Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You can't really be as daft as this sentence makes you look surely ?

If goods aren't being checked at the point of entry how does anyone know what's in them?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If goods aren't being checked at the point of entry how does anyone know what's in them?

The statement of course meant checks for tarriff purposes ( the cargo list will be provided ahead of the journey ). They're not going to scrap security controls are they !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is a strange story, it seems only to have been reported by The Sun and yet, if true, would be a major policy change. The Sun seems to think it's official advice but surely, if it were, it would be headline news everywhere.

It is being reported elsewhere. The Road Haulage Association are berating it as well. On Sky News last night it was mentioned in such a brief and matter of fact way though - it's just not the headline news it once would have been. Deckchairs on The Titanic spring to mind.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]1092337330218827777[/tweet]

We're at 40,000 ft and we our parachutes are full of holes.

Doesn't matter we just need to get out the door quickly, before the aircraft descends safely to the ground

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have consigned British trade to the dustbin of history.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Leave voters have destroyed their own children’s future.

There will be serious consequences even if Brexit is cancelled, £60B loss to the economy, investment has dried up and capital outflow increases by the day. Who will ultimately carry the can, will 40% rate payers still get their £860 p.a tax cut in April?

The rest of Europe looks on and knows they will catch a cold because of our ignorance, but we will be the ones that get the flu

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I did read that there is a customs waiver of some sort planned for UK businesses that apply and are approved, these companies will be allowed to import without customs checks, they will self declare and will have up to 30 days after import to square up on tariffs, this would last for up to 1 year after exit in a no deal situation. The EU will not reciprocate and will require documentation and payment at the border, though there will be some measures to alleviate blockages.
No idea how many businesses will be approved, approval of one company in a sector and refusal of another in the same sector could destroy the company without the same cash flow and time advantage. Could lead to dispute with EU and WTO members, depending on the application of the permissions.
Can't recall where I saw it but it was recent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The problem is that quite a few people of the public do believe them. I keep seeing people blaming the EU for everything and they'll be glad to leave.
I just wonder who they will blame in five years time?

Whoever Putin tells them to blame this time.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I believe that the suggestion is a completely open border to the EU (and therefor, under WTO rules, the rest of the world) with no tariffs or checks being taken at the ports.

Can't see any problems with that.

I'll just file it alongside

Give NI back to Ireland (although they've never actually had it) ©Westdene Seagull
Give Ireland back to Britain (at least that's historically accurate)
Technological Solutions
Have a bit of open border with the EU (NI/Ireland), but not the rest (building on the success of the Maginot line)
Pixies and Goblins

The sum total of over 2.5 years work on this and it is the same fantasies coming around again and again :facepalm:

But they are talking about collecting tariffs for EU imports? But it will all be on trust, right?

If we don't collect tariffs from EU, its 0% from the whole world, no checks....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All the other treaties come under those two treaties, they are the two primary treaties.
Ok.
It does cover all existing treaties and any new ones that would give the EU any further transfer of sovereignty or reduce our power of veto, it is what I said it is.
It isn't. Transfer of sovereignty or reduced power of veto don't exactly cover everything in the EU do they. They wouldn't stop us joining the Euro, for example.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems that the government has announced that by registering for 'Transitional Simplified Procedures' you do not need to give a full declaration until after the goods have crossed the border or pay any duty until the month after import.

It seems that the Government intend this only for EU traders. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hm-revenue-and-customs-simplifies-importing-from-the-eu-as-part-of-no-deal-preparation

I wondered if the WTO may have a view on this

Trade without discrimination
Most-favoured-nation (MFN): treating other people equally Under the WTO agreements, countries cannot normally discriminate between their trading partners. Grant someone a special favour and you have to do the same for all other WTO members.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

I'm sure all the implications have been thought through over a long period of time though before the announcement ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The EU will not reciprocate and will require documentation and payment at the border

I struggle to believe this bit - are you seriously telling me this is how tariffs work in this day and age ? So if I import a lorry load of goods from somewhere that's worth say £250k and the tariff is 10% then my lorry driver has got to be able to pay £25k at the EU border ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have guaranteed a significant increase in immigrants entering the UK.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It seems that the government has announced that by registering for 'Transitional Simplified Procedures' you do not need to give a full declaration until after the goods have crossed the border or pay any duty until the month after import.

It seems that the Government intend this only for EU traders. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hm-revenue-and-customs-simplifies-importing-from-the-eu-as-part-of-no-deal-preparation

I wondered if the WTO may have a view on this

Trade without discrimination
Most-favoured-nation (MFN): treating other people equally Under the WTO agreements, countries cannot normally discriminate between their trading partners. Grant someone a special favour and you have to do the same for all other WTO members.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm

I'm sure all the implications have been thought through over a long period of time though before the announcement ???

How is the approval of the tariff schedules going? Any update from Liam Fox?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Leave voters have trashed decades of peace work in NI and reignited old animosity. People will die as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here