Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

larus

Oh dear. What’s happened so Eurozone growth? 0.3% in the last quarter, after 0.4% in Q1. On a downward spiral I see.

No doubt this is the fault of Brexit too. :lol:

*** From the business page of the Telegraph ***

The eurozone economy continued to splutter in the second quarter of the year as growth slowed to its lowest level in two years.

GDP growth missed economists' expectations to sink to 0.3pc in the three months to June as trade war worries begin to weigh on the global economy.

Analysts had hoped that a sharp deceleration in growth from 0.7pc to 0.4pc in the first quarter of 2018 had largely been impacted by temporary factors, such as the cold snap that blasted Northern Europe in March.

ING economist Bert Colij said the "excuses are running out" for the slowdown in the eurozone.

He blamed confidence in the currency bloc being knocked by the trade spat for dragging down growth.

"With lower confidence among businesses and consumers, concerns have likely translated into somewhat weaker domestic demand growth."

The détente in trade relations between the EU and US last week could begin to lift confidence in the coming months if the ceasefire holds.

Markets shrugged off signs of stuttering growth in Europe after being lifted by a report claiming that US and Chinese officials were looking to restart talks to avert a full-blown trade war. The FTSE 100 rallied 0.6pc while the DAX in Germany and CAC 40 in France recovered from an early slump to inch up 0.1pc and 0.4pc, respectively.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
13-mile lorry park may last 'many years' after Brexit, impact reports reveal

I've been on about Kent for ages on this thread because an old mate of mine works for The FTA in Tunbridge Wells and knows it all full well and told me the calamity/change that everyone in Kent knew exactly would happen when they voted leave etc and it has actually been top of the agenda for Dover Borough Council/Kent County Council/Kent Police etc in fairness for a while, but nobody in Westminster really gave a flying one or cares. Never mind - Blue Passports at Dover though - literally cant wait. :thumbsup:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I've been on about Kent for ages on this thread because an old mate of mine works for The FTA in Tunbridge Wells and knows it all full well and told me the calamity/change that everyone in Kent knew exactly would happen when they voted leave etc and it has actually been top of the agenda for Dover Borough Council/Kent County Council/Kent Police etc in fairness, but nobody in Westminster really gave a flying one. Never mind - Blue Passports at Dover though - literally cant wait. :thumbsup:

Blue passports :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Blue skies :thumbsup:

Yep. Shame about the Open Skies - but as Brexiteers have consistently stated coming out of that agreement wont pose any problems, despite the remoaning expert view of the aviation industry itself, and everything will continue as before because we're British - They need us more than we need them etc.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yep. Shame about the Open Skies - but as Brexiteers have consistently stated coming out of that agreement wont pose any problems, despite the remoaning expert view of the aviation industry itself, and everything will continue as before because we're British - They need us more than we need them etc.

Local news tonight, CEO of Flybe, they are selling seats for next year without knowing what the situation will be, they have to sell seats or they will go bust, unless common sense prevails, those flights, as it stands, may not take off.
And this is from an airline whereas only 1/3 flights go to Europe.
Other airlines book further in advance with most flights going to Europe.
This is not project fear its business not having a clue what is going to happen, so cannot predict their future.
On the same day failing Greyling totally contradicts Hunt the **** on the no deal.
One says not a chance the other says it's a real possibility.
Flipping Eck.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Mustafa may eat you for breakfast you condescending end of the litter.

There’s nothing condescending about that post. It’s an honest opinion. I see no issue with a revote. In fact, I’d argue it’s democratically necessary. And see his post above yours... he most certainly didn’t eat me alive.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
One thing that bothers me more than anything else is this idea that anti-Brexit people are somehow responsible for this complete shambles. There is absolutely no reason why any of us remainers shouldn't continue our democratic right to object to it any more than Brexiteers like Farage shouldn't have continued his own fight as he promised had it been 52-48 the other way. [MENTION=19800]lawros left foot[/MENTION] lists a bunch of Brexiteers who had a stake in how Brexit should happen, but have now cowardly backed away from it. I do think it's time these people were held to account by people on their own side i.e. Brexit voters. Stop blaming people like me for this utter clusterfck. Instead, what we've seen is a lack of willing on the part of brexit politicians to resolve the major issues, and the constant fall back of blaming the EU and "remoaners" whenever they don't get their way.

Firstly, the Irish border. A very complicated situation, and in all honesty the only way I can see that working is for NI to remain in the EU. But instead of Brexiteers recognising this obvious fact, all we've heard from them is that it's all the fault of the Irish government or the EU holding us to ransom. It clearly isn't. They haven't changed the status quo - we have. And with this in mind this issue should have been sounded out/thought about well before the 2016 referendum was held.

Secondly, access to the common market. We have spent 40 years building an economy whereby components of high tech products (and services) go back and forth over EU national borders without attracting tariffs. Car plants (for example) in this country simply won't function cost effectively unless we resolve this problem. To elaborate, a car is built in modular steps - headlights constructed in Belgium and shipped here, perhaps with light bubs built in France. Glass windows churned out in Poland and shipped here, that sort of thing. We still have no clue what they are going to do - it is a desperate situation.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think a second referendum of some sort is likely to happen. We've had gutless leadership from pro-remain Theresa May and even worse from Brexit people like Boris Johnson. I wouldn't trust him to run a bath - let's not forget his shameful antics over the Heathrow vote. He thinks of nothing but his own career. And I'm also tired of other Brexiteers who go running to the right wing pro-Brexit press every time one of their ill considered lunatic ideas is rebuffed by either the remain leaning Tories or the EU. How about you twats come up with a plan that actually works FFS.

An excellent, excellent post.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There is no "one" option - it is not set in stone. This government's negotiations are temporary. What's important, and what's a once in a lifetime opportunity, is very simply leaving the EU. These negotiations have been a disaster, everyone can agree with that, but that is down to having an inept and shambolic government carrying them out... but there will be better governments in the future.

If we rejected this opportunity to leave the EU, we would never get another chance in our lifetimes. Britain has voted for leaving in the EU. If we aren't happy with the way it has been negotiated, we should be voting for a new local government, a general election, not to revert to staying.

They’ve been inept because the very concept of leaving the EU is so vast and with so many connotations that not every single Brexiteer was ever going to be happy. Soft Brexit? For some, but not others. Hard Brexit, the same. A Brexit with free movement of people... oh right, this became an issue of racism/immigration for many. And therein lies the issue - whoever was negotiating for this was stuck between a rock and a hard place. And they absolutely weren’t helped by the flat out lies told by the Leave campaign in the referendum which have made their negotiations basically impossible without absolutely ruining our economy.

What I think you have hit on is the biggest issue in all of this - our own political system and Government. They’re the issue. They are what needs revamping to give people confidence again. Because I tell you what, I don’t remember the last time we had a “better” Government. Certainly not in my adult lifetime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here