Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

I have already posted the inadequacies of this process, having seen tweets from people who have been turned down. One woman was turned down because she 'couldn't' provide evidence of employment in 2015, despite having been the same job for 15 years. It is further back in this thread.

Vote Leave gave unequivocal assurances that any new immigration system would not affect EU citizens already in the country. “There will be no change for EU citizens already lawfully resident in the UK,” it said, promising on its website that such people would “automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and will be treated no less favourably than they are at present”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...or-eu-citizens-in-britain-and-brits-in-europe

Then Theresa May labelled them queue jumpers!

If anything having to prove your employment history weeds out anyone who has been working in this country cash in hand, which is completely unfair on those who have paid in to the system.

On my mum's application they already knew she claims state pension due to her NI number, so that ticked off the employment history part of the application.

In the case of this woman, do we know if things have been sorted out? With so many people applying for settled status there will be honest people who get caught out. Your only going to here about the failures, and not the millions who have already got settled status.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More detail required ..... why couldn't she provide evidence of her employment in 2015 ..... no P60 ? Why not .... you're told to keep them ? HMRC hold records going back further than that so why hasn't she spoken to them .... they've always been very helpful when I've rung them. Why can't her employer provide this evidence ? So was she working on the black market ?

You are talking about civil servants who cannot operate Universal Credit let along a brand new registration system. I wouldn't trust this government and the civil servants to organise a teddy bears picnic let alone a registration. As I said, I had already posted it on this thread a few weeks ago. Look it up.

You conveniently ignored the VoteLeave website that said it wouldn't affect EU citizens who were already resident.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No idea why the process would make them feel like 2nd class citizens.

Strangely I've looked at moving to France and it's the sort of process you have to go through there if you wish to get residency so why's it too much to ask for here ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If anything having to prove your employment history weeds out anyone who has been working in this country cash in hand, which is completely unfair on those who have paid in to the system.

On my mum's application they already knew she claims state pension due to her NI number, so that ticked off the employment history part of the application.

In the case of this woman, do we know if things have been sorted out? With so many people applying for settled status there will be honest people who get caught out. Your only going to here about the failures, and not the millions who have already got settled status.

Millions? There are three million EU citizens who are already resident so it isn't going to be millions who are already sorted out.
Ladies of this generation quite often stayed at home when the children arrived (I did myself for 5 years) so will not have full employment records.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strangely I've looked at moving to France and it's the sort of process you have to go through there if you wish to get residency so why's it too much to ask for here ?

You do now, to apply for a carte de séjour, but you didn't have to whilst we were in the EU, as poor old Nigel Lawson has found out to his cost. He had to withdraw his application.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You are talking about civil servants who cannot operate Universal Credit let along a brand new registration system. I wouldn't trust this government and the civil servants to organise a teddy bears picnic let alone a registration.

I agree with you about civil servants but that doesn't explain how this lady couldn't provide eveidence of her employment.

As I said, I had already posted it on this thread a few weeks ago. Look it up.

I really can't be bothered to search through 1920 pages of tosh just to find some Twitter post that doesn't explain why this lady couldn't prove her employment history.

You conveniently ignored the VoteLeave website that said it wouldn't affect EU citizens who were already resident.

Because it's true ..... EU citizens already here can stay.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You do now, to apply for a carte de séjour, but you didn't have to whilst we were in the EU, as poor old Nigel Lawson has found out to his cost. He had to withdraw his application.

I looked at it over a couple of years ago. If I wished to stay more than three months then I had applications I had to complete. Including registering at my local town hall.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure one of the family she mentions must have a PC or an Android device but if need be yes. Feel free to put her in touch with me.

You cannot apply via a pc or laptop at the moment.

You’ll be able to complete the application form online using any device when the scheme opens fully (for example, an iPhone or laptop).

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

All you are doing is criticising our posts with no knowledge of what is actually involved. No links or 'evidence' of how easy it is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I looked at it over a couple of years ago. If I wished to stay more than three months then I had applications I had to complete. Including registering at my local town hall.

I'm sure Nigel will be so relieved, so explain why he's now put his French villa on the market?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We're discussing people who have been here decades, made lives for themselves, had families here. Not exactly the same as you thinking of moving to France in the future. Imagine you'd done all that 20 years ago, then suddenly had to do it again.

Did you say 'strangely' in that you've voted leave and made moving to France more difficult for yourself?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with you about civil servants but that doesn't explain how this lady couldn't provide eveidence of her employment.

I really can't be bothered to search through 1920 pages of tosh just to find some Twitter post that doesn't explain why this lady couldn't prove her employment history.

Because it's true ..... EU citizens already here can stay.

She had proof of her employment history with the same firm for 15 years but her application was turned down. What part of that is so difficult to understand?

Semantics. Not being affected means something completely different. It doesn't mean having to register.

I think you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does my bloody head in. I don't blame people here, I blame the MSM for whipping people up.
I find it odd. Partly thanks to the mess our government have made of Brexit negotiations, Brexit is currently causing economic uncertainty and is likely to cost jobs - why some then feel the need to attribute unrelated job losses to it, I don't know. It weakens what was a good argument.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

You’ll be able to complete the application form online using any device when the scheme opens fully (for example, an iPhone or laptop).

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

All you are doing is criticising our posts with no knowledge of what is actually involved. No links or 'evidence' of how easy it is.

Nope, fair point about the PC ..... although in 25 days you'll be able to use a PC.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Westdene doesn't want anything bad said against Brexit. You must know that by now?

I'm full of doubt, will Brexit be okay? Is May's deal actually good? Will our economy actually be better for our workers? I'm not 100% on any of it, staying in the EU, another vote, leaving, seems a lot of stuff to take in.

What I don't trust is anyone who is almost bordering on religious devotion to a particular route. No matter what is said, they are steadfast and won't hear anything bad said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[tweet]1102825644323454976[/tweet]
I guess I have no heart then. Why am I supposed to feel heart broken? She's not being kicked out, she's just got to register. Hardly the end of the world. She feels British, but I guess she's never felt British enough to apply for citizenship.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Did you say 'strangely' in that you've voted leave and made moving to France more difficult for yourself?

Indeed. And that's because I believed I was casting my vote for what I thought was best for the UK. None of this selfish remainer stuff of "oh but I'LL be x amount worse off", "it will make it more difficult for ME to fly" etc etc. All very me me me. In fact my parents have a house in France and guess what, they voted leave as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I guess I have no heart then. Why am I supposed to feel heart broken? She's not being kicked out, she's just got to register. Hardly the end of the world. She feels British, but I guess she's never felt British enough to apply for citizenship.

She didn't have to. Other people were welcome in Britain in the 50s and 60s. In fact, Britain sent out a message to the Commonwealth to ask them to send us workers to help rebuild after the war.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
What I don't trust is anyone who is almost bordering on religious devotion to a particular route. No matter what is said, they are steadfast and won't hear anything bad said.

You could equally say that about remainers not allowing any negative about the EU being exposed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Pendants don't have hearts. You cannot be a pendant without a cold emotionless approach. I doubt you even cried at The Champ....

"No! Champ! No! Champ. Is he out? Is he out? What's the matter, Champ? Champ, wake up! Wake up! Wake - wake up!"
[kisses his head]
"Champ, wake up, Champ! Hey, don't sleep now. We got to go home. Got to go home, Champ."
:cry::cry::cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here