[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well a closed mind is always a closed mind .... if you actually bothered to look at the plans for closer ties that the EU propose it does indeed include a EU Army & Financial Commissioner so maybe you should do some more research.

Good grief. We have a POWER OF VETO.

I had you pegged as just uniformed.

Seems willfully uninformed is closer to the mark.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well a closed mind is always a closed mind .... if you actually bothered to look at the plans for closer ties that the EU propose it does indeed include a EU Army & Financial Commissioner so maybe you should do some more research.

https://www.forces.net/news/britain-not-going-be-participating-european-army-says-defence-secretary

A more detailed explanation of what is actually meant by an EU “army”. It’s not what you think. It’s a co-ordination of security forces, not an “army”

https://www.themilitarytimes.co.uk/defence-security/the-uk-will-not-join-a-european-army/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ck-does-the-eu-want-a-european-super-army?amp

It has also been established that although the EU Army is a myth, the U.K. would have always have a veto if such an army ever came into existence. There are no plans for this to come into existence. There are plans to have a more coordinated voluntary security service. They would never have the power to override the existing U.K. forces, force conscription or put British troops into harm’s way.

Last edited:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Good grief. We have a POWER OF VETO.

I had you pegged as just uniformed.

Seems willfully uninformed is closer to the mark.

I am not disputing we have the power of a Veto ..... but do you honestly see Corbyn or whoever is the LibDem leader using it to veto anything the EU suggest such as the two things I have said the EU hope for ? .... a Veto is only as good as the person who holds it in their hand which would be useless in the hands of Labour or LibDem leaders. Not that the Conservatives are any better as a political force but your assumption that we have a Veto so we will use it can not be upheld unless you have a crystal ball in which case what are the winning lottery ticket numbers please ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not disputing we have the power of a Veto ..... but do you honestly see Corbyn or whoever is the LibDem leader using it to veto anything the EU suggest such as the two things I have said the EU hope for ? .... a Veto is only as good as the person who holds it in their hand which would be useless in the hands of Labour or LibDem leaders. Not that the Conservatives are any better as a political force but your assumption that we have a Veto so we will use it can not be upheld unless you have a crystal ball in which case what are the winning lottery ticket numbers please ?

Well, now you have now entirely changed tack, from "I heard from reputable sources that all EU nations will be forced to join the Euro by 2020", and "There are plans for an EU Army", to "The UK Government of the day might WANT to choose a path I don't like".

:shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Honestly, if you are concerned about joining the Euro or a Euro Army please have a read of the links I posted. They should put your mind at rest and quash any fears you may have.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Well, now you have now entirely changed tack, from "I heard from reputable sources that all EU nations will be forced to join the Euro by 2020", and "There are plans for an EU Army", to "The UK Government of the day might WANT to choose a path I don't like".

:shrug:

Not at all .... I simply pointed out that the proposals for closer ties include an EU Army , a Financial Commissioner/Director and that I had heard a reputable person on a reputable TV News channel report that countries would be forced to use the Euro (opt out or not) from 2022

Oh spot the difference from what I said and the link that was posted earlier ... I said 2022 ... the link reports on 2020 ... two entirely different dates.

As for pointing out that a Veto is only as good as who holds it in their hand was a response to your shouting we have a Veto ( I am not deaf or blind so why you felt the need to shout just shows you cant handle a conversation in a civil way ) , your claim we have a Veto is fine but only if its used when required.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not at all .... I simply pointed out that the proposals for closer ties include an EU Army , a Financial Commissioner/Director and that I had heard a reputable person on a reputable TV News channel report that countries would be forced to use the Euro (opt out or not) from 2022

Oh spot the difference from what I said and the link that was posted earlier ... I said 2022 ... the link reports on 2020 ... two entirely different dates.

