Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What benefits?

The break up of The UK? The utter international embarrassment we've become leading to becoming an international pariah? Becoming Donald Trump and Steve Bannon's bitch? Losing Trident through the UK breaking up? Fighting the evil of The IRA for 100 years but giving them a united Ireland because we don't like the evil EU in Brussels more? Becoming poorer - socially, economically, influentially, politically, diplomatically? F***king over half the western world just to chase the distant pipe dream of empire? Ripping up an international peace treaty? 'Controlling' immigration but rolling over on future trade deals when we have no leverage so more people from developing countries come here rather than Johnny Foreigners from eastern Europe because they're from The EU and they're really, really bad? Blue passports? Taking back sovereignty but allowing an Old Etonian and his glove puppeteer Dominic Cummings (who make Rod Hull and Emu look like amateurs in comparison) to take over and ride roughshod over parliament? Deregulation and Singapore on Thames? Bring back the poor house and privatise The NHS ?

:shrug:

Yeah, those were the things that used to cross my mind when I woke up sober after a previous night's irritable drink-sodden petulance :lolol:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Read this today, not my 'quote' but it made me smile.

Andrew Smith 7 Aug 2019 8:49PM

Just a thought, but how about Grieve & Co cease their endless subversive attempts at stopping Brexit at any cost, accept that the largest democratic vote in UK history should be not just "respected" but implemented in accordance with UK law that they themselves put into effect, and then by all means throw themselves into developing a new campaign to join the EU following our exit, as is their right.

I look forward to viewing the overwhelmingly positive and constructive arguments they will set forward for joining a moribund institution we just spent 3 years trying to leave. Without Project Fear, what is left for them?

Precisely why they are fighting tooth and nail to prevent a perfectly viable WTO exit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Read this today, not my 'quote' but it made me smile.

Andrew Smith 7 Aug 2019 8:49PM

Just a thought, but how about Grieve & Co cease their endless subversive attempts at stopping Brexit at any cost, accept that the largest democratic vote in UK history should be not just "respected" but implemented in accordance with UK law that they themselves put into effect, and then by all means throw themselves into developing a new campaign to join the EU following our exit, as is their right.

I look forward to viewing the overwhelmingly positive and constructive arguments they will set forward for joining a moribund institution we just spent 3 years trying to leave. Without Project Fear, what is left for them?

Precisely why they are fighting tooth and nail to prevent a perfectly viable WTO exit.

Subversive? Perfectly viable WTO?

Strange logic. :]

Who votes for the WTO, and who makes up their rules? Who is in the WTO in Switzerland? Instead of being 'ruled by Brussels', they want to be ruled by Switzerland.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Subversive? Perfectly viable WTO?

Strange logic. :]

Who votes for the WTO, and who makes up their rules? Who is in the WTO in Switzerland? Instead of being 'ruled by Brussels', they want to be ruled by Switzerland.

Sorry wasn't my quote, it's not for me to say.............:cheers:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Yet you want everyone that's already posted what they perceive to be the benefits to re-post just for you .... and your little pal Lever ?

You really are losing it Westdene Seagull...
You'll be reduced to using foul language again soon... but I'll bet you still won't be able to answer the simple question - what do you think we'll all gain by Brexit.
Take your time.... we don't want to upset you further.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You really are losing it Westdene Seagull...
You'll be reduced to using foul language again soon... but I'll bet you still won't be able to answer the simple question - what do you[/U ]think we'll all gain by Brexit.
Take your time.... we don't want to upset you further.

Why is it that you think it is always brexiteers that should be answerable? Tell the brexiteers why you want to remain. Will you?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
OK I gave the EU funded garbage about a min! The EU did not guarentee any f'ing peace it was NATO. FAIL!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There’s an organisation based in Brussels called the European Round Table of Industrialists (ERT). It’s a club – invitation only, not transparent, not democratic – just a private club. The only people who can become members of this club are the CEOs of the biggest European multinational corporations.

ERT members include the CEOs of Philips, Volvo, Shell, Fiat, Nestle, BP etc. Not US corporations – just those with their roots in Europe.

