Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The UK side says other solutions can be found the EU chief negotiator says other solutions can be found but no one on NSC believes them ... sheesh, tough crowd!

JRM used to believe in magic borders so much that a backstop arrangement wouldn't be needed, but if there is a backstop arrangement, the technology suddenly becomes a lot less real.
It seems only people that have an agenda have any belief in it, and only when it suits, if you are the EU trying to stop UK MP's worrying about the backstop, it would be best to talk up the possibility, if you are a No Deal Brexiteer, you have simultaneously believe that we can do it in a no deal situation, but that with the withdrawal agreement, it can't be done and we would be in the backstop forever.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Alright, fair enough. Yes, there will be this kind of fudge solution to an open-closed border, but it will never satisfy anyone - too much will come in that we don't want, too much will get out that they don't want - we will argue it forever. But OK, assuming that this unicorny tech-solution happens, I go back to the rest of my post with slight edit:

So if we hard Brexit we will leave the border open, and the EU will leave the border open, and a 'technological solution' will be forced in place, and we'll argue forever about it, and because of that we won't get any benefits of the Withdrawal agreement, and they won't get their £39m

And if we leave with the Withdrawal agreement, we'll leave the border open, and they will leave the border open, for the short backstop period, during which time a 'technological solution' will be put in place, but that won't make anyone happy and we'll argue forever about it

With that in mind, it would seem completely foolish for our MP's to prevent the Withdrawal agreement on the basis of the backstop, because whether we have a backstop or don't have a backstop or don't have a deal, the actual result in terms of the border will be identical. No?

And therefore the ultimate question I suppose, will Brexit debates will go on FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE ?

If we have the withdrawal agreement, the whole UK will be in the Customs union and single market effectively for nearly 2 years unless we get a deal sorted quicker (won't happen). The backstop is what happens if we have not sorted a trade deal which might include a solution to the border.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It is important to remember, if we take the no deal Brexit route it will be BRITAIN not Ireland that will have to erect a hard border in Ireland. It will be a prerequisite of WTO

So it will be US that breaches the GFA

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The government and the EU have already agreed to a deal in numerous areas there are some parts of this that the HoC cannot accept. The HoC has signalled what needs to change (backstop) to get the deal done they are not as far as I am aware asking for benefits of being in the EU outside the EU.

Complete misreading of the situation. All there has been a small majority for is re-negotiate the backstop. As for the future relationship with EU, there is little agreement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
We clearly won’t.

You’re going to be terribly distressed.

Expect an announcement on the delay in the coming weeks.

I think I’ll hold My nerve for now,if We don’t it would have been the biggest betrayal in history, I suppose I could always say I lived through the overthrowing of Parliament

On our way.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There are 12 sitting days in February thanks to the recess.

pulse_1250279c.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I’ll hold My nerve for now,if We don’t it would have been the biggest betrayal in history, I suppose I could always say I lived through the overthrowing of Parliament

On our way.

The over throwing of our sovereign democracy, to win back our sovereignty. Brilliant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is important to remember, if we take the no deal Brexit route it will be BRITAIN not Ireland that will have to erect a hard border in Ireland.

But Mexico will pay for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

On our way.
You have to be a spoof account? No one else could post such poor drivel on a consistent basis.

#goingtostay

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think I’ll hold My nerve for now,if We don’t it would have been the biggest betrayal in history, I suppose I could always say I lived through the overthrowing of Parliament.

I think we’re leaving, just not in March, you’re going to have to be patient (and then probably livid when they decide to have a Norway+ set-up).

When will you storm the Parliament then?

April 1st?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
If you bothered to put any thought into this before your rush to post it, you may (just may) have realised that we aren't in Italy and we aren't in the Eurozone :facepalm:

Who said I was in Italy idiot. The reason I posted this is to highlight that although we are constantly being told that we are heading for oblivion all in the eu isn't hunky dory is it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here