As for pointing out that a Veto is only as good as who holds it in their hand was a response to your shouting we have a Veto ( I am not deaf or blind so why you felt the need to shout just shows you cant handle a conversation in a civil way ) , your claim we have a Veto is fine but only if its used when required.

You need to do some research.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You're wrong again.

The veto in the scenarios proposed, isn't "only as good as who holds it" at all. Either of those things (the UK adopting the Euro, or joining your mythical EU Army) would require a public referendum.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If we remained in the EU, I would suggest out of all the leaders we have now and in the past few decades, Labour and Tory, he would be the most likely to use our veto against the EU over any of the others.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Honestly, if you are concerned about joining the Euro or a Euro Army please have a read of the links I posted. They should put your mind at rest and quash any fears you may have.

I thank you for the links but I am of the mind I wish this country to control this country including its finances , military , laws & trade deals. Its my preference I have never said otherwise , what I originally pointed out which has somehow got lost is that its almost a certainty we are heading for a referendum and that the choices will both have major drawbacks including Remain which everybody assumes will mean the status quo which if the EU gets its way for closer ties most certainly wont be the case.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
[MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] - you do realise that long list of Professors means feck all? Hundreds believe the opposite. Put two in the same room and they’ll disagree with each other. It’s what they do, the entire ‘art’ of economics is deeply flawed, because it’s about predicting the future and we nearly always get it wrong. Don’t take my word for it though, get Mervyn Kings book about the end of Alchemy as he calls it. I also attended a lecture he did just prior to Brexit where he made this point. Nice chap too, had a brief chat with after.

I think the majority opinion, and not a slim one, is against economic glory from Brexit, but that aside, there are political considerations that economists can choose not concern themselves with, like The Good Friday agreement.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I can only conclude that because you seem unwilling to listen to the actual truth of the matter that you aren’t interested in the facts but only the flimsy ideas that “justify” your Euro scepticism.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thank you for the links but I am of the mind I wish this country to control this country including its finances , military , laws & trade deals. Its my preference I have never said otherwise , what I originally pointed out which has somehow got lost is that its almost a certainty we are heading for a referendum and that the choices will both have major drawbacks including Remain which everybody assumes will mean the status quo which if the EU gets its way for closer ties most certainly wont be the case.

That’s a really odd , but unsurprising attitude to the truth.

I guess that’s why we are in this mess.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

FFS. Remain DOES mean the status quo, unless we want it to mean otherwise. The EU will not, and can not 'get its way' for the closer (mythical) ties that you keep repeating, unless we agree to that. Which we won't.

:wozza:

Have a great weekend

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
You're wrong again.

The veto in the scenarios proposed, isn't "only as good as who holds it" at all. Either of those things (the UK adopting the Euro, or joining your mythical EU Army) would require a public referendum.

Oh Goody yet more referendums .... that will make everything better ... see my other post where I simply say the point I was making is any second referendum will give poor choices for both sides as even 'Remain' is not as everyone says as keeping the status quo if the EU plans are acted upon , thats not the EU we are currently in that is a different EU.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Think I'm right in saying that it only takes one of the 27 to oppose an extension and out we go. Quite right too. Might be about THE one scenario that forces the political pygmies in parliament to focus on something beyond their personal position and ambition.

Parliament would be forced to Revoke A50, not a good outcome, even as someone who would dearly love to remain, it should be because we choose it, not because we can't function.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
At the end of the day its been a complete waste of time & money as there is little chance of any agreement & will inevitably go to a second referendum which wont solve anything as it will just anger who ever loses & incense the 'leavers' from the first vote who will wonder what their vote is worth if its ignored.

Referendum will end up ... Leave on a bad deal .... Remain & hope we veto the EU plans for a Financial Director and a Euro Army not to mention the fact we would have to use the Euro from 2022 whether we want to or not plans in Euro Parliament

That is utter bullshit, but I have seen it on Facebook before amongst a list of other bullshit, it really is not true, we will not ever have to take the Euro against our wishes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports