Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just hope May, Corbyn and moderate MP’s reach an agreement in principle, that is taken to the EU, who will listen I think.

Loving the Twatter soundbites of arch Remainers or Hard Brexiteers, because they agree with us, only furnishes our inflexible black and white views of the world.

5Live was interesting before 7pm. They had Corbynista Russell-Moyle bitterly referring to “She” (aka Teresa May) and in a softer tone “Jeremy”, immediately slamming all doors shut. Then, by way of total contrast, they had Stephen Kinnock and a moderate Tory MP on, talking intelligently on how this might work, in which ways May has to compromise, etc.

Kinnock and the other guy give us hope.

Do you really think May is going to compromise?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Yes is the answer because I am not responsible for them.

Right.... I think that explains your perspective clearer; if you are not the perpetrator, you need not do or say anything.

Is that Is that your position with regard to the killing of Jo Cox ? You're not responsible for it, so you can't criticise it but you 'wouldn't defend it'? Just wanting to make sure I understand you correctly.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for your response. My post was an attempt to test your opinion and, as I said, I take your point about the fairest format for a confirmatory vote. Think I will stand by my assertion that Remain has been shown to be more popular than any specific form of Brexit.

The second referendum campaign that started at the end of June 2016 by remain establishment figures, most recently called "people's vote" is now called confirmatory vote..... Are all the same thing.

A brazen attempt that started in June 2016 to overturn the referendum or have another go until you get the "right" result, as has happened in numerous EU referendums across Europe.

How about the question of leave or Remain was settled in 2016 in the largest ever democratic process in our nation's history and once we actually leave the EU (which we haven't) and the vote is implemented start your campaign for a vote to get back in..... Or how about a confirmatory referendum with various brexit options like Norway, CU, WTO etc on the ballot but not remain as that "people's vote" has already happened and is still not implemented?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Right.... I think that explains your perspective quite clearly. As you are not the perpetrator, you need not do or say anything. Is that your position with regard to the killing of Jo Cox - you're not responsible, so you can't comment? Just wanting to make sure I understand you correctly.

I am not going to condemn or approve the action of either side. Jo Cox was killed by a crazed psychotic. You Sir can go play with your silly traps with another poster. Bored now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was kinda with you until you blamed the Tories for the demise of the Lib Dems. The Lib Dems have to take responsibility for their own mistakes, just as the Tories should be raking responsibility for theirs.

In 2010 they're popular, yet within a year of coalition with the Tories their tuition fees policy is cast aside and that is the end of them - full stop. Labour can take us into an illegal war, the Tories can divide the nation for decades re Brexit yet both parties are forgiven and carry on while one policy - tuition fees - destroys a party. I concede the Lib Dems made some mistakes but they've been given the electric chair for stealing a loaf of bread.

The Lib Dems did many good things in that 5 years of coalition, and to have had a powerful, supportive voice in the 2016 referendum would have helped Cameron win with Remain. Unfortunately, the Lib Dems were made the scapegoat for something, lost all bar a handful of seats and were left to pick up their teeth off the floor.

By losing a centre party politics has polarised, and its no surprise the two sides have failed to reach agreement over Brexit. A Lib Dem party with 30 or 40 seats would have made a profound difference, but hey ho

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’s clearly a trap.

I imagine the plan is for her to have a meeting and come out saying labour will not agree on anything and try and shift the blame of no deal.

Or they agree to pass the deal and when it’s a complete mess blame labour as well.

Agreed. It's on a par with something Baldrick would have come up with, the only difference is it doesn't involve a turnip.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am not going to condemn or approve the action of either side. Jo Cox was killed by a crazed psychotic. You Sir can go play with your silly traps with another poster. Bored now.

Sorry if by trying to understand your comments I have agitated or bored you. I just think that with such views you might have a persuasive rationale and not be reduced to muddled thinking....

I hope you will show how you 'observe' rather than condemn views that differ from yours on this thread.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The second referendum campaign that started at the end of June 2016 by remain establishment figures, most recently called "people's vote" is now called confirmatory vote..... Are all the same thing.

A brazen attempt that started in June 2016 to overturn the referendum or have another go until you get the "right" result, as has happened in numerous EU referendums across Europe.

How about the question of leave or Remain was settled in 2016 in the largest ever democratic process in our nation's history and once we actually leave the EU (which we haven't) and the vote is implemented start your campaign for a vote to get back in..... Or how about a confirmatory referendum with various brexit options like Norway, CU, WTO etc on the ballot but not remain as that "people's vote" has already happened and is still not implemented?

Well if you don't know (or still can't decide) which it was you voted for 3 years ago (Norway, Canada, CU, Single Market, Hard Border, No deal, WTO etc etc) then it certainly makes sense to have a referendum to try and find out which it is you and the rest of the electorate want. What I cannot imagine, is why you would want one particular option taken out ?

Or maybe I can ???

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In 2010 they're popular, yet within a year of coalition with the Tories their tuition fees policy is cast aside and that is the end of them - full stop. Labour can take us into an illegal war, the Tories can divide the nation for decades re Brexit yet both parties are forgiven and carry on while one policy - tuition fees - destroys a party. I concede the Lib Dems made some mistakes but they've been given the electric chair for stealing a loaf of bread.

The Lib Dems did many good things in that 5 years of coalition, and to have had a powerful, supportive voice in the 2016 referendum would have helped Cameron win with Remain. Unfortunately, the Lib Dems were made the scapegoat for something, lost all bar a handful of seats and were left to pick up their teeth off the floor.

By losing a centre party politics has polarised, and its no surprise the two sides have failed to reach agreement over Brexit. A Lib Dem party with 30 or 40 seats would have made a profound difference, but hey ho
Bang on.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry if by trying to understand your comments I have agitated or bored you. I just think that with such views you might have a persuasive rationale and not be reduced to muddled thinking....

I hope you will show how you 'observe' rather than condemn views that differ from yours on this thread.

I Sir don't give a god damn about what you think. Why would I?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I just wish these two would disappear:

David Davies - quietly arrogant, not living in the real world .... Hard Brexit is dead.
Ian Duncan-Smith - slimmy, disingenuous, has always given the impression of someone who believes he’s a great of British history.
We're going to need an even bigger rock.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I had a contracted workman in my house today fixing electrical equipment. I was discussing Phil Hammond with the wife when he launched into an argumentative opinion on Brexit. I am a leaver he a remainer. He was exasperated when the wife told him we are paying you don't interrupt on a private conversation. He was so flustered that he left a face plate off a dangerous electrical board. First remainer job lost, or at least a severe reprimand to keep your mouth shut!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here