Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still asking that stupid binary question I see .....

I have almost given up the will to live.

I don't understand why you don't or can't answer ? If you don't know, what is the Government who represent you meant to do ?

Well it is getting a bit tiresome but it's repeatedly asked because no one on the thread, or in government, seems to know the answer.

Unlike [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] I have long since given up hope of reading a sensible answer to it or hearing one from May. It is not a stupid binary question - it is at the heart of the dilema currently facing us and, quite possibly, the reason that we will be left with a far harsher binary choice in October of No Deal or No Brexit At All.

It may irk Leave voters but I'm absolutely sure that many people who voted to leave in 2016 did so because a bus said that the NHS would get £350M back, or that Facebook said we could use the money to save polar bears or build flood defences in Yorkshire (see link I've previously posted). It wasn't in Vote Leave's best interest to point out that Northern Ireland would become such a sticky issue that the Good Friday Agreement would be at risk, nor that negotiations with the EU would be so tricky, especially when the IDIOT Prime Minister insists on red lines that were not on the ballot paper and that reduce the decision to - guess what - Watford's binary question.

Let's not even get in to the number of regulations that are going to have to be rewritten in to UK Law or that, if we do "just get on with it" and go on WTO Terms we will not have solved any of the legislative issues mentioned above.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Still asking that stupid binary question I see .....

Asking a stupid binary question? You don't want to do that.

2016_EU_Referendum_Ballot_Paper.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
OK, so if there was a referendum for the unification of Ireland and everyone in NI and everyone in ROI ( I won't use Eire as I know it upsets ManofSussex ) was allowed to vote what do you think the result would be ?

How much violence do you think there'd be from that referendum being called? How would Dublin integrate the sectarian divide and a depressed region it can't afford to subsidise like London can? When the primal fear of the unionist community is realised, where do you think that anger might manifest itself? How many and where does The United Kingdom of Little England and Wales house them?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I wonder why I bother at times :facepalm:

Sometimes I wonder if you act stupid or really are stupid.

So, let's assume someone has the guts to actually hold the referendum - unlikely in NI but that's the point isn't it - don't ask then you don't get an answer you don't like. With 1.8m people in NI and 4.8m people in ROI, how do you think the vote would go ? Now that's a direct question - to YOU - try answering a question for a change ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Put aside the years of upheaval both those scenarios would cause, how do you give independence to somewhere that might not want it?

How does Northern Irish independence work at all?

Surely not an 'undemocratic loon' on the Brexit side?

The question should not be giving independence to somewhere that might not want it i.e. N.Ireland, but does England want independence.

How that is undemocratic I have no idea, and in any case the answer is far from assured that the English would want independence anyway. I was simply asked what my preference would be, I would like independence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well it is getting a bit tiresome but it's repeatedly asked because no one on the thread, or in government, seems to know the answer.

Unlike [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] I have long since given up hope of reading a sensible answer to it or hearing one from May. It is not a stupid binary question - it is at the heart of the dilema currently facing us and, quite possibly, the reason that we will be left with a far harsher binary choice in October of No Deal or No Brexit At All.

It may irk Leave voters but I'm absolutely sure that many people who voted to leave in 2016 did so because a bus said that the NHS would get £350M back, or that Facebook said we could use the money to save polar bears or build flood defences in Yorkshire (see link I've previously posted). It wasn't in Vote Leave's best interest to point out that Northern Ireland would become such a sticky issue that the Good Friday Agreement would be at risk, nor that negotiations with the EU would be so tricky, especially when the IDIOT Prime Minister insists on red lines that were not on the ballot paper and that reduce the decision to - guess what - Watford's binary question.

Let's not even get in to the number of regulations that are going to have to be rewritten in to UK Law or that, if we do "just get on with it" and go on WTO Terms we will not have solved any of the legislative issues mentioned above.

You're gonna need a bigger bus.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have stated that several times on this thread and I believe you were one of the posters I stated it too. I am sorry if I am mistaken, but it seems like we are going round in circles here. I have held that view for a number of years, although I do love the UK in many ways and I am certainly in love with Scotland where, if the weather was better, I would love to live. I have just come to regard the UK as anachronistic and I feel many political tensions with Scotland in particular, could be lessened by a more grown-up and modern relationship. The UK and England has diminished in world importance anyway, much of that was a relic from empire and reestablishing ourselves as independent countries could be positive.

