Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Respect. Such a strange word to keep throwing in, as if it gives your opinion some, wait for it, respectability.

Referenda in the UK are advisory, regardless of what any politician says or prints on leaflets. They are opinion polls and opinions change.

Yes respect the outcome of a vote when parliament offers a vote and the overwhelming consensus in rightly that the decision given will be respected.
Obviously an utterly alien concept to you.........but then you are a lib dem supporter, no wonder you find it "strange"

Benign nationalism? It's like saying a wild tiger is just a domestic pussycat.

Yes benign nationalism.
You obviously hate benign nationalism if you mock it, but this is not really a surprise considering you are a europhile.
What is wrong with benign nationalism such as patriotism, shared national values and shared national identity?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes respect the outcome of a vote when parliament offers a vote and the overwhelming consensus in rightly that the decision given will be respected.
Obviously an utterly alien concept to you.........but then you are a lib dem supporter, no wonder you find it "strange"

Yes benign nationalism.
You obviously hate benign nationalism if you mock it, but this is not really a surprise considering you are a europhile.
What is wrong with benign nationalism such as patriotism, shared national values and shared national identity?

1. 52% or 1.2 million votes was not an overwhelming decision.

2. I am not a LibDem supporter. It's just the least damaging vote in my constituency. I've only ever been a member of one political party in my life, and that was the Seagulls party, which was set up properly with members, treasurer, secretary and policies.

3. I have voted Conservative, Labour, LibDem, and Independent in my 48 years of voting in this country. I make my decision on the policies and the candidates.

4. I make no apology for being a Europhile, but patriotism is nothing to do with nationalism. I've served in the Navy, worked for the Crown and love the Royal family. My shared values are with NATO, the Commonwealth, and with the EU.
Cooperation will always trump isolationism.

Your idea of benign nationalism has more in common with the USA & Russia.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I did post it on here at the time, but as of a couple of years ago, the vast majority of contracts the civil service hand out are now 2 year fixed term contracts.

However, if you work for DExEU, it's a full time contract. I've had a few 'Job for life' sarcastic texts since.

Good decision, I think that less work, less commuting and more Golf is what will make Dave happy :wink:

Less work, golf and long walks and spending more time with the family is certainly a target! Cheers mate

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
1. 52% or 1.2 million votes was not an overwhelming decision.

2. I am not a LibDem supporter. It's just the least damaging vote in my constituency. I've only ever been a member of one political party in my life, and that was the Seagulls party, which was set up properly with members, treasurer, secretary and policies.

3. I have voted Conservative, Labour, LibDem, and Independent in my 48 years of voting in this country. I make my decision on the policies and the candidates.

4. I make no apology for being a Europhile, but patriotism is nothing to do with nationalism. I've served in the Navy, worked for the Crown and love the Royal family. My shared values are with NATO, the Commonwealth, and with the EU.
Cooperation will always trump isolationism.

Your idea of benign nationalism has more in common with the USA & Russia.

A dignified, clear and rancour-free response; it sets a higher standard than we are used to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A dignified, clear and rancour-free response; it sets a higher standard than we are used to.

I always try (but don't always succeed) to post like that as pointing the finger or making accusations usually backfires.

Sometimes I have to delete a post before I send it because I've lost it, so I'm no angel. :lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DC8EE223-67E0-4093-8EE7-CDD61D533E32.png

Least they are owning it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1153992640519712769[/TWEET]

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I always try (but don't always succeed) to post like that as pointing the finger or making accusations usually backfires.

Sometimes I have to delete a post before I send it because I've lost it, so I'm no angel. :lol:

None of us are angels in that respect, TH.... but you have acknowledged it; others are not capable of such introspection!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I missed the bit where Bill Cash said referendum outcomes may not be respected if you dont agree with the decision they give......care to share.

Which version of Leave gained a mandate in 2016?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sodick Europe Opens New HQ in UK

https://mtdmfg.com/news/sodick-europe-opens-new-hq-in-uk/

Sodick has demonstrated its belief in the UK as a key location in Europe and that, with or without Brexit, the UK, and particularly the Midlands, remains at the heart of advanced manufacturing.

And that's great news for the 50 staff working there.

Meanwhile Nissan are planning another mass job cull, with Sunderland looking a likely location for a large chunk of them.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Very true Lever. Always impressive how TB deals with the manchild.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As i keep saying, if you want the public to decide how we Leave the EU following the decision to Leave, then have a public vote on how we leave with choices of leaving with a deal or leaving with no deal.(no remain option needed)
This is now pointless though, as we have politicians openly saying they will not vote in parliament following another referendum for any decision the public vote returns if they disagree with the decision given.

Only if you refuse to see that remain would get a higher vote than either of those two, very different, options.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A lot of moderate Tories are finding a home, they want nothing of a right wing sect cosying up with a crypto fascist in Washington

It said in The Times this morning the number of Tory voters from 2017 who'd now vote Lib Dem is up to 14% from 7% since Johnson was appointed. As he's just dancing to Farage's tune and you've got everyone and everything from Trump and Bolsonaro, to the AfD in Germany and Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Australia praising his appointment, you can understand why it's rising.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To back up the point about the Lib Dems and their surge, this is a post-Johnson & Swinson poll

[TWEET]1153992145445019648[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hammond, Gauke and Stewart all gone. Boris turn the light out when you leave please.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Meanwhile Nissan are planning another mass job cull, with Sunderland looking a likely location for a large chunk of them.

I do think that username putting up up a link to a company ironically called 'Sodick' opening up a warehouse in a field outside Warwick employing all of 50 people as some great triumph of Brexit Britain was done for no other reason other than because he's a just a comedian.

D

Deleted member 22389

10,000 job cuts worldwide. This is all the more reason to start manufacturing our own products again, because there isn't any loyalty when it comes to foreign owned business.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
10,000 job cuts worldwide. This is all the more reason to start manufacturing our own products again, because there isn't any loyalty when it comes to foreign owned business.

So how many of the people in Sunderland's Nissan factory will be getting jobs at the new facility in the West Midlands?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

So why are you posting links championing a foreign owned business moving to the UK?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here