Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Says someone in the Czech republic
Regards
DF

Says an idiot who asked somebody if they had a problem with the word British, after previously showing he was prepared to break up the Union. You really are the gift that keeps giving.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Or folks are a bit more clued up and can get a better deal online?

The days of strolling along the High Street and going home with a ton of shiny brochures are, thankfully, long gone.

I can’t believe I am having to explain this to somebody as clued up about Brexit as you.

But here goes.

Since 2016, the pound has weakened by 20%. So for a hotel charging £1000.00 back in 2016, in order to get the same value for their rooms, they now need to charge the British an extra 20%, which is £200.00. That is an £200.00 extra per every £1000.00.

Those costs have been passed onto consumers. Less people can therefore afford holidays and therefore people book less holidays. As a result, the company is unable to manage it’s debt as a result.

The same goes for spending money. You need more GBP in order to have the same holiday experience. You’re racking up hundreds of extra pounds. It’s just not sustainable.

Now let’s take bookings that were made around the referendum time. TC were charging people at the higher GBP rate. The customers were then tied into the contract price. Then the pound drops, and pass the additional costs on TC. TC cannot pass these charges onto the existing bookings as the price is already agreed. TC therefore foot the bill of the decreased pound.

But it’s nothing to do with Brexit, that’s just scaremongering.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I can’t believe I am having to explain this to somebody as clued up about Brexit as you.

But here goes.

Since 2016, the pound has weakened by 20%. So for a hotel charging £1000.00 back in 2016, in order to get the same value for their rooms, they now need to charge the British an extra 20%, which is £200.00. That is an £200.00 extra per every £1000.00.

Those costs have been passed onto consumers. Less people can therefore afford holidays and therefore people book less holidays. As a result, the company is unable to manage it’s debt as a result.

The same goes for spending money. You need more GBP in order to have the same holiday experience. You’re racking up hundreds of extra pounds. It’s just not sustainable.

Now let’s take bookings that were made around the referendum time. TC were charging people at the higher GBP rate. The customers were then tied into the contract price. Then the pound drops, and pass the additional costs on TC. TC cannot pass these charges onto the existing bookings as the price is already agreed. TC therefore foot the bill of the decreased pound.

Thanks. If you like.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
According to the Kent County Council No Deal planning documents Faisal Islam has seen, yes.

And good luck getting the contents of the M20 onto the A259 through Dymchurch and New Romney.

I live and work in Kent, so this is one area that for me is worrying. I work in two of the places mentioned by the post you quoted, the roads here are bad enough at rush hour before any further disruption. I've been sat in an hour long queue going one junction one way or the other due to fairly low-level disruption. Take into account how often there are queues due to the Dartford Crossing too, with the lower Thames crossing not due for completion until 2026 if memory serves, this isn't going to get better any time soon.

Increased disruption on the roads will lead to me spending more time in my car, spending more money on fuel and therefore more emissions. I'll have less time at home with my family and less money to spend with them.

P.S. I'd love to use public transport rather than drive, but it just isn't viable for my line of work. Also, they're not as bad as Southern, but South Eastern really are appalling.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is there anyone on here who is unemployed or have college/ uni aged children who are willing to train in dental skills?

I have just been to the dentist ( no fillings today mum) and was chatting to the receptionist who is actually one of the practice owners and dentist herself, and was told that they cannot get any dental assistants at the moment ( and they have tried all over the UK and outside) as they and the dental industry in general relied on young trained dental assistants from Europe and now they have all gone home and are not prepared to return. She also related a story that one of their friends is an anethetist(sp) who has cancelled their last two holidays as the hospitals they cover cannot get locums and so are being offered stupid money to come in and work.

Of course PPNazi on here will shout project fear, but this is actually project fact.

Get on the websites and get retrained guys...the NHS needs you!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or folks are a bit more clued up and can get a better deal online?

The days of strolling along the High Street and going home with a ton of shiny brochures are, thankfully, long gone.

