Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So Johnson avoids liaison committee and Wednesday and a DCMS committee now misses a meeting with PayPal about overseas donations because of Johnson’s dodgy prorogue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I liked Callaghan but the unions didn't help him.

Btw the liberalisation of abortion and homosexuality were introduced by David Steel who was a Liberal.

The liberalisation of abortion was indeed introduced by David Steel but it was a bill supported by the government

The legalisation of homosexuality was also a private member's bill but was introduced by Leo Abse, not Steel - also supported by the government. The abolition of capital punishment was, again, a private member's bill (from Sidney Silverman). I'm not sure why the government didn't introduce any of these themselves.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The liberalisation of abortion was indeed introduced by David Steel but it was a bill supported by the government

The legalisation of homosexuality was also a private member's bill but was introduced by Leo Abse, not Steel - also supported by the government. The abolition of capital punishment was, again, a private member's bill (from Sidney Silverman). I'm not sure why the government didn't introduce any of these themselves.

You have a far better memory than me. I do remember Harold Wilson introducing the red brick universities to broaden the number available.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Maybe this is the moment. When people finally wake up and realise they've been conned. Brexit is the biggest betrayal since the Munich Agreement of 1938. We're a ******* bunch of ***** to the likes of Johnson and Rees-Mogg. It was obvious - fascism was never going to walk down the road saying 'Heil Rees-Mogg!' in this country - it was always going to have a public school accent, gone to Oxbridge, probably Eton collegetoo and been fluent at Latin.

Was Karl Marx a hundred years wrong? Isandlwana , Mahikeng, Somme, Munich, Suez, Brexit - ****ing wake up people! The Conservative and Unionist Party are anything but. English, right wing ****wits have taken it over just like happened with Trump and The Republican Party in The USA, which we're about to become the 51st state of.

More people reading my rant above would prefer to fall on their knees and perform fellatio on Nigel Farage than realise I speak the truth. It's why we're done for as a country.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
TT is very much a Remainer - he even holds dual British/French citizenship

There's always been a bit of mixture. I don't think it's true to say that the Labour party was dominated by nobs. Yes, you get the odd Tony Benn but then you get the odd Prescott too. What does make things complicated are when you get people like Wilson or Roy Jenkins who both came from modest stock but went to Oxford and then, as you say, liked the finer things of life. But their political education sprang from their backgrounds in depression-hit Yorkshire and industrial south Wales.

Wilson won four elections and saw off three leaders of the Tory party, that's a pretty successful record. He also oversaw the establishment of many new universities, I went to one of them (I actually got my degree from Wilson, he was the chancellor); the launch of the Open University, the liberalisation of abortion and homosexuality, the abolition of capital punishment and a boom in house-building. It's not a bad legacy (and I wish we had a government with a technology strategy now)

I think Callaghan is an under-rated PM. He was dealt a terrible hand. coping with the effects of Barber's boom and bust and the Arab-Israeli conflict and quadrupling of oil prices) and played it reasonably well. He was lampooned at the time but I think history will be kinder on him. He came into a power at a time when inflation was running at more than 20% and reduced it to, I think, 8%. Don't forget that when Thatcher came to power, he was more popular than she was - food for thought to those who think that because Johnson is more popular than Corbyn, the Tories will win the election.

Tom Tugendhat is definitely a brexiteer, his voting record on Europe.

Consistently voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EUShow votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016
Generally voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK Show votes
0 votes for, 13 votes against, 5 absences, between 2016–2019
Almost always voted against UK membership of the EU Show votes
1 vote for, 18 votes against, 5 absences, between 2016–2019

As an aside, Wilson also kept us out of Vietnam, despite immense pressure from the Americans both political and economic to force us to commit.

Jan 30, 2008
Maybe this is the moment. When people finally wake up and realise they've been conned. Brexit is the biggest betrayal since the Munich Agreement of 1938. We're a ******* bunch of ***** to the likes of Johnson and Rees-Mogg. It was obvious - fascism was never going to walk down the road saying 'Heil Rees-Mogg!' in this country - it was always going to have a public school accent, gone to Oxbridge, probably Eton collegetoo and been fluent at Latin.

Was Karl Marx a hundred years wrong? Isandlwana , Mahikeng, Somme, Munich, Suez, Brexit - ****ing wake up people! The Conservative and Unionist Party are anything but. English, right wing ****wits have taken it over just like happened with Trump and The Republican Party in The USA, which we're about to become the 51st state of.

More people reading my rant above would prefer to fall on their knees and perform fellatio on Nigel Farage than realise I speak the truth. It's why we're done for as a country.

The only people betrayed are the 17.4 million that voted leave
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE always has always will ,people like you like to stir up the shit
regards
DF

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Tom Tugendhat is definitely a brexiteer, his voting record on Europe.

Consistently voted for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EUShow votes
4 votes for, 0 votes against, between 2015–2016
Generally voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK Show votes
0 votes for, 13 votes against, 5 absences, between 2016–2019
Almost always voted against UK membership of the EU Show votes
1 vote for, 18 votes against, 5 absences, between 2016–2019

He might be a Tory toff but he's fluent in Arabic, he was a former assistant chief to the defence staff and he could look you in the eye and hold a conversation on serving this country.

I don't agree with his politics, but that said, I want him to resign so his stature is retained.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I hope you're wrong.
I fear you're right.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The possible solution of

1) Having a Northern Ireland only backstop.
2) ..mandated by a second referendum in Northern Ireland.

Is doing the rounds again after one of the ERG has suggested it. It's actually May deal version zero.

There was a vote in the Belfast Telegraph a few weeks ago with 52% saying they would NO.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He might be a Tory toff but he's fluent in Arabic, he was a former assistant chief to the defence staff and he could look you in the eye and hold a conversation on serving this country.

I don't agree with his politics, but that said, I want him to resign so his stature is retained.

He is one of the more impressive of the cloven hoofed collective, and my point about him being a Brexiteer was so that the less cerebral of the Leaver community, would not trot out the usual nonsense about traitors, and surrender monkeys.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even if Q3 registered a 0.3% growth, it would still be the weakest first three quarters of a year since the financial crisis.

Seems weird to be quite so upbeat about that.

Stupid Remoaners, you thought 90% of my house was on fire, it’s actually 80%!

GUTTED IDIOTS

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The possible solution of

1) Having a Northern Ireland only backstop.
2) ..mandated by a second referendum in Northern Ireland.

Is doing the rounds again after one of the ERG has suggested it. It's actually May deal version zero.

You're born in Hastings like me, so wake up and smell the coffee which you already do - the people of Northern Ireland and the border 'ker-mune-dees' will do what they're told by English, public school, entitled, arrogant ***s. It's how the world works.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Jan 30, 2008
I think you’ll find Das, that numerous barristers, retired High Court Judges, various experts on legislative law have stated that the old“Please ignore my last letter” ploy, would still in law be illegal, and our dear Prime Minister would do porridge if he tried it.

We'll have to wait and see
Regards
DF

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Fascinating dynamic at play for the election to come.

The Conservatives will essentially play the anti-establishment card. The Commons, the courts, the Speaker, the EU. They can legitimately say that all of these are against them.

Labour should be preparing its "How bad are the Yellowhammer reports if we're not allowed to see them" card now.

Add to this the phenomenal churn of votes being pulled in entirely new directions by this issue and you have a completely unpredictable election. The pollsters must be tearing their hair out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here