Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The snp leader in the commons was on 5live yesterday afternoon. He mentioned that the privy council have had a briefing of what no deal means in practice for the uk. He said that he cant say what the details are but that briefing had a huge impact on those who heard it and thats why support for any type of deal from brexiteers is so high. In effect none of them want to face the public after a no deal goes through as they will be lynched for proposing it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was the previous NCM in May or in the Government? I think they are distinct?
I think the Tories did one for her (leadership challenge), and Labour did one (vote of no confidence) for the Government. I don't think she can face any more for a while.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think he can do another one can he? Not until a certain time period has passed.
She can't have a Tory party leadership no confidence vote for at least a year after the last one.

Pretty certain Parliamentary no confidence votes don't have such restrictions.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The snp leader in the commons was on 5live yesterday afternoon. He mentioned that the privy council have had a briefing of what no deal means in practice for the uk. He said that he cant say what the details are but that briefing had a huge impact on those who heard it and thats why support for any type of deal from brexiteers is so high. In effect none of them want to face the public after a no deal goes through as they will be lynched for proposing it.

Considering it would mean the rapid collapse of the country, and UK citizen deaths, I'm not surprised !

There would be trials resulting, if ever we got a subsequent enquiry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That is absolutely outrageous! I think IDS remains my least favourite politician of all time. An absolute TWUNT. He's basically a nationally-recognised, posh version of Tim Hodges.

Unfortunately, we are in an alternative truth period now, lies have become so widespread they are no longer a big deal anymore.

And of course it takes a lot more energy to take a lie down than to tell one.

There one doing the round now about the Lisbon treaty, claiming it comes into effect in 2020...

https://fullfact.org/europe/viral-list-about-lisbon-treaty-wrong/

But some people believe this crap...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Righto, so when asking you to link the EU mechanism that permits us whilst being members of the EU, to control EU immigration permanently by implementing onto EU citizens, that wish to come here to live and work, the requirement of obtaining permission to enter before crossing the border (ie a visa) and which permits quotas on certain tier groups to be applied to EU citizens such as we currently can do with non EU citizens. You know, real immigration control, not chasing jobseekers up months after they have crossed the border anyway……you decide to link a directive which doesn’t show this mechanism.

Do you need more time?

We allow citizens of many non EU countries into the UK without a Visa, and some of those for whom we currently do not, have suggested that it would be a requirement of any future trade deals. It is also very unlikely we will have Visa controlled travel with the EU, and you know it, so there is really no validity to arguing for Brexit on the basis that we can Visa control entry of EU citizens. Even the ability is not certain as any deal we yet do may include freedom of movement. If we did a deal without it, and the pound was not a worthless currency, then there would be people coming here to work still, just not legally and paying Tax, as we will not have Visa requirements for EU citizens, I might be incorrect, it may have been JCFG, but I think you called a remainer out on Visas being required for your summer holidays to Spain early in the thread, for being ridiculous.
In the current rules we are signed up to we could place restrictions on numbers on the basis that our services were overstretched, but we would have to show our working out, we can't just do it because the press are depicting Romanians and Poles as thieves and beggars and the numbers sound scary. As we do not register EU workers we could not prove that the numbers were a problem, we could not even use any current system to keep a tally and say we have reached our limit if we did manage to get a restriction. Cameron asked for this restriction, and was asked for the evidence of the problem, apparently the Daily Mail saying it, is not proof enough.

Lets stop losing money on Brexit and spend the cash on a registration system, so we can implement a restriction if EU migration is ever causing a problem, and tackle illegal immigration and overstayers effectively. Put that on the side of a bus.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1110443949775298562[/TWEET]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well that was a masterclass in deviousness if ever I saw one!
Yes I suppose it is "a masterclass in deviousness", in that he is just blatantly lying to an interviewer he knows is so sufficiently ill-informed that he doesn't challenge him. It really really bothers me that this prick is one of the people running the country. His commentary on the success of universal credit are even worse.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Mogg and some of his acolytes are now suggesting that they will vote for the deal to avoid 'no Brexit'.

Could all be a ruse though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is absolutely outrageous! I think IDS remains my least favourite politician of all time. An absolute TWUNT. He's basically a nationally-recognised, posh version of Tim Hodges.
Kicked out as party leader by his own colleagues for being useless yet has hung on as an MP for some reason.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But leavers got off their arses and voted to leave. According to some commentators many remainers didn't both to vote - particularly the younger generations. Yet now you expect leavers to go on some pointless march or sign some pointless petition to counteract those too lazy to have voted originally ?

If you really believe in something and that something is under threat you do what you can - in your own small way - to protect it, i.e. march, sign a petition or try and persuade friends and family to do either.

Leaving is under threat - it might not happen, AND YET there is a Pro-Brexit march going on the size of which could be fitted into the average village car park - why aren't there more marchers?. I know Leavers aren't obliged to do more, but the lack of visibility at this important stage does look like the genuine support for it isn't there, and that will lead to neutrals thinking it was little more than a brief moment in time, a lashing out at the Establishment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Control means applying permissions to enter for those wanting to live and work (visas) and applying quotas on tier groups should you wish to choose to apply them, upwardly or downwardly, to regulate admissions.
"Can you stop a person from the EU arriving for no reason, no".......by your own admission is not control.......there lies the fault

Control is any method of changing the outcome, you are arguing for the ability to use a level of control we don't have now, but that we would not use, like having a thermostat for your central heating that goes up to 35c, you are never going to use that level, getting it is very expensive, using it would be expensive and would make everyone experiencing it uncomfortable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mogg and some of his acolytes are now suggesting that they will vote for the deal to avoid 'no Brexit'.

Mark Francois of the ERG passionately explained why he couldn't ever vote for May's Withdrawal Agreement (for it is not a Deal) - key to that is the £39 billion and the backstop. If the ERG end up voting for May's WA it will be one hell of a U-turn.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anyone else feeling like crashing out might be the best thing come 12th April... Damn sure we'd have a deal in place within a week and suddenly both sides will be happy to negotiate a mutually acceptable deal quite urgently. All that hardlines and non-negotiatables straight out of the window as we scramble for a deal!

It would put us in a terrible position, something would be done quickly, but that would likely be to our detriment, I would not be surprised if the EU already has a couple of options for package deals it has in mind to stick in front of us to sign up to if it happens.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

He seems to be saying it's now May's deal or no Brexit. I've read the summary of his 'Moggcast' on the Conservative home website, but as it's 24 minutes in length and involves him speaking, there's more chance of me rolling around naked in a field full of freshly urinated on stinging nettles than actually subjecting myself to listening to it.

[tweet]1110477916775821312[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here