Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just to get facts right Checs and slovaks came together in 1918 after ww1 they were not for ed together by soviets after ww2. If you visit slovakia you will find many people who did not want the split at all

Quite a few of the older folk miss communism too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why have they now set up as a Political Party then ? Change UK

Can't you READ? I'll repeat, "That any notion of a party is simply there so they can take part in EU Elections?"

Why did they vote against these policies in Parliament then ?

Which policies? That's a bit vague. When you're not being whipped you can vote for or against whichever policies you want. That's the whole POINT :dunce:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You are one of the most entrenched people I have read on here. One part from Trig for a justification. My point is so simple, there were many remain posters who stated a no deal would not hurt the EU much.

For the record i did not say that the EU had ever wanted a no deal.
But Trig did, and you jumped in
No I didn't. I was highlighting that the EU are really against a No Deal, as it would harm the EU. We were told on here that the EU wouldn't even suffer from a No Deal, and that they were unlikely to offer us an extension. I knew that was wrong, of course they were going to offer us an extension. They've offered us two so far.

I did not say that the EU wanted No Deal (or that anyone else had claimed that).

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not since Monday when the Queen gave Royal Assent to a Bill of Parliament which makes it law.
Yes, so laws can be made in Parliament, not by what's said in a Vote Leave campaign.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No I didn't. I was highlighting that the EU are really against a No Deal, as it would harm the EU. We were told on here that the EU wouldn't even suffer from a No Deal, and that they were unlikely to offer us an extension. I knew that was wrong, of course they were going to offer us an extension. They've offered us two so far.

I did not say that the EU wanted No Deal.

Apologies, you said that others on here had said it, and may need to rethink, I, like Watford, do not recall anyone suggesting that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What? I didn't quote the Vote Leave manifesto, you did. You said leaving without a deal wasn't an option, because of what the Vote Leave campaign said, and I've simply pointed out that what they said isn't enshrined in law. Leaving without a deal is an option. A bad one, IMO, but still an option. It's also an option to remain part of the Single Market, and not take back control of our borders, but I don't suppose the Vote Leave campaign were pushing that either.

I wasn't implying you were quoting the leave manifesto, I was merely stating you were quoting me who was.

As for your supposition on the single market, the Leave Manifesto stated: 'There is a free trade area zone stretching from Iceland to The Russian border. We will still be part of it after we Vote Leave.'

That sounds suspiciously like the single market to me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would rather leave this MEP Election to the Remainers with the Leavers either abstaining or spoiling their papers. After all we don't want it. It would be interesting to see how many people would be bothered to vote for someone.

As a leaver I have every intention of voting ...... and it will be for an anti-EU party !!!!!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Having had the statistic that 85% of people voted for a party that had honouring the leave vote in their manifesto, as a reason to dismiss out of hand the largest ever petition to the UK Parliament, I will no longer tactically vote, and as you say, very often that tactical vote does not do the trick anyway.

I think it's only JCPasta and Conservative Central Office who make that thin claim about the 85 per cent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apologies, you said that others on here had said it, and may need to rethink
No, I didn't say that, my post got misinterpreted.

This was my post, following the news that we've been given another extension:
"So maybe a couple of people here will now accept that the EU really don't want a No Deal Brexit either. "

Unfortunately there can be ambiguity with our language. My point was that some said that the EU don't care if there's No Deal, and at the time I said they do care, as it would harm them. The fact that they've now given us two extensions is proof that the EU are quite against a No Deal. That's not to say I suggested anyone claimed that the EU actually wanted a No Deal. I am claiming that there were some who thought the EU weren't worried about a No Deal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I did not say that the EU wanted No Deal (or that anyone else had claimed that).

Sorry Trig, this was what started it

So maybe a couple of people here will now accept that the EU really don't want a No Deal Brexit either.

