Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dominic Grieve on R5 saying he'll table a vote of no confidence in his own government, ending his own career, to stop the government behaving unconstitutionally, even if it leads to a Corbyn government.

What an absolute mess.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What do you feel about it? I am reading the third book of the Rotherweird trilogy right now and Boris is behaving like Geryon Wynter.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it to be honest. If parliament was being shutdown to enable something to happen that I didn't agree with then I'd be furious. That said, as a leaver that is bored and tired of MPs trying to stop Brexit I'm somewhat pleased that Boris has the balls to actually implement Brexit. If nothing else it's shown Johnson up to actually be a tougher PM than May ever was.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't believe he's done it, and like Westdene Seagull, I'm a leaver.

BJ's bollox must be the size of an elephants. :eek:

In inverse proportion to his judgement, perhaps.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it to be honest. If parliament was being shutdown to enable something to happen that I didn't agree with then I'd be furious. That said, as a leaver that is bored and tired of MPs trying to stop Brexit I'm somewhat pleased that Boris has the balls to actually implement Brexit. If nothing else it's shown Johnson up to actually be a tougher PM than May ever was.

Surely it’s rank hypocrisy? To claim we need to “take our country back” from the nasty EU and bring back “control”, to then suspend democracy through unconstitutional means is hypocrisy in the highest form.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Breaking News .... Government to suspend parliament

That is unthinkable.

It's the stuff of Cromwell. A government shoving a sword through democracy to appease its own backers.

The country is divided on the EU but we do know that there is no majority for walking away without a deal. The only reason it's happening is to keep the political fiefdoms in place.

People have to take to the streets if this happens. Left and right. This is not democracy.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Simply disgusting. Cameron's already astounding level of hubris in starting the process has just been eclipsed in extraordinary fashion by Boris. I hope history consigns them both to the pit of the contemptible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thanks. My allusion was driven by the thought that the price we may all have to pay for this is being disregarded by those determined to leave at any cost (I don't mean you, I mean people just don't care about anything other than leaving). My concern is that if the tories cave in to their own leader on this, we effectively end up with a Boris dictatorship. He is a man intoxicated by his own hubris. In my view he is a sort of antichrist version of Churchill.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I am not really qualified to partake in this discussion as I have not read all 94557 posts :)

BUT one thing is clear to me is that the result of the referendum was to leave.
Parliament voted in favour of article 50.
Yet parliament, led by a biased speaker, wants to remain or at the very least leave in name only.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dominic Grieve on R5 saying he'll table a vote of no confidence in his own government, ending his own career, to stop the government behaving unconstitutionally, even if it leads to a Corbyn government.

What an absolute mess.

I don't want a Corbyn government. But bloody good for him. This cannot be allowed to happen.

D

Deleted member 22389

True, but enough is enough now. Brexit needs to be done.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks. My allusion was driven by the thought that the price we may all have to pay for this is being disregarded by those determined to leave at any cost (I don't mean you, I mean people just don't care about anything other than leaving). My concern is that if the tories cave in to their own leader on this, we effectively end up with a Boris dictatorship. He is a man intoxicated by his own hubris. In my view he is a sort of antichrist version of Churchill.

Of course there may be a plan. This might enable Johnson to bring back the WA to parliament at around the 20th October and say "vote for this or it's no deal going through".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't want a Corbyn government. But bloody good for him. This cannot be allowed to happen.

I think there is no chance of a Corbyn government. Unfortunately however Corbyn's fixation with becoming PM will prevent him (as it has done till now) co-operating with the majority of MPs who could stop Boris. Boris knows this which is why, paradoxically, Boris is likely to win a vote of no confidence. Even now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MP's should also get pay suspended if government is suspended. See how that works out

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Nobody will be taking to the streets I'm afraid, after three years people are utterly sick of the whole business. It now looks like we'll be out on 31st October either with a deal or not.

I also think that if there is any serious negotiating going on then the governments hand has been strengthened after the events of this morning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course there may be a plan. This might enable Johnson to bring back the WA to parliament at around the 20th October and say "vote for this or it's no deal going through".

You may be right. The trouble is he has given no indication he has any idea what success and a deal look like here. It seems like the only way to avoid a no deal is if the EU step forward and offer something new. I see no sign of that, either.

No I think Boris is set for a hard Brexit. From his lofty privilaged and protected position, looking down on us all, he probably finds this all terribly exciting. Like a massive game of Risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BW9lGRuPk

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I am not really qualified to partake in this discussion as I have not read all 94557 posts :)

BUT one thing is clear to me is that the result of the referendum was to leave.
Parliament voted in favour of article 50.
Yet parliament, led by a biased speaker, wants to remain or at the very least leave in name only.

The result of the referendum was to supposedly allow this country to prosper not allow unelected leaders to drag this country into the worst cluster**** for generations. The ONLY people who would have knowingly voted for this is the tiny minority of the wealthy elite who are so cushioned from reality as to have no concept of the hardship being caused to the country.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
iu

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here