Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brexiteers angry at the British Parliament, after arguing they should run the country is pretty funny.,
Oh fck off Dave. It isn't funny in the slightest. Getting on for half the population feels betrayed by the ruling classes because of a dreadfully thought through referendum and some astonishing incompetence, ignorance and arrogance by those clinging to government. It has been totally unacceptable.

We can argue the toss about the rights and wrongs of the issue, but what is undoubtedly the case is that whichever side loses can now feel either betrayed or totally ignored. There isn't one good thing to come out of any of this. Not one. And it isn't funny to anyone but a gloating moron.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Oh fck off Dave. It isn't funny in the slightest. Getting on for half the population feels betrayed by the ruling classes because of a dreadfully thought through referendum.

We can argue the toss about the rights and wrongs of the issue, but what is undoubtedly the case is that whichever side loses can now feel either betrayed or totally ignored. There isn't one good thing to come out of any of this. Not one. And it isn't funny to anyone but a gloating moron.

Nobody is gloating. Its more about NSC posters who have dished out insults for the last 2 year over this cluster****, are getting what they wanted and ****ing whining about it. I would imagine more than half the country now feels betrayed with this mess. Absolute bullshit provided by the Leave campaigners and now, after taking in the bullshit are angry at the very people they wanted in place, because their own particular version of what they want out of this mess isnt what they are getting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Absolutely lovely waking up this morning and still being a part of the EU.
What a beautiful day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nobody is gloating. Its more about NSC posters who have dished out insults for the last 2 year over this cluster****, are getting what they wanted and ****ing whining about it. I would imagine more than half the country now feels betrayed with this mess. Absolute bullshit provided by the Leave campaigners and now, after taking in the bullshit are angry at the very people they wanted in place, because their own particular version of what they want out of this mess isnt what they are getting.
You said "Brexiteers angry". That's not just NSC posters is it?

We are supposed to be a democracy, and with that comes responsibility, and that Brexit referendum was poorly thought through and implementation has been inexcusable I really do hope that the next election is characterised by mass protest votes against both major parties, especially the Tories. They have been absolutely disgraceful in government, far more than controversial people like Thatcher I can tell you. Shameful.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

We are supposed to be a democracy, and with that comes responsibility, and that Brexit referendum was poorly thought through and implementation has been inexcusable I really do hope that the next election is characterised by mass protest votes against both major parties, especially the Tories. They have been absolutely disgraceful in government, far more than controversial people like Thatcher I can tell you. Shameful.

I agree about the next election........ Bet it doesn't happen though. The major parties seem to be able to do as they please with people still voting for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

It is a disgrace, youre right. We are told in sound-bites over and over again, that they 'believe' and I even heard recently, the 'vast majority' no less of the British people want to leave. I 'believe' that is complete bollocks after we now know that the leave campaign was based on bullshit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is a disgrace, youre right. We are told in sound-bites over and over again, that they 'believe' and I even heard recently, the 'vast majority' no less of the British people want to leave. I 'believe' that is complete bollocks after we now know that the leave campaign was based on bullshit.
Well I've always believed that but there are still compelling reasons to leave which some of the more intelligent leavers on here have made clear.

It is not "funny" that - given those reasons - they are not going to have their wishes enacted after a democratic vote. That's where I take issue with you talking like it's all hilarious that us remainers might get our way by default.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I've always believed that but there are still compelling reasons to leave which some of the more intelligent leavers on here have made clear.

It is not "funny" that - given those reasons - they are not going to have their wishes enacted after a democratic vote. That's where I take issue with you talking like it's all hilarious that us remainers might get our way by default.

