is the significance of your whataboutery accusation ? I have been pointing out the appalling language and behavior on all sides of this debate for some time, not least on NSC. Many of those expressing outrage at Johnson now (regarding his causing safety issues to fellow MPs) were enjoying him being smuggled out of a back door in Glasgow a few months ago. Similarly three years of accusations of racism for having the temerity to disagree on an issue is hardly temperate language. Project Fear on both sides of the debate...I could go on. I have felt unable to comment on here many times because of the angry abuse.
There is hardly a poster on this thread who is not a hypocrite when commenting on the poor quality debate last night.

Sadly, I suspect that you are not the only one. If only people would be more prepared to compromise, and as you rightly state, this applies to all sides, but reading many posts, you can quite clearly see why we have such an impasse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1177239218592124928[/tweet]

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I’m no expert on article 50 ( and please tell me if I’m wrong ) but does not state that if after two years of negotiations we leave the EU without a deal?

If this is the case how come those who are stopping us leaving are not being prosecuted?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m no expert on article 50 ( and please tell me if I’m wrong ) but does not state that if after two years of negotiations we leave the EU without a deal?

If this is the case how come those who are stopping us leaving are not being prosecuted?

Who is stopping us leaving? The previous Prime Minister asked for an extension.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure what's been said on here recently, but I and others have said for a long time, this thing is going to kick-off and this will get worse.
Why?
It's really very simple, the politicians are not backing the people's vote, even though they said they would.
Brexiteers have sat back patiently waiting for parliament to sort it out for over 3 years now and we have put up with insults and name-calling, racists, thick, moronic, idiot and so on, the remainder has thrown punches ganging up on the minority in Parliament who are trying to do their job. The EU has dragged it on and threw a few body shots also.
Well surprises surprise, October 31st gets nearer and the remainder have gone hysterical and even celebrated the Supreme Court judgement as if it was the final KO blow, but who was it against? The people who voted for leave, yes 17.4m people.
People like Lucas, Chuka and co were inciting trouble and stirring it all up, well the first time since 2016 we are now seeing that voter feel cheated and at the end of their tether.
It's time they backed a deal if they really care about the citizens of our country.
Personally, I want the cliff jump.
Brexit MUST happen October 31st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here