Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I never once looked at "leave campaigns website"

Not sure it's my fault that you chose not to look into what a vote for Leave actually meant - odd thing to do considering it appears to be something you care about.

It categorically did NOT mean a vote for No Deal Brexit, and this was made explicit, if you had wanted to find out. You chose not to find out, and wrongly assumed you could vote for a No Deal Brexit.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Again as politely as possible, what on earth are you on about? There is no concrete evidence for this whatsoever. Pretty much no economist agrees with this.

That's just not true, there are numerous leading economists who think it's absolutely true and make the case for it. Of course some economists may think it not true and economics is actually not so easy to forecast long-term as world economies are so interlinked and events elsewhere can have a bigger effect than our own output. There are also certainly vested interests like jp Morgan, Goldman Sachs or Citibank who bankrolled the remain campaign and have huge financial interest in remaining due to their lobby power in the EU, who will tell you otherwise! For obvious reasons

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If your agenda is to not engage then you are....a fraud who shouldn't be there. Farrage is an old fraud of the worst type. He's happy to collect the salary, though. The disgusting little shit. On a par with the Irish Republican members of the British parliament in that regard? I don't know if Gerry Adams collected his salary. If he did then he and Farrage are solumates in fraud. That said, Sinn Fein MPs do actually deal with constituency matters as they relate to the British Parliament. Farrage doesn't even do the equivalent of that.

Sinn Fein claim expenses for staff, travel costs etc but don't receive an MP's salary. As you say though, they do everything else an MP would do other than sit in the chamber and vote.

I couldn't name a single incumbent Sinn Fein MP at Westminster let alone know what they look like or sound like though, unlike that narcissistic little **** Farage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we all completely sure we're not being spoofed?

[tweet]1113707748787724290[/tweet]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not sure it's my fault that you chose not to look into what a vote for Leave meant. It categorically did NOT mean a vote for No Deal Brexit, and this was made explicit, if you had wanted to find out. You chose not to find out, and wrongly assumed you could vote for a No Deal Brexit.

You what ? I didn't look what a vote to leave or Remain meant by looking at a campaign website or hearing a few fuzzy soundbites.

No deal brexit is a term coined since the referendum, it calls the divorce settlement "the deal" it isn't a deal, that's the future relationship that's neither agreed nor legally binding.

Yes, I read article 50 before the referendum, it mentions withdrawal agreement plus future relationship as basis if not legal default (resuming on WTO + mini deals), yes I hoped to be free of the EU in it's entirety as better out than half in and many leave voters feel that way, nobody could know how the withdrawal agreement negotiations, would be so badly bungled by the UK. And I guess everyone wish they'd gone better, But the legal position was always withdrawal agreement or WTO in the absence of one. I voted to leave the EU. The process dictated WA + FR or else WTO, not WA + FR or else ban WTO

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Brexiteers are not all nationalists.... The Tommy Robinson goons singing "rule Britannia" make me cringe. May bottled it.

I was more referring to The ERG, Tory toff, arrogant, clueless, English oddball MP's in her own party, who make reference to 'manged no deal' 'WTO terms' 'our own free trade deals' interspersed with some WW2 nostalgia, than knuckle draggers like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
knuckle draggers like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.
Who shared the stage with Farage last Friday.

Which if nothing else means I know I voted correctly and have no guilt associated with my decision.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Who shared the stage with Farage last Friday.

Which if nothing else means I know I voted correctly and have no guilt associated with my decision.

I didn't watch that march thing, but I'm pretty sure that Farage (not that I like him particularly) didn't share with Tommy Robinson.... TR is now advisor to UKIP and Gerrard Batten, Farage and many UKIPers have long since left. There were separate stages from what I read?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Very well articulated reply. You are of course right in the main, but I guess it's a lack of trust in the political process devoid of civilian input at the ballot box that got us where we are today and where we will end up. As the treaties stand today you're right. But will they always? Would a pro remain government deepen or agree to changes that change the current status? Where is the guarantee except by being outside. It's not so bad today, but we're hovering around the point of no return imho.... And treaties are replaced for those bound by the them!

As things stood on the day of the referendum, this piece of legislation https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/12/section/1/enacted was in force. It does not allow a Government to change our status with the EU without a referendum on the change. It also would have applied to our leaving the EU treaties, so it was repealed by the Withdrawal Act. It did not stop new EU law in areas in which we have previously agreed the EU is to have competence for, but it would get no new areas of competence without our (the electorate) saying so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't watch that march thing, but I'm pretty sure that Farage (not that I like him particularly) didn't share with Tommy Robinson.... TR is now advisor to UKIP and Gerrard Batten, Farage and many UKIPers have long since left. There were separate stages from what I read?

Fair do's.

I still own my point even if they were one stage removed!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Speaking of UKIP, I see Neil Hamilton is now clear 2nd favourite ahead of the Tories for the Newport West by-election today.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I voted to leave on WTO terms (which is what is now branded as "no deal")

Congratulations. Here's what you've won.

[TWEET]1113741351454236673[/TWEET]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doesn't matter what outcome is decided from here on it, it'll be accompanied by mass flouncing and accusations of treason. That's how broken the whole thing is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You what ? I didn't look what a vote to leave or Remain meant by looking at a campaign website or hearing a few fuzzy soundbites.

No deal brexit is a term coined since the referendum, it calls the divorce settlement "the deal" it isn't a deal, that's the future relationship that's neither agreed nor legally binding.

Yes, I read article 50 before the referendum, it mentions withdrawal agreement plus future relationship as basis if not legal default (resuming on WTO + mini deals), yes I hoped to be free of the EU in it's entirety as better out than half in and many leave voters feel that way, nobody could know how the withdrawal agreement negotiations, would be so badly bungled by the UK. And I guess everyone wish they'd gone better, But the legal position was always withdrawal agreement or WTO in the absence of one. I voted to leave the EU. The process dictated WA + FR or else WTO, not WA + FR or else ban WTO
[tweet]1113547733300842497[/tweet]

Thread is well worth a read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just got my renewed passport (less than a week, brilliant service) and it's European and red, as it should be and how it should stay.
If, we do leave and they ask me to pay again for a stupid blue British one I shall refuse and take them to the European court of Human rights, because Europe does that sort of thing very well, unlike the Brits.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If your agenda is to not engage then you are....a fraud who shouldn't be there. Farrage is an old fraud of the worst type. He's happy to collect the salary, though. The disgusting little shit. On a par with the Irish Republican members of the British parliament in that regard? I don't know if Gerry Adams collected his salary. If he did then he and Farrage are solumates in fraud. That said, Sinn Fein MPs do actually deal with constituency matters as they relate to the British Parliament. Farrage doesn't even do the equivalent of that.

Can't stand the bloke. He keeps trying to stir up trouble for our friends in Brussels. He should leave them alone to get on with their work, sorting out their accounts for the last 20 years. I need a good laugh.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just got my renewed passport (less than a week, brilliant service) and it's European and red, as it should be and how it should stay.
If, we do leave and they ask me to pay again for a stupid blue British one I shall refuse and take them to the European court of Human rights, because Europe does that sort of thing very well, unlike the Brits.

Excellent.....and I would expect all other European Nationalists to do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here