Why are online agencies failing as well?

Brexit is not the only reason they went under, but its played a part.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

But here goes.

how do you reconcile this analysis with the fact the substantial majority of their business is on the continent?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The German branch Condor are still operational and so don't really factor in the Manchester demise.

interesting to know, even if its missing the point.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Is there anyone on here who is unemployed or have college/ uni aged children who are willing to train in dental skills?

I have just been to the dentist ( no fillings today mum) and was chatting to the receptionist who is actually one of the practice owners and dentist herself, and was told that they cannot get any dental assistants at the moment ( and they have tried all over the UK and outside) as they and the dental industry in general relied on young trained dental assistants from Europe and now they have all gone home and are not prepared to return. She also related a story that one of their friends is an anethetist(sp) who has cancelled their last two holidays as the hospitals they cover cannot get locums and so are being offered stupid money to come in and work.

Of course PPNazi on here will shout project fear, but this is actually project fact.

Just been to the vet and seen the 5th different locum in the last few years - only one of which has been British. It is not like there are loads of unemployed British Doctors, vets, dentists etc all queuing up at the Job Centre or cleaning toilets to earn a living. I fully understand (and share some of) the immigration concerns regarding low paid, unskilled staff. But even if we don't remove the rights of skilled foreign workers who are fulfilling a shortfall, we are likely to lose quite a few by making the whole country a bit more unfriendly towards them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Maybe PPNazi could take one of these golden opportunities he has been waiting for from Brexit, get off his arse, retrain (if he ever got trained in the first place) and start to earn a living and contributing to British society ? As if :lolol:

Jan 30, 2008
The pound has weakened since Brexit. Countries pass on the costs by increasing GBP cost to make sure they get the same value for their rooms.

People are booking less holidays since the Brexit uncertainty.

It is absolutely related to Brexit, existing debt could have been managed so long as people were still buying holidays.

Slow time of the year ,company bills to pay sounds like a cash flow problem ,no problem let's blame Brexit nice one Mikey
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The pound has weakened since Brexit. Countries pass on the costs by increasing GBP cost to make sure they get the same value for their rooms.

People are booking less holidays since the Brexit uncertainty.

It is absolutely related to Brexit, existing debt could have been managed so long as people were still buying holidays.

Yeap..

When your currency falls purchasing power falls, wages are still way below 2016 levels in USD and Euro terms, Brits are poorer. FACT

Thomas Cook have been taking the hit and swallowing the losses, they can swallow no more

As usual Brexiteers on here are in denial and refuse to admit Brexit has had any part to play..

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Interesting because the below is currently being advertised by my dental practice:

POSITION UNEXPECTEDLY AVAILABLE AGAIN

Position available for a Qualified Dental nurse and/or trainee dental nurse.

An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team. This is a wonderful opportunity to become part of a loyal team in a practice that has been established since 1981. Applicants must have a confident manner and be friendly and outgoing. Able to work as part of a team as well as being able to use their own initiative. Please send c.v to sharon.hay@southcliffdentalgroup.com

I have to say, it'd be a really lovely location to work at too being situated in the badlands of Hollington in the mean streets of Hastings at my dentist. They take NHS patients and they'll be more than used to having benefit claimants on their books, so if anyone is unemployed and fancies retraining as you say, there's no need to be shy with this opportunity.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Yeap..

When your currency falls purchasing power falls, wages are still way below 2016 levels in USD and Euro terms, Brits are poorer. FACT

Thomas Cook have been taking the hit and swallowing the losses, they can swallow no more

As usual Brexiteers on here are in denial and refuse to admit Brexit has had any part to play..

Thomas Cook business is 75% in Europe. if you really want to understand the reasons for this company's collapse read https://www.thomascookgroup.com/inv...ssest/TCG+H1+2019+Statement+Final+16May19.pdf, page 9 onward gets into the heart of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here