Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously I'm not explaining myself well here, because you're calling what I wrote as rubbish, and I'm in complete agreement with your reply.

Crobyn did neither and Rome is burning because the entire Labour Party isn't as vocal as an Etonian argument created by Farage who had his nose put out of joint x years ago by the Conservative central office.

Your post wasn't "rubbish" in it's entirety. I suspect he was responding to this sentence, which is: "The Labour Party isn't an innocent bystander in all this mess, it's almost equally responsible for it."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of course the genesis of this shitestorm has nothing to do with the Labour Party, but the Labour Party have done precious little to stop it.

But what could Corbyn have done? He could have opposed Brexit, which would have alienated a lot of Labour support in the north and caused deep splits in the party. But if he had, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to situation because he doesn't have a majority.

He could have proposed a second referendum which may have stopped his MPs leaving but wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the situation because he doesn't have a majority.

Or he could have supported May's deal, which would have permanently split his party and saved parliamentary time, but would have tied him to Brexit so, if it goes horribly wrong, he'd share the blame (and wouldn't get the praise if it turned out to be a success).

Corbyn has done a lot wrong since becoming leader but I don't think the way he handled Brexit was one of them. I'm not sure what else he could have done

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting that the narrative here has entirely moved on from 'Is Brexit a complete disaster for the UK?', to 'who is to blame for Brexit being a complete disaster for the UK?'.

I read an article yesterday that detailed how in yougov polling, "Is leaving the EU a bad idea?" has returned a Yes answer for the last 18 straight months, with the latest poll returning the highest majority yet (9 points).

We all know 'the people' no longer want to leave, by a bigger majority than they ever voted otherwise. The politicians know it. The media know it. It is all just a ridiculous, hellish charade.

Seriously, what the actual ****?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Those disaster capitalists must be enjoying the fluctutations in the value of the pound that all this is causing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But what could Corbyn have done? He could have opposed Brexit, which would have alienated a lot of Labour support in the north and caused deep splits in the party. But if he had, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to situation because he doesn't have a majority.

He could have proposed a second referendum which may have stopped his MPs leaving but wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the situation because he doesn't have a majority.

Or he could have supported May's deal, which would have permanently split his party and saved parliamentary time, but would have tied him to Brexit so, if it goes horribly wrong, he'd share the blame (and wouldn't get the praise if it turned out to be a success).

Corbyn has done a lot wrong since becoming leader but I don't think the way he handled Brexit was one of them. I'm not sure what else he could have done

So he did nothing.

He 'campaigned' at the 11th hour obviously with one arm behind his back.
He has seemingly sold jobs of his northern heartland in favour of his own power, such as it is.
The Labour Party could have forceably said 'No because of the nature of the majority' instead of waiting till now, when he faces an actual revolt against his power.
If he genuinely wants Brexit for the Labour Party he could have taken a stance that would have made it impossible to be ignored, instead of watching the DUP being paid off.

Does anyone actually believe the country will be in exactly the same situation now, if the Labour Party were a creditable, united opposition party?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But what could Corbyn have done? /QUOTE]

Hmmmmm.....respected the promise in the Party's manifesto at the last GE that the Labour Party would honour the result of the referendum maybe?

He is in danger of "doing a Clegg" by doing a 180 degree on a manifesto promise. And look where that got him and his Party.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If May does indeed rule out No Deal, as some are speculating, today then following the Labour announcement of supporting a referendum yesterday the Independent Group can probably claim they've achieved more in their 10 days of existence than some political parties or groupings have in a century or more. No mean feat.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting that the narrative here has entirely moved on from 'Is Brexit a complete disaster for the UK?', to 'who is to blame for Brexit being a complete disaster for the UK?'.

I read an article yesterday that detailed how in yougov polling, "Is leaving the EU a bad idea?" has returned a Yes answer for the last 18 straight months, with the latest poll returning the highest majority yet (9 points).

We all know 'the people' no longer want to leave, by a bigger majority than they ever voted otherwise. The politicians know it. The media know it. It is all just a ridiculous, hellish charade.

