Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The sad fact is had the 52/48 gone the other way the side that lost also wouldn't have accepted it, and were, even before the result making moves to challenge it.

Some people might not have accepted it (see Farage) but in the main, the vast majority of leave voters would have accepted the result in my opinion (including me).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some people might not have accepted it (see Farage) but in the main, the vast majority of leave voters would have accepted the result in my opinion (including me).
In all honesty, I don't doubt your truthfulness, but I wonder if that is true about leavers generally? Having said that, the way the EU is going, we may not have had to wait long before there was a far bigger majority to leave.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The UK offered Scotland a chance to have its own Parliament - which it took by a large majority - and now they elect MSPs, raise their own taxes, run much of the country themselves, yet when it votes unequivocally to Remain it is told it must Leave because it is the 'Will of the People'. That is f*cked up democracy.

Wasn't really in favour of devolution back in the 90's but now its happened it has to be properly respected. If Brexit goes ahead and its anything more than a soft Brexit (like CU / SM) the Scots will want another referendum and I think the risk of departure is high

One of my biggest reasons I voted Remain was retaining the UK, as 2014 was a close shave. But the Tories pushed on to try and solve their 30 year civil war. and ultimately we got a flawed referendum and a fraudulent one too. Good work...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1103633314261413888[/tweet]
[tweet]1103574105373192194[/tweet]

Great news. How does this compare to the loss of BMW and Honda?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In all honesty, I don't doubt your truthfulness, but I wonder if that is true about leavers generally? Having said that, the way the EU is going, we may not have had to wait long before there was a far bigger majority to leave.

The number of leavers who are very passionate about leaving the EU is probably just a small proportion of the 17.4 million. For instance, UKIP maxed out at 4 million votes at elections and many, possibly most of their voters would probably have accepted the democratic result.

If the result had been a close Remain vote I don't think our politicians would ever have allowed us anywhere near another direct say (bullet dodged). It's only because we voted the wrong way many of them are insisting we should vote again using a referendum process they often ridicule. But If they do get their way and we vote the 'right' way this time, even by a close margin, then rest assured their contempt for referenda (and the public) will guarantee it won't be best of three.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is that the same Mark Carney that said interest rates would have to go up and the housing market would crash if we voted leave ? :facepalm:

Why are you attacking the man who prevented the emergency budget you're now crowing about hot happening? Or is this just yet another Brexiter who wants to have their cake and eat it?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why are you attacking the man who prevented the emergency budget you're now crowing about hot happening? Or is this just yet another Brexiter who wants to have their cake and eat it?

Because Mark Carney didn't prevent an emergency budget ..... it was a lie from Osbourne.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I admire your belief but I don't believe it, not for one second (about the majority not you personally).
A liberal sprinkling of 'some' & 'might' v 'vast majority' does even less to convince me otherwise.

Had it been resounding, either way, I'd be in complete agreement, but were the roles to be reversed I don't see how anything were to have changed.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I admire your belief but I don't believe it, not for one second (about the majority not you personally).
A liberal sprinkling of 'some' & 'might' v 'vast majority' does even less to convince me otherwise.

Had it been resounding, either way, I'd be in complete agreement, but were the roles to be reversed I don't see how anything were to have changed.

We are talking about accepting the result. Yes, many people would still be eurosceptic or have concerns about immigration or want to give politicians a kick but I don't believe anywhere near a majority of leave voters would immediately be clamouring for another vote.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hi JC, a couple of days ago we were talking about what you would have liked to have seen done differently and you replied

1.) Have a government led by someone who campaigned to leave and actually believes leaving the EU is a good idea (A majority in cabinet also)

2.) Have an agreed position on our negotiating aims and goals and stick to it.

3.) Only trigger article 50 when we are ready.

4.) Make serious preparations from day one for a no deal scenario including allocating ££

5.) Don't call a General Election halfway through the process

Not saying we would have achieved everything we wanted or exited smoothly but we could hardly be in a worse position than we are now.

I had a couple more questions, but we've both been waylaid since then.

Thanks for your honest replies on what you would have done differently. You both seem to think that 'better' negotiators would have got the EU to let us 'cherry pick' more of the benefits. (Unsurprisingly, I would disagree and can't see anything further that the EU would have compromised on given a harder stance from Britain, as I can't see that they would have compromised on the principles that they have insisted they stick to all along.)

To [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] - Which leave campaigner do you believe should have led the government and how far should our 'no deal' planning have gone ? Should we have built the lorry parks, set up customs posts in NI and commissioned the IT systems to handle a 'no deal' from the very beginning (because it would obviously need long term investment and planning) regardless of the progress of talks ?

So i was wondering, any thoughts on who should have led the Government and how far no deal planning should have gone ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because Mark Carney didn't prevent an emergency budget ..... it was a lie from Osbourne.

Except he did, and most people who actually understand such things realise that. His prompt actions largely halted the massive slump in the value of the pound which prevented the requirement for an emergency budget based on sterling being devalued.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1103643491673034753[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They could be litigious about someone suggesting they were lying members of the leave campaign. For starters Care to point out where Owen Paterson lied?

Oh I see. So he wasn't lying, he was merely pointing out that Brexiters (himself included) who want to leave the Single Market are, in fact, mad? Right, got you.

In which case I apologise in this public domain for suggesting Owen Paterson was a liar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are talking about accepting the result. Yes, many people would still be eurosceptic or have concerns about immigration or want to give politicians a kick but I don't believe anywhere near a majority of leave voters would immediately be clamouring for another vote.

Fair enough, FWIW (nothing) to me a close result t'other way wouldn't have quietened down Johnson, Gove & Mogg. (as you say Farage would still be Farage)

They would have hounded out Dave, whilst still not being Leadership material.
Leaving us with a lame duck PM, who they'd be sniping at all the time.

Faced with that and every EU directive being portrayed at an assault on good old blighty, I believe we'd still be in pretty much the same position we are now.

All hypothetical, none of it meant as offence just the natural result of an incredibly narrow margin of victory.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
So on the one hand we have the Governor of the Bank of England, the Government's own impact assessments, business leaders and global economists who all say "it's going to be a shitshow". But thank goodness all of these have been balanced exactly by one journalist.

Well the Chilli Con started his suck back yesterday, keep up, three months ago the world was going to end and now He’s seriously back peddling.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well the Chilli Con started his suck back yesterday, keep up, three months ago the world was going to end and now He’s seriously back peddling.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And again, in English ? :shrug:

On our way

Easiest deal in history

Brexit means Brexit

No deal

Undemocratic loons

Tick Tock

22 days to go

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc