Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problems in the North & the poor are down to austerity & the Tories not the EU. It will get worse imo.

Sorry, they’re not entirely correct. I went on many trips ‘up north’ many, many years into the Blair and Brown years, and the poverty was astonishing. Mile after mile of slums, depravation, across all northern cities and towns. Shocking in fact.

(I have remembered your knowledge of West Yorkshire. Where my family’s roots lie).

I agree with your posts in general, but it’s far more systemic than that.

60 years of a nation where all the wealth and prosperity was increasingly centred on London and the SE. Structural changes that left the north in decline.

On a positive, on very recent visits up north, a lot of the slums and sink estates have been cleared, with new housing and the bigger city centres really reinvigorated - Liverpool, Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lots going on in the next week, to understate matters woefully. One of the sub-plots will be the manoeuvres of the various Tory contenders. Loathsome Leadsom and the possibly even more awful Liz Truss (glammed up in a tight boiler suit) have been relatively high profile of late. In the weekend of the Grand National there's been a lot of jockeying for position, but those fences are high and dangerous...………..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry, they’re not entirely correct. I went on many trips ‘up north’ many, many years into the Blair and Brown years, and the poverty was astonishing. Mile after mile of slums, depravation, across all northern cities and towns. Shocking in fact.

(I have remembered your knowledge of West Yorkshire. Where my family’s roots lie).

I agree with your posts in general, but it’s far more systemic than that.

60 years of a nation where all the wealth and prosperity was increasingly centred on London and the SE. Structural changes that left the north in decline.

On a positive, on very recent visits up north, a lot of the slums and sink estates have been cleared, with new housing and the bigger city centres really reinvigorated - Liverpool, Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds.

How grateful we should all be that in 2019 they are clearing the slums.

Jesus wept blood.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Big week coming up, could we be out by next Saturday without a deal ???

...or May could have got her deal through with Jeremy's personal help, ten ministers could have resigned, Corbyn could have listened to his grass roots, May could have given up, parliament could have taken over, either of the two main parties could have started to disintegrate or JCPasta could have started debating with gracious charm... anything is theoretically possible.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Brexit. Not embarrassing at all. What a ****ing mess. Brexiteers need to understand reality as opposed to fantasy.. and bullshit. If you want to 'win' on internet forums at the detriment of the good of the state, then you're stupid *****

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Brexit. Not embarrassing at all. What a ****ing mess. Brexiteers need to understand reality as opposed to fantasy.. and bullshit. If you want to 'win' on internet forums at the detriment of the good of the state, then you're stupid *****

Saw this tweet earlier today and immediately thought of you dave ...

uk-47833702

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
There are clearly a large number of people who just don't want to admit that they've been played.

Admitting that you were made a fool of is a difficult thing to do. Takes someone of strong character to say "yes, I was wrong" but it's an even bigger step to say "yes, I was wrong because I was lied to and I believed it".

That's the struggle that intelligent Leave voters are having to deal with now. Backed into a corner, trying to save face seems better than admitting the truth. Because admitting the truth is difficult in this situation. From a purely emotional/human nature perspective if nothing else.

That`s not true because people have been complaining about the EU for years not what was said before the referendum ,your just making an assumption based on nothing .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sometime ago I mentioned that I have two friends who are married to British men. One French and one Dutch. I was told, here on Nsc, there would be no problems with them getting settled status, as all they had to do was apply on their android phones. It's easy peasy they said. The nice government even abolished the £65 fee for them. Even though the Leave campaign said that the 3 million already in the UK wouldn't have to change their status, the PM did start calling them queue jumpers

Today the French lady told me, that despite working here in the UK, having paid tax and NI all that time, has been told to produce additional evidence of utility bills and bank statements for the last 6 months (??). She has no idea why, and has only been given pre settled status. She is trying to do that but is perplexed when HMRC has records and she has an NI number. Does the Home Office actually know what it is doing, or is this turning out to be another Windrush mashup?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That`s not true because people have been complaining about the EU for years not what was said before the referendum ,your just making an assumption based on nothing .
They'd been complaining based on the bullshit the tabloids printed over many years.

At the time it was simply a cheap way to fill pages.

The EU was never going to sue a newspaper over lies about cucumbers.

