Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The government sent out a 'factual' propaganda document before the referendum anyway.

Yes much like the now illegal campaign run by Vote Leave?

Regardless of that, we are now in a much better position to understand what lies ahead and the impact. This is what should be presented.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
2. What happens if any second referendum goes the other way, especially by a similar margin ? As a leave voter I'd feel very betrayed ( and yes I'd vote leave again ). IMHO a second referedum could make the country even more split.

But you'd only feel betrayed because the decision changed as people could make a better informed decision?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It is true though. Many people that voted Leave don't really know why or understand what the impact is / was at all. Yes I expect some who voted Leave did research and have some understanding, but many did not. This is why Leavers are scared of a second vote now everyone has more detailed research into the impact of leaving the EU, and/or with/without a deal.

Many of the people I know that voted leave also use Facebook as Google for questions like 'Does anyone know what date the kids go back to school after Christmas?'

Yet we expect these same people KNEW what they were voting for in the Brexit vote.
And many remainers voted that way for the same reason. They didn’t understand the ramifications either way and just voted for the status quo or because of project fear ( I use this phrase to keep this simple ).

Not all leavers are frightened of a second vote.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You have two challenges with those questions :

1. Who defines what is factual ? A lot of what was said on both sides was 'if you do x then y will happen' - all guess work presented as facts.

2. What happens if any second referendum goes the other way, especially by a similar margin ? As a leave voter I'd feel very betrayed ( and yes I'd vote leave again ). IMHO a second referedum could make the country even more split.

I understand your concerns on a further referendum Westdene. Imagine though being a leave voter and voting for and having an MP who wants a second referendum. You'd have to.........oh sorry.

Don't worry though Westdene - there's plenty of decent MP's in Sussex such as Amber Rudd and Stephen Lloyd of The Liberal Democrats who'll vote for the Withdrawal Agreement so you and other leave voters can have the exact Brexit you all voted for and who respect and understand the importance of The Good Friday Agreement too, just like Dr Peter Kyle does.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
By the same token you can’t possibly know what the EU will look like in the future yet to decided to remain in it

But if we remain in the EU we will have influence, often involving a veto, over what it will look like in the future. If we leave we will have virtually no influence over anything and certainly not over the policies of the countries we will be desperately attempting to sign trade deals with.

Example? Politician Linda Sanchez has said that if the UK wants to fix a trade deal with the US it will have to accept American animal welfare standards. If you want to protest write and tell her you won't vote for her in future. You can reach her c/o the Democratic Party, House of Representatives, Washington.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It is true though. Many people that voted Leave don't really know why or understand what the impact is / was at all. Yes I expect some who voted Leave did research and have some understanding, but many did not. This is why Leavers are scared of a second vote now everyone has more detailed research into the impact of leaving the EU, and/or with/without a deal.

Many of the people I know that voted leave also use Facebook as Google for questions like 'Does anyone know what date the kids go back to school after Christmas?'

Yet we expect these same people KNEW what they were voting for in the Brexit vote.

Gold, absolute Gold.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Anyone who complains about the current brexit deal and says “not what I voted for” should support the people’s vote. It gives them a chance to express this.

Both sides said nonsense but one was based on projections and one on illegal lies. I think Jacob Reece mogg was right all those years ago when he proposed two votes, one to decide whether to start process and one to check on whether people like the outcome.

Dorset Seagull

But if we remain in the EU we will have influence, often involving a veto, over what it will look like in the future. If we leave we will have virtually no influence over anything and certainly not over the policies of the countries we will be desperately attempting to sign trade deals with.

Example? Politician Linda Sanchez has said that if the UK wants to fix a trade deal with the US it will have to accept American animal welfare standards. If you want to protest write and tell her you won't vote for her in future. You can reach her c/o the Democratic Party, House of Representatives, Washington.

Being in the club hasn’t stopped us from having to accept things in the past we didn’t necessarily agree with. In some respects we are the nation that always wants it our own way and for the rest of the EU to do what we want. If this is the case then why are we in the club in the first place. Perhaps we should go all in and accept the euro etc etc. That would seem to make much more sense if we believe in the project.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Both sides said nonsense but one was based on projections and one on illegal lies. I think Jacob Reece mogg was right all those years ago when he proposed two votes, one to decide whether to start process and one to check on whether people like the outcome.

Apparently that isn't what he MEANT so you can't use that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only thing worse than the on-coming *no deal* catastrophe, is if it coupled with the Kremlin pushed *Project Blame The EU*.

Millions of job losses, food shortages, riots - if that is all blamed on the EU, then it only leads to Putin's end game.

Divide and Conquer.

A NATO which Putin's Puppet has pulled the US out of, full of countries we *hate*.
We'd be following the US out of that door.

The route to disaster is mapped out. We need a Black Swan badly.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I see the Nissan letter from the government is out. I wonder what bosses of Ford, Honda and others are doing right now.

Dorset Seagull

The only thing worse than the on-coming *no deal* catastrophe, is if it coupled with the Kremlin pushed *Project Blame The EU*.

Millions of job losses, food shortages, riots - if that is all blamed on the EU, then it only leads to Putin's end game.

Divide and Conquer.

A NATO which Putin's Puppet has pulled the US out of, full of countries we *hate*.
We'd be following the US out of that door.

The route to disaster is mapped out. We need a Black Swan badly.
Have to agree that the debacle of Brexit pales into insignificance compared to what those higher up the food chain might be undertaking

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see the Nissan letter from the government is out. I wonder what bosses of Ford, Honda and others are doing right now.

This government is a ****ing shambles, paying off companies and political parties to get their way whilst making false promises. Sickening.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I wonder what Agriculture, Electronics, Clothing (in fact every industry except Car Manufacturing) is making of it ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not in between developments, no, not really. If the same argument comes out that remaining was as much a stab in the dark as leaving, then it gets the same response to show that it wasn't.:shrug:
You're only seeing things from your point of view. He didn't say it was as much a stab in the dark as leaving, he just said that you also didn't know what the EU would look like when you voted remain. Sure you had a better idea of what remaining would look like, certainly in the short/medium term, but he's not wrong that you also didn't know what remaining would look like, particularly in the long term.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you have a link to the letter? Just searched and all I get is stories from the government saying the letter is " too sensitive " to be revealed.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here