Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It’s very simple. Take it back to the country, Remain or Leave, if Leave, which Leave, no deal or Mays deal. If politicians like Smogg can change their mind then why can’t we ask the country when so much has changed in the last three years.

HAPPY BREXIT DAY

:cheery:
Indeed, I would willingly accept the result of a referendum now that ALL the facts of what will happen are on the table plus for any election/referendum the likes of Cambridge Analytica will be closely monitored.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought only MPs talked in Unicorns and Magical Creatures?

If the Labour Party had it's shite together it still wouldn't be a large distance BEHIND the Conservatives in the polls, and Jeremy wouldn't be trailing Terri by an even larger margin.

You wouldn't have thought it possible to be polling worse than the most incompetent self serving, weaselly bunch of childish shisters to ever take power, and yet...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Can someone explain to somebody a touch slow like me:

Should we be forced into a best of three, and Leave win again, how would it get through anyway if EU won't budge and our learned MPs vote it down? Aren't we back here again?

Ergo, no point, just get on with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The ERG have been a massive part of the problem. In Iain Martin's column in The Times yesterday he wrote about them and a 2nd referendum which Dominic Cummings is already preparing for:

Cummings is also clear that the hardline Tories of the European Research Group will play no part in this. They’ll be banned from joining.

In his blog, Cummings castigated in clinical terms MPs in general and members of the ERG in particular. Some of these hardliners have spent years feasting on media attention that they will never receive again, while wittering on about the WTO.

The bottom line is that they propped up Theresa May when she should have been removed after losing her majority in the 2017 election. That would have given us a chance to reset Brexit negotiations. Next, they botched an attempt to oust her last December. Now some of them have changed position to back her deal when it’s probably too late and is done for anyway.

Correctly, the Cummings analysis is that such Tory infighting obscures a bigger point. If Brexit is stopped and the Tory party chooses not to become the voice of a new Leave movement, then his network might have to become a new party to take on the old ones that promised to respect the 2016 vote and didn’t. Let’s see.

Says a friend: “Dom thinks the Tories might be about to slit their own throats for good if Brussels insists on a second referendum as the price of avoiding no-deal.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beware-the-anger-of-frustrated-brexiteers-wdrtk6pm9

Every time I have seen him interviewed in the past year and a back he has been furious at the Brexiteers unrealistic stand point.

He is right, they had a chance to vote for it three times and they didnt.

I imagine half of them would prefer for us to stay in so they can continue to moan, what would be the point of them if they actually left?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If anyone fancies a good laugh, go to the BBC website and find How Did My MP Vote....tap in Boris Johnson and you will see that suddenly, A, he has supported the deal since Maybot announced she would step down if it passed and B, the image the BBC are using of Boris makes him look like Jasper Carrot in the worst blonde wig EVER!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Can someone explain to somebody a touch slow like me:

Should we be forced into a best of three, and Leave win again, how would it get through anyway if EU won't budge and our learned MPs vote it down? Aren't we back here again?

Ergo, no point, just get on with it.

Just get on with what....exactly?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the Labour Party had it's shite together it still wouldn't be a large distance BEHIND the Conservatives in the polls, and Jeremy wouldn't be trailing Terri by an even larger margin.

You wouldn't have thought it possible to be polling worse than the most incompetent self serving, weaselly bunch of childish shisters to ever take power, and yet...

Apparently the combined polling results for May & Corbyn (separately, are they doing a good job?), are the lowest for any PM & opposition leader since first measured.

With the LibDems so off the radar in terms of publicity, (eg who’s their leader????), the next GE is going to be so bizarre.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Whether you believe they are incompetent or not, they are not at fault for this.

It would be like saying the Conservatives were responsible for the Iraq War. 84 Labour MPs rebelled against the war, only 2 Tories voted against, however the fault of the Iraq War is firmly at the door of Labour, and rightly so they were in GOVERNMENT.

Referendum - called by the Conservatives
Referendum campaigns - led by the Conservatives
General election - called by the Conservatives
Brexit deal - negotiated by the Conservatives.

The argument over Labour's incompetence is another discussion, but they were not invited to participate in the Brexit negotiations, they've not been part of it's formation, their position has been consistent since the election.

We can have a discussion about Labour on another thread, but they really are not at fault for this mess.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Every time I have seen him interviewed in the past year and a back he has been furious at the Brexiteers unrealistic stand point.

I imagine half of them would prefer for us to stay in so they can continue to moan, what would be the point of them if they actually left?
Nigel Farage has had a career based on opposing Europe on principle at every level, he would have been quite happy if the 52/48 spilt had gone against leaving as he stated he would not be giving up his " Crusade " despite losing the vote. This would have seen him in a job for life......however, his principles never extended to the point where he refused to draw his salary or his attendance allowances.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Adhere to the result of the referendum which MPs managed to agree by 6/1 to implement. I believe the options were Stay or Leave on the form, or similar.

Now it seems they can't agree on which day it is.

They are getting on with it, potentially on Monday there will be a clear way forward.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
With all the chaos going on at the moment, I thought it only right to tell you that I have just seen Baker Lite rowing a cast iron bath across the Atlantic.

I think I heard him say...." I'm on my way " before it disappeared into the murky waters.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apparently the combined polling results for May & Corbyn (separately, are they doing a good job?), are the lowest for any PM & opposition leader since first measured.

With the LibDems so off the radar in terms of publicity, (eg who’s their leader????), the next GE is going to be so bizarre.

It is. The referendum was always going to rip our Parliamentary democracy apart. Hence no one called one for 40 odd years.

I call for David Cameron to be suspended from a crane in a David Blaine glass box and we can all through stuff at him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Check YouGov on Twitter.

Their polling the other day had 'other' running at 20%

TBH if 'other' united into one voice their manifesto would have to be really out-there for me not to vote for them, whether I agreed or not. :lol:.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
With all the chaos going on at the moment, I thought it only right to tell you that I have just seen Baker Lite rowing a cast iron bath across the Atlantic.

I think I heard him say...." I'm on my way " before it disappeared into the murky waters.

I just snorted some beer out of my nose then you git. ��

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I would once have thought that would be great and we could have a proper cross party coalition. Now it seems they are only interested in their own interests and not the nations.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

You're probably right about some of them wanting to remain. There's no version of leave they'd ever be happy with anyway.

I've been saying for ages on here that The ERG are just of bunch of clueless, oddball, freakoid, Tory toffs with posh accents who just blubber on about 'WTO terms' 'Our own free trade deals' 'Managed no deal' and all the rest of it without having a clue about what they're actually blubbering on about and people fell for it, hook line and sinker.

No hiding place anymore for them - they've now been exposed for the clueless, oddball, freakoid, Tory Toffs with posh accents that they always were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here