The ERT was instrumental in forming the single market in the first place. In 1985, Jacques Delors gave a speech to the European Parliament outlining the formation of a single market that mirrored a report by the CEO of Philips, Wisse Dekker – Europe 1990: An Agenda for Action. The aim of the ERT (and of the single market) is to promote growth and to orient the European economy towards exports, in order to obtain greater global market share for European corporations. From an ecological perspective, we should be doing the exact opposite of those things – stabilising the economy and gearing production towards local markets – nationally and in our communities.

ERT members are on very close terms with European Commissioners – they dine at each other’s homes, they meet regularly during work hours and they provide commissioners with places on the boards of their corporations (it’s called the ‘revolving door‘ between the state sector and the corporate sector).

Members of an activist group called the Corporate Europe Observatory managed to get into the offices of the ERT in Brussels, disguised as caterers. They were able to photocopy lots of documents, in which they found a lot of correspondence between Round Table members and commissioners about EU policy.

Many reports originating from the ERT end up as Commission policy almost word-for-word. For example, the ERT decided that we need to expand the motorway network in Europe, to facilitate growth and exports, and almost exactly the same map that they produced was used by the Commission and adopted by the European Parliament.

The European Commission is an appointed body not an elected one. EU policy officially originates from the European Commission, but unofficially and in reality, it originates with the ERT.

This isn’t controversial. You can search for it – It’s not a conspiracy theory. In fact you don’t have to search very far – Leon Brittan encouraged it publicly, and the attitude still prevails today – what’s good for the European Round Table of Industrialists is good for all of us.

If you believe that, then you’ve obviously strayed onto this website accidentally and this isn’t going to make much sense to you.

I think the appropriate response when confronted with a corporate puppet institution is to reject it. So that’s what I’ll be voting for in June, and of course I wouldn’t be writing this if I didn’t want to persuade you to do the same.

I think that probably most people in the sort-of greenie, sort-of left circles I move in are thinking of voting to stay in, for reasons related to European environmental and social directives. I’d argue that those directives don’t come close to making up for the increase in global corporate power, growth and exports that staying in will bring. And remember that polluting factories haven’t been eliminated, just exported.

However, I’ve also heard arguments supporting the EU because of vague notions of ‘unity’. I’m in favour of unity, just not unity through corporate institutions. We can build our own unity.

We’re not going to be able to reject our corporate-controlled national government quite yet, but we have an opportunity to reject this one.

https://www.lowimpact.org/ceos-europes-biggest-corporations-write-eu-policy/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Round_Table_of_Industrialists

I believe that Governments should talk and listen to large corporations, as they do in most of the world. If a policy that the commission agrees with has been put forward as a detailed idea from the industrialists, I can't see the point in rewriting it to put it to the Council and Parliament, though I think they should be honest and say it is a proposal from the ERT.
I share the concerns though about how much influence they have, as I do in the UK but with the added issue of the media influencing a far wider range of policy.
Simply saying "there is a problem with this aspect of the EU, therefore we should not have any part in it" makes no sense to me, it has to be looked at as a whole and the areas where there are problems should be worked on, likewise in our UK Government.
The question is, does Brexit in any form reduce or eliminate the power of big business to unduly influence our Governance, either here in the UK or in the remaining EU states? If you can answer that with a yes and explain how, I would accept that as a benefit of Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OK I gave the EU funded garbage about a min! The EU did not guarentee any f'ing peace it was NATO. FAIL!

It was economic sanctions on Russia, by the EU, that freed Eastern Europe, bringing down the Berlin Wall.
NATO helped out in Bosnia, but the Balkans aren't in the EU.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tell us something we didn't know :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Researchers gave 11,225 volunteers psychological tests before the referendum and asked how they intended to vote. Results suggest that leavers tended to be less numerate, more impulsive and more prone to accept the unsupported claims of authoritarian figures.

“Compared with remain voters, leave voters displayed significantly lower levels of numeracy and appeared more reliant on impulsive thinking,” said the researchers. The study was commissioned by Britain’s Online Privacy Foundation and analysed by scientists at Missouri University.

But fret not. Remainers are more neurotic and risk adverse. Who knew!!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-voters-are-less-bright-than-remainers-7nk8s3272

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here