Seriously, what the actual ****?

Which is why the prospect of another referendum so terrifies the Brexiters, and why they're so desperate to avoid one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But what could Corbyn have done? /QUOTE]

Hmmmmm.....respected the promise in the Party's manifesto at the last GE that the Labour Party would honour the result of the referendum maybe?

He is in danger of "doing a Clegg" by doing a 180 degree on a manifesto promise. And look where that got him and his Party.

He has honoured the result of the referendum. He's not once proposed remaining, his proposals have been for leaving but with an improved deal. You could well argue that his 'deal' is as pie-in-the-sky as the Tories but he's not coming out for remain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is why the prospect of another referendum so terrifies the Brexiters, and why they're so desperate to avoid one.

Unless of course if the vote had been 52% stay 48% leave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll keep an eye out for the whole 20 minute feature on LWT, which at the moment 'isn't available in your region' but this is how it ended.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'll keep an eye out for the whole 20 minute feature on LWT, which at the moment 'isn't available in your region' but this is how it ended.

Very good, Brexit is a dream so much material. The Last Leg on Channel 4 has been pretty good of late too....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and we're back to name calling!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like we're NOT .... On Our Way

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Does anyone actually believe the country will be in exactly the same situation now, if the Labour Party were a creditable, united opposition party?

This debate about who is to blame is quite simple

Here are the people responsible

image.jpg

Together with a large number of, at best, naive people who believed that voting to leave would resolve each and every issue that they individually had in their heads at the time.

From the day after the referendum there were only three options

1. Softest of soft Brexits (if we wanted to keep a lot of EU benefits and not create a border in Ireland/NI)
2. 'No deal' (Economic suicide and I said at the time, 2 years would not long enough to implement - never going to happen)
3. Withdraw/Delay Article 50 for a GE or referendum.

Here's a post from over a year and a half ago

I love the arguments on here about the in-fighting in the Tory party, what Jeremy Corbyn would do if he got in etc etc.The situation we are currently in cannot be rescued by Theresa May, Amber Rudd, Jeremy Corbyn, Boris Johnson, Tony Blair coming back from retirement or Maggie Thatcher coming back from beyond.

You may remember Universal Benefits being the Big thing prior to Brexit. As the biggest project the civil service has been running for the last 4 years, they have managed to roll it out to 10% (about 600,000 people) of the required population and it is beset by errors and problems leading to discussion about whether to hold the rollout until these are resolved.

This is the same organisation which is going to rollout all of the changes created by Brexit in the next 18 months (3.5 years for those who believe the implementation period). None of these changes have yet been agreed meaning no work can commence on them. Even a WTO 'no deal' will need to be implemented.

Whatever your political alliances, surely a little common sense will tell you that there are huge issues staring us in the face. The Government (whoever that consists of !) will have to fudge. The timescales which are currently being talked about are ridiculous :facepalm:

And to quote a certain PM 'Nothing has changed'. Where we are now can hardly have come as a surprise to anyone ???

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's pleasing that Brexiteers are now commonly referred to as Brexiters.

Less D'Artagnon, more ordinary.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I even went back and added 'almost'.

Do you honestly think we'd still be in this exact position today, with a creditable, united, opposition party?

May and Corbyn have been dancing around 'mutually assured destruction' since the very beginning.
Of course the genesis of this shitestorm has nothing to do with the Labour Party, but the Labour Party have done precious little to stop it.

The Labour Party could do little in reality to stop it. The traditional Labour voters want one thing, in the main, and the party membership want the opposite, and whatever we may wish it was different, it’s not. Corbyn has had to hold a divided party together, he’s still very popular with the membership, but, disliked and distrusted by a fair few Labour MPs, so he must walk a fine line between the two.
It must also be remembered he has survived two attempts to oust him from the leadership, by the light blue Labour MPs, no mean feat,. To pour equal blame on Labour for this abortion is laughable, and makes me wonder if Corbyn could have followed any course that could have appeased his more rabid critics.

His main task is to keep a divided party together, and form as coherent opposition as possible, and this he has done, to a certain extent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here