Thanks again for explaining your preferences.

But what has this go to do with Brexit and the very simple choice that we have to make in the next 6 months :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just like Briexit and this thread:-

[tweet]1116081824126701570[/tweet]

oh wait,

no

Actually I mean't 'nothing like it at all'.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How much violence do you think there'd be from that referendum being called? How would Dublin integrate the sectarian divide and a depressed region it can't afford to subsidise like London can? When the primal fear of the unionist community is realised, where do you think that anger might manifest itself? How many and where does The United Kingdom of Little England and Wales house them?

I think the part I highlighted is a very good point.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Well according to WO it's written into the GFA that if a majority of NI and ROI want unification then it will happen - his words not mine. How could one know what people want without actually asking them ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The question should not be giving independence to somewhere that might not want it i.e. N.Ireland, but does England want independence.

How that is undemocratic I have no idea, and in any case the answer is far from assured that the English would want independence anyway. I was simply asked what my preference would be, I would like independence.

English independence from what? How would this work? Who is actually advocating English independence politically? Is there a party to vote for? Is the Queen staying our head of state? Is she going to be allowed to reside in England, or is she being exiled to Balmoral? Does England get The British Embassy in Washington during the week and Scotland and Northern Ireland share it at alternative weekends?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You make some good points from a perspective that I do not necessarily concur with but I can sympathise with. The reason it is a stupid question is that as you say, if the politicians can't provide any answers, then we haven't a hope either. It is a classic case of repeating but expecting different results, either that or it's just unnecessary trolling.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Independence for The South East/Sussex/East Sussex/Brighton and Hove/Pavilion

The lengths people will go to rather than answer the simple question which is staring them in the face

Desperate ? :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You make some good points from a perspective that I do not necessarily concur with but I can sympathise with. The reason it is a stupid question is that as you say, if the politicians can't provide any answers, then we haven't a hope either. It is a classic case of repeating but expecting different results, either that or it's just unnecessary trolling.

The politicians have provided three answers. Customs Union, Hard Border or Stop Brexit. (I say provided, these have been the options since the day after the referendum, but the politicians seem to have finally agreed these are the options).

They now seem to be having trouble deciding which 'the people' want. I can't imagine why ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
English independence from what? How would this work? Who is actually advocating English independence politically? Is there a party to vote for? Is the Queen staying our head of state? Is she going to be allowed to reside in England, or is she being exiled to Balmoral? Does England get The British Embassy in Washington during the week and Scotland and Northern Ireland share it at alternative weekends?

Hahaha! I am not a political party nor do I ever claim to have the answers. I am expressing my opinion about what I would like to happen at some point in the future. It is my preferred option, that's all, if that's okay on a message board in a free(ish) country?

On the subject of the Queen, I can't see too many problems is the constituent countries of the UK wish to keep her as HOS.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well according to WO it's written into the GFA that if a majority of NI and ROI want unification then it will happen - his words not mine. How could one know what people want without actually asking them ?

Basically the British Northern Ireland Secretary has the power to call one if a majority is perceived to be in favour. Until at some point in the future that majority happens to be huge, I doubt any Secretary of State would countenance it for a second - When they say 'No surrender' they mean it and their anger will be vented at all and sundry - particularly to those who've betrayed them too. It's been the primal fear of the unionists since partitioning - betrayal by the English.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hahaha! I am not a political party nor do I ever claim to have the answers. I am expressing my opinion about what I would like to happen at some point in the future. It is my preferred option, that's all, if that's okay on a message board in a free(ish) country?

On the subject of the Queen, I can't see too many problems is the constituent countries of the UK wish to keep her as HOS.

I find your opinion on that utterly bemusing, but fair enough.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The lengths people will go to in rather than answer the simple question

Sometimes I wonder if you act stupid or really are stupid.

So, let's assume someone has the guts to actually hold the referendum - unlikely in NI but that's the point isn't it - don't ask then you don't get an answer you don't like. With 1.8m people in NI and 4.8m people in ROI, how do you think the vote would go ? Now that's a direct question - to YOU - try answering a question for a change ?

Indeed ...... and the hypocracy !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here