So I responded

You've got me interested now Trig. Who thought the EU wanted a 'no deal' ? (facepalm emoji removed in case someone thought it insulting)

And you clarified

I doubt remainers thought the EU wanted a No Deal, it's more that they said it didn't matter to the EU if there was No Deal. Before the end of March there was talk that the EU wouldn't grant an extension, and I said if the alternative was a No Deal they'd be daft not to grant an extension. I was then criticised on here for thinking a No Deal would be a problem for the EU.

In the meanwhile

Green Cross Code Man dived in with

Lots of posts from remainers earlier in the thread stressing that a no deal wouldn't matter to the EU etc etc.

I am referring to the sentiment. I agree that the opinion has been expressed at length that a no deal would be worse for Britain. It doesn't mean there haven't been loads of posts that have expressed that a no deal would not hurt the EU much.

I think the outcome of this whole farce (mini-Brexit, if you like) is that no one has ever said that the EU wanted a 'no deal' or said that 'No deal' would have no effect on the EU, (unless or until someone quotes a post that proves otherwise).

Are we finally agreed on something :rolleyes:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As for your supposition on the single market, the Leave Manifesto stated: 'There is a free trade area zone stretching from Iceland to The Russian border. We will still be part of it after we Vote Leave.'
I don't really understand what their point was - Iceland to Russia is basically Scandinavia, and Finland and Sweden are in the EU anyway. What were they talking about?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry Trig, this was what started it
So I responded
And you clarified
Yes I know all of that. And my first post that you've quoted above is my response to Baldseagull, who was posting after everything had been clarrified (not that I'm having a go at Baldseagull for not reading every post, I was just highlighting again that I hadn't said what I'd been accused of.

I think the outcome of this whole farce (mini-Brexit, if you like) is that no one has ever said that the EU wanted a 'no deal' or said that 'No deal' would have no effect on the EU, (unless or until someone proves otherwise).
Sadly we're not quite agreed, as people did say 'No Deal' would have no effect on the EU...

Here you go:

Dude on the tele just said the 27 is unlikely to offer an extension as UK has no idea what it wants.
It depends what would happen if they don't. If not giving an extension means we'd automatically leave with No Deal, it would be pretty stupid for them not to extend it.
How does it adversely affect the EU? How are they going to suffer from us leaving without a withdrawal agreement?
Seriously? We import hundred of billions worth from the EU. That would be affected, therefore affecting their economies.
They still have 26 other countries, plus their trade agreements around the world, ie Australia, Japan, Canada etc to trade with.
Our imports will be zero rated according to the government, so loads can come in, but we will become massively expensive to buy from so our exports will tank.
Oh here we go again - The EU need us more than we need them/It's all Johnny Foreigner's fault. . :facepalm:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We owe a lot to Gina Miller, she will have her place in history

She said at the time her victory was the greatest of all, protecting us all from authoritarian leaders who thought they could do what they liked.

In return she received death threats goaded by sections of the right wing press.

And it's worth remembering that the press goading included the Mail's 'Enemies of the People' attack on the judges, an appalling act that Lord Chancellor Liz Truss failed to respond to. The ghastly bunch of chancers known as the present HM Government can't even defend the independence of the judiciary.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You mean the one who has white skin and is male, and did not get half as much attention as the black woman from the press from the outset. I really don't think she enjoyed the attention she was getting early on, luckily for her there were others that needed branding as traitiors, the judiciary, MP's, and now even the Queen.

You're seriously suggesting she got the coverage because of the colour of her skin ? Nothing to do with hawking herself around ? How many TV shows has the white gentlemen been on since the court case ? I'm yet to see him on Question Time. No, she WANTED the publicity and looked for it ...... and got it. I wonder how much she's earned out of it ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You missed off LDC and a certain council leader ( Lib Dem ) trying get an NSC poster arrested ! Besides, I swore then I would never vote Lib Dem again ( I had in my student years ) and I intend to honour that ...... if only our politicians could honour what they say eh ?

Now if you wish to vote for a party that had members that literally tried to destroy the Albion ( mostly with lies ) then that's for you to deal with.

I guess we make our choices. Mine is to move on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here