Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[tweet]1045754764527636480[/tweet]

Whilst I will agree some of those things are due to the EU there's quite a few statements on that list that are, well putting it politely, stretching the truth. I'm not going to go for a line by line evaluation BUT one does pop out - the UK had equal pay legislation in 1970 ( BEFORE we joined ) while the EEC introduced it in 1975.

I'd also be interested in what monopolys the EU has broken up.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
You're the one using the Euro zone as an example of out performing. We aren't in the Euro, as we had a veto and chose not to. So much for Brussels/Merkel telling us what to do.

Which reading that report shows we were right not to sign up to it doesn't it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which reading that report shows we were right not to sign up to it doesn't it.

I agree but we had the choice. You can be in the EU and have sovereignty. You can be in the EU and still have control.

In the meantime.
Project reality.

The NHS in England is preparing to stockpile medicines and blood products in case of a "no deal" Brexit, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44946819

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
It's worse than that for some parts of the UK. People really do not understand the implications of no deal or no trade.

I'm sure that the vast majority of people on both sides of the argument no the implications of 'no deal and no trade' which are, in fact, two different things.

If we do drop out of the EU with no deal we will immediately revert to WTO rules and tariffs which means, as 18 out of 27 EU countries export more goods to the UK than we export to them, that those tariffs will hit those countries exports harder than the UK's to them - although tariff rates vary sector by sector so, to be fair, a slightly deeper analysis is required.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whilst I will agree some of those things are due to the EU there's quite a few statements on that list that are, well putting it politely, stretching the truth. I'm not going to go for a line by line evaluation BUT one does pop out - the UK had equal pay legislation in 1970 ( BEFORE we joined ) while the EEC introduced it in 1975.

I'd also be interested in what monopolys the EU has broken up.

I think the point is that the Equal Pay Act was introduced because we were negotiating to enter the EEC (as it then was). We had to abide by the EEC's equal pay legislation in order to join so Europe was the indirect instigator.

As for monopolies: the EU has been much more aggressive against the likes of Microsoft and Google than the US anti-trust bodies have been.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the point is that the Equal Pay Act was introduced because we were negotiating to enter the EEC (as it then was). We had to abide by the EEC's equal pay legislation in order to join so Europe was the indirect instigator.

As for monopolies: the EU has been much more aggressive against the likes of Microsoft and Google than the US anti-trust bodies have been.

I was just going to post the same. There have been a number of high profile EU monopoly cases, very recently Google’s large fine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure that the vast majority of people on both sides of the argument no the implications of 'no deal and no trade' which are, in fact, two different things.

If we do drop out of the EU with no deal we will immediately revert to WTO rules and tariffs which means, as 18 out of 27 EU countries export more goods to the UK than we export to them, that those tariffs will hit those countries exports harder than the UK's to them - although tariff rates vary sector by sector so, to be fair, a slightly deeper analysis is required.

We have Free Trade Agreements with some countries because we are in the EU. WTO rules do not automatically apply.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It was, just the same as going decimal in 1971. It was all preparation to join the Common Market.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

As you obviously no(sic) the implications of 'no deal' what do you think we should do about the countries who have already raised issues with the WTO schedules we submitted a month ago ?

And where, how and who will collect and implement these tariffs and rules that we immediately revert to ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are hurtling towards *no deal* now, not sure Parliament will have the guts to stop it. Absolute disaster to be blunt.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We are hurtling towards *no deal* now, not sure Parliament will have the guts to stop it. Absolute disaster to be blunt.

Absolute disaster agreed. However any Political party that allowed a 'no deal' would be committing political suicide, possibly for generations, so I don't see Parliament letting it happen.

Lincoln Imp made an interesting post about a referendum

I cannot possibly see the Conservatives agreeing to a referendum. If Remain wins a referendum the government will be split and the party destroyed. If they lose a GE then at least it will be Labour's problem. Someone else can pick up the wreckage, and perhaps create plenty more of its own. For the conservative party, as has been the case since at least 2015, the national interest is not exactly its priority.

The Tory Party is, however, traditionally good at surviving. My own guess is that it, and the EU, will agree a blurred fudge to get themselves over the line in March without either. Hope I'm wrong.

Although I can see his point, I think a vote (referendum or GE) is still a possibility.

However, about a month ago, someone I know suggested that preparations may be made for an extension of membership and a fudge, pushing the decisions which are currently f***ing us, even further back.

I have to say, if I were a betting man, Lincoln Imp's suggestion looks favourite.

Vanillafudge.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here