I am 100% a remainer but accept we are a democracy and have to accept the majority vote, otherwise it’s a self defeating farce however small the majority was :down:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

After a democratic unbinding vote.
I dont think remainers will get anything. I think the UK will leave. Then the serious business of the trade negotiations begins, with this government in charge of it?. Good luck.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A vote of 52% to 48% and a record turn out would suggest that the country was split, feelings were running high and that what was needed was a leader who could steer a route that could be acceptable to all. The logical conclusion of this kind of result would be to leave, but to keep close connections to the EU because this would reflect the nature of the result. Nobody would be completely happy, but everyone would get something of what they wanted: that's democracy.

Instead, a leader who, on taking office made noises about bringing the country together, refused to admit that the vote was close and the country was split and did nothing but try to seek the support of those who wanted the hardest possible Brexit. Her reason for this perverse action? The same as the reason her predecessor held the referendum in the first place: Party over country. The country can split, the Union can go hang, providing the Conservative Party stays together. Corbyn is also not blameless. He was far more interested in how Brexit could be used to get him into power than in trying to find a solution. However, he was in a weak position in his party and could have been forced into agreeing the compromise had May decided to negotiate across party lines.

Those disappointed by the inevitable fugazi of her choice of direction should not be making over-the-top statements about 17 million people being disenfranchised or ignored. Brexit itself is not being blocked. A hard Brexit that has never been put to the electorate is being blocked. If your kids are in complete disagreement about what to have for tea, you find a middle ground, you don't say that we had a vote and that the vegetarian lost and now has no choice but to eat raw steak.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
A vote of 52% to 48% and a record turn out would suggest that the country was split, feelings were running high and that what was needed was a leader who could steer a route that could be acceptable to all. The logical conclusion of this kind of result would be to leave, but to keep close connections to the EU because this would reflect the nature of the result. Nobody would be completely happy, but everyone would get something of what they wanted: that's democracy.

Instead, a leader who, on taking office made noises about bringing the country together, refused to admit that the vote was close and the country was split and did nothing but try to seek the support of those who wanted the hardest possible Brexit. Her reason for this perverse action? The same as the reason her predecessor held the referendum in the first place: Party over country. The country can split, the Union can go hang, providing the Conservative Party stays together. Corbyn is also not blameless. He was far more interested in how Brexit could be used to get him into power than in trying to find a solution. However, he was in a weak position in his party and could have been forced into agreeing the compromise had May decided to negotiate across party lines.

Those disappointed by the inevitable fugazi of her choice of direction should not be making over-the-top statements about 17 million people being disenfranchised or ignored. Brexit itself is not being blocked. A hard Brexit that has never been put to the electorate is being blocked. If your kids are in complete disagreement about what to have for tea, you find a middle ground, you don't say that we had a vote and that the vegetarian lost and now has no choice but to eat raw steak.

Totally agree with this. It's time to compromise which means a softer Brexit

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not convinced a lot of Leavers know the facts now. Friends of mine, intelligent friends, are still talking about unelected bureaucrats, and the customs union meaning frictionless trade (it doesn't) and Switzerland not having a hard border etc.
Ask them the difference between the single market, and customs union, and they don't know.
I'm not saying this to be smug, as I've learned as I go along, and I still don't know the half of it.
Leaves biggest asset was using short memes telling lies. Take back control being one of the biggest imo.

Most of the electorate would not know the facts, or be particularly interested. One million people marched, with other protests the other way, but out of a 65 million population, the vast majority just get on with their lives. The chattering classes, which would include those here, probably know a fair bit now, but it's a complex issue and I doubt many people know the differences between Customs Union, Norway Plus, WTO terms, Canada Plus etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most of the electorate would not know the facts, or be particularly interested. One million people marched, with other protests the other way, but out of a 65 million population, the vast majority just get on with their lives. The chattering classes, which would include those here, probably know a fair bit now, but it's a complex issue and I doubt many people know the differences between Customs Union, Norway Plus, WTO terms, Canada Plus etc.

That's what worries me. Even the customs union is for goods only, not services. This is why jobs are at risk.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Unfortunately, that can be said of any election. That's why it's the job of those on either side to properly educate the electorate but in reality they seek the soundbite that would convince the ignorant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here