With that background it's less than remarkable that Rees Mogg still refuses to remove anti-eu bullshit on his Twitter feed that even the publishers have been forced to retract and apologise for

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Sometime ago I mentioned that I have two friends who are married to British men. One French and one Dutch. I was told, here on Nsc, there would be no problems with them getting settled status, as all they had to do was apply on their android phones. It's easy peasy they said. The nice government even abolished the £65 fee for them. Even though the Leave campaign said that the 3 million already in the UK wouldn't have to change their status, the PM did start calling them queue jumpers

Today the French lady told me, that despite working here in the UK, having paid tax and NI all that time, has been told to produce additional evidence of utility bills and bank statements for the last 6 months (??). She has no idea why, and has only been given pre settled status. She is trying to do that but is perplexed when HMRC has records and she has an NI number. Does the Home Office actually know what it is doing, or is this turning out to be another Windrush mashup?

:nono:

Shameful

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Big week coming up, could we be out by next Saturday without a deal ???

That's your preferred option I know but unlikely to happen as parliament would rather throw 17.4 million ballot papers in the bin.

Probably getting to the end game now ...

Stage 1 Promise to enact the result of this once in a lifetime vote (as agreed by all sides) and set out clear red lines/commitments to get in No 10/get elected

Stage 2 Begin to renege on promises

Stage 3 Big money backers start funding campaigns and groups determined to overturn the referendum result.

Stage 4 Talk up Russian influence and illegal funding to delegitimise the referendum despite zero evidence they had any discernable effect

Stage 5 Negotatite a deal so sh*t it goes down to the biggest defeat in parliamentary history

Stage 6 Renege on even more promises then government/opposition/parliament head towards a 'soft' Brexit that most leavers don't want

Stage 7 Patronising bellends big up leave lies/ ignore Remain lies and insist the poor hoodwinked leave plebs have another go despite the poor hoodwinked leave plebs not wanting another go.

Stage 7* Government/Parliament Renege on the final few promises and Insist we all vote again with only two likely options being May's sh*t deal/ 'soft' Brexit or Remain

Stage 8* Surprise surprise many Leavers either don't vote out of principle or disgust at half in half out being the only choice .... Remain wins on a much-reduced turn out after campaigns that are as bad probably worse than in the 'once in a lifetime' referendum THE END.

*To be confirmed

Democracy RIP

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's your preferred option I know but unlikely to happen as parliament would rather throw 17.4 million ballot papers in the bin.

Stage 1 Promise to enact the result of this once in a lifetime vote (as agreed by all sides) and set out clear red lines/commitments to get in No 10/get elected

Stage 3 Big money backers start funding campaigns and groups determined to overturn the referendum result.

Stage 4 Talk up Russian influence and illegal funding to delegitimise the referendum despite zero evidence they had any discernable effect

Stage 5 Negotatite a deal so sh*t it goes down to the biggest defeat in parliamentary history

Stage 6 Renege on even more promises then government/opposition/parliament head towards a 'soft' Brexit that most leavers don't want

Stage 7 Patronising bellends big up leave lies/ ignore Remain lies and insist the poor hoodwinked leave plebs have another go despite the poor hoodwinked leave plebs not wanting another go.

Stage 7* Government/Parliament Renege on the final few promises and Insist we all vote again with only two likely options being May's sh*t deal/ 'soft' Brexit or Remain

Stage 8* Surprise surprise many Leavers either don't vote out of principle or disgust at half in half out being the only choice .... Remain wins on a much-reduced turn out after campaigns that are as bad probably worse than in the 'once in a lifetime' referendum THE END.

*To be confirmed

Democracy RIP

Nice little conspiracy theory you've created, in which you call Russian inteference and illegal funding as just a conspiracy theory.

If advertising spend made no discernible difference, the Saatchi Brothers would be skint.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Democracy RIP

Nah, democracy is responsible for all sorts of nasty outcomes but can correct itself.

Hopefully (whatever happens) your favoured style of "democracy" populism is dead.

We've had MPs blatantly lying on social media and television (Rees Mogg, Duncan Smith) and Mark Francois quoting Jesus in Parliament like an American evangelist.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If, as has been cited, unemployment is at a record low, why are we stopping free movement ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Saw this tweet earlier today and immediately thought of you dave ...

uk-47833702

It doesnt appall me at all. Embrace your 'victory'. Passports made by French company will change colour and have the words European Union removed. FREEDOM!!!!
I have permanent residence here now. A travel document for me is not so important.IMG_154996286433F.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2 businesses featured on Radio 5 today. Both from North Wales both involve exporting 'live' produce to EU (bees and mussels). If lorries are delayed by as little as 2 days stock will be dead on arrival. End of 2 businesses.

Perhaps 'Dead on Arrival' could be the new tag line for Brexit?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

*To be confirmed

Democracy RIP

A splendidly objective analysis. Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here