Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
i attended a meetinf which Tim Loughton spoke at.He is the Adur MP. He told us a storyabout a colleague who attended a meeting in Brussels. He flew there by Easyjet and the total cost was about £100. He put in his claim and he received £1000. When he queried this he was told that the £1000 waas correct fot the distance that he had travelled. The whole thing is corrupt.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He doesn't want to be seen slagging off Tories too much, as they are the ones he wants to lead, whereas Gove genuinely doesn't want to lead.

No matter what the EU referendum result is, and I believe we will leave, Cameron is history.

There will be a new PM by Xmas, and I'm pretty certain it will be Boris.

But I could be wrong.

TB

Ok, i agree its plausible. I think the vote is remain though. If the disillusioned left are willing to vote for Borris then maybe

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think so. See; just an opinion and has as much weight as yours saying he has. He'll be very popular with the grass roots now of the party, and, if this is an exit vote he'll be a hero to them.

Also, the chances of an Exit vote seem to be increasing based on the polls. As a Brexit supporter, I thought the weight of biased 'reports' from IMF, etc., would sway the public, but it appears the stubbornness of the British psyche may be subconsciously sticking 2 fingers up to to them.

I met a mate last night for a meal and couple of beers. Eventually, the subject got raised and he said that he'd changed from a Remainer to Brexit during the campaign. I told him he's come over from the dark side :). This appears to be getting reflected in the polls, but I think Brexit will need to be several points clear prior to polling, as the status quo always causes the waverers to stick with what they know.

Ok, agree there are plausible scenarios the BJ can do it.

It will be remain though

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good stuff from chief Quitter Nigel Farage today. Be careful of the immigrants or they will rape you. This from the leader of the side who claim to campaigning on a ticket of hope. Some hope.

and here is where I agree with you. Complete ignorance from Farage. Perhaps you should listen to Kate Hoey and others in Labour Leave for a more balanced view on why we should leave the EU. It is a pity they have not been more prominent in this campaign.

larus

Ok, agree there are plausible scenarios the BJ can do it.

It will be remain though

Again; you're stating your opinion/wish as facts. The polls are moving against remain gradually. The government can't use Westminster now for it's propaganda. The constant deluge of lies about the economic impact of exit have failed, as people just laugh at it.

However, Joe Public sees the impact of immigration in terms of housing, schools, doctors surgeries, the NHS, etc. Every bad experience someone has with an immigrant will sway people. I feel as though the remain campaign are running scared now; they went for the big assault (with lies from IMF, BoE, Treasury, CBI, etc), and it's failed.

I am not confident of an Exit vote, but I think it will be damned close.

However, the EU is doomed, as the EURO cannot survive. Greece is still an issue. Greece; a tiny economy and they can't even sort that. Wait until the Italian GDP/Debt hits the fan. Goodbye EURO and goodbye the EU.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Again; you're stating your opinion/wish as facts. The polls are moving against remain gradually. The government can't use Westminster now for it's propaganda. The constant deluge of lies about the economic impact of exit have failed, as people just laugh at it.

However, Joe Public sees the impact of immigration in terms of housing, schools, doctors surgeries, the NHS, etc. Every bad experience someone has with an immigrant will sway people. I feel as though the remain campaign are running scared now; they went for the big assault (with lies from IMF, BoE, Treasury, CBI, etc), and it's failed.

I am not confident of an Exit vote, but I think it will be damned close.

However, the EU is doomed, as the EURO cannot survive. Greece is still an issue. Greece; a tiny economy and they can't even sort that. Wait until the Italian GDP/Debt hits the fan. Goodbye EURO and goodbye the EU.

of course i am stating an opinion. Its a chat site! And when i say it will be a remain result everyone knows i dont have a crystal ball, that its an opnion....but I called the general election and I am as confident on this one.

There is no way the euro is gonig in our lifetime, nor the EU. It will have a different shape of course, which may excldie Greece and others, but then maybe not.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
and here is where I agree with you. Complete ignorance from Farage. Perhaps you should listen to Kate Hoey and others in Labour Leave for a more balanced view on why we should leave the EU. It is a pity they have not been more prominent in this campaign.

That's all very well, but as has been debated on this thread there are some 10,000 foreign prisoners in UK jails, costing the taxpayer hundreds of millions a year, so there is no doubt that by having a relaxed immigration policy UK citizens have been exposed to criminality.

In these days where corporate manslaughter penalties exists to punish bosses who are reckless about there employees safety, it is a shame that such a policy does not exist for politicians and high ranking civil servants.

If it did, I dare say we would have a much more effective approach to keeping immigrants (with convictions for rape and murder) out of this country.

Farage may be a buffoon but the issue is not an irrelevance to the debate about the "benefits" of migration from either a safety perspective or cost to the taxpayer.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
i attended a meetinf which Tim Loughton spoke at.He is the Adur MP. He told us a storyabout a colleague who attended a meeting in Brussels. He flew there by Easyjet and the total cost was about £100. He put in his claim and he received £1000. When he queried this he was told that the £1000 waas correct fot the distance that he had travelled. The whole thing is corrupt.

More corrupt than Westminster? How many of our MPs fiddled their expenses? Many of them are still at it. Cash for questions. Knighthoods for political donations? They are ALL at it! It's totally depressing, but EU politicians do not have a monopoly on corruption.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
A quick practical question for the Vote Leave proponents:

Assuming there's a Brexit vote, and assuming Scotland then votes for independence, and remains in the EU (highly likely, I think), how will our borders be controlled? Vote Leave has already said they will not introduce border controls between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - so I assume there won't be any controls between England and Scotland. If that's the case, I can't see how there can be any control over who comes into this country. But maybe I'm missing something....

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's all very well, but as has been debated on this thread there are some 10,000 foreign prisoners in UK jails, costing the taxpayer hundreds of millions a year, so there is no doubt that by having a relaxed immigration policy UK citizens have been exposed to criminality.

In these days where corporate manslaughter penalties exists to punish bosses who are reckless about there employees safety, it is a shame that such a policy does not exist for politicians and high ranking civil servants.

If it did, I dare say we would have a much more effective approach to keeping immigrants (with convictions for rape and murder) out of this country.

Farage may be a buffoon but the issue is not an irrelevance to the debate about the "benefits" of migration from either a safety perspective or cost to the taxpayer.

I don't disagree with your points about foreign criminals but it is a criminal justice issue and needs to be handled in a way that does not tar everyone from a similar group with the same brush. In the same way that all Brexiters are not racists, all foreigners are not criminals. Mr Farage does not do enough to protect innocent law abiding people who happen to come from the same country/have the same religion as criminals from false accusation. It is not the fault of these people that we are part of a regional bloc that does not allow us to enforce borders effectively and thereby protect us from undocumented foreign criminals. Mr Farage's choice of language doesn't help as it allows Remainers to characterise border enforcement as racism.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I am voting to leave nothing more,nothing less.
I am not voting for or against individuals or considering the next leader of the tories or labour
If you are weighing these options into your decision you have completely and utterly missed the whole point of the referendum.
I cant tell which morons gave your post the thumbs up but they should feel stupid also thinking this referendum is somehow of any relevant importance concerning internal party politics.

There are only two options for a good reason.Leave party politics out of it and stick to the issues.Its a deflective losers argument.

Surely we HAVE to weigh up the consequences of our vote. Not to do so would be madness. Some of the things I'm concerned about post-Brexit (if that's the outcome) are:

- The break-up of the UK (Scotland - and possibly Northern Ireland) voting to leave the UK;
- Re-igniting sectarianism in Northern Ireland;
- The gradual break-up of the EU, leading to massive political instability in Europe, capitalised upon by an expansionist Russia;
- England & Wales governed by a far right amalgam of Farage, Gove and Johnson;

Of course none of these things may happen, but they're all more likely is we Vote Leave.

larus

of course i am stating an opinion. Its a chat site! And when i say it will be a remain result everyone knows i dont have a crystal ball, that its an opnion....but I called the general election and I am as confident on this one.

There is no way the euro is gonig in our lifetime, nor the EU. It will have a different shape of course, which may excldie Greece and others, but then maybe not.

There is no way the EURO will survive. Italian GDP is still 8% below its 2008 pre-crisis level. It needs to inflate its economy but can't because of the Growth and Sability Pact. It's GDP/debt ratio is abut 130% and increasing. It's econom is still contracting and it's banks have huge levels of bad debts. A recent poll there had 48% wanting to leave the EU. Europ is in no way ready to survive the next economic downturn, which a lot of people think is close. The western world is screwed, as we've relied upon the mortgaging the future to buy growth now. Look at interest rates in the western economies - bloody insane. Where's the return for people to risk their money lending? The BRICS enconomies aren't looking as good as was being forecast. China has serious issues and Brazel in contracting. So, when the next downturn comes, it will hit Europe hard, as it's uncompetitive.

Just because you made a call on the general election doesn't make you Nostradamus. I can't predict what's going to happen, but all I can say is the polls appear to be moving in the favour of Brexit.

It's going to be a long few weeks. However, if "I" lose this time round, I think I will get my desired result sometime over the next few years. Return of democracy to our country.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
England & Wales governed by a far right amalgam of Farage, Gove and Johnson;

Of course none of these things may happen, but they're all more likely is we Vote Leave.

• Scotland has no right to another referendum any time soon and even if they did get one, the conditions for Scottish oil are much worse than the last referendum. Scotland would almost certainly vote No again.
  • Northern Ireland has a majority who wish to remain within the UK including amongst Catholics.
  • There's no indication at all that there will be any increase in sectarianism in Northern Ireland. It's yet another Project Fear scare story.
  • Farage will not be governing the UK.
  • Neither Gove nor Johnson are hard right.
  • If either Gove or Johnson becomes Tory leader then there is an increased likelihood that Labour might just win the next election. More or less any other candidate ensures a Tory government until at least 2025.
  • Political instability within the EU is going to happen regardless of this referendum. The Greeks are close to defaulting again and the Italian, Spanish, Portugese economies are a complete mess and the French economy is a huge cause for concern.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
  • Scotland has no right to another referendum any time soon and even if they did get one, the conditions for Scottish oil are much worse than the last referendum. Scotland would almost certainly vote No again.
  • Northern Ireland has a majority who wish to remain within the UK including amongst Catholics.
  • There's no indication at all that there will be any increase in sectarianism in Northern Ireland. It's yet another Project Fear scare story.
  • If either Gove or Johnson becomes Tory leader then there is an increased likelihood that Labour might just win the next election. More or less any other candidate ensures a Tory government until at least 2025.
  • Political instability within the EU is going to happen regardless of this referendum. The Greeks are close to defaulting again and the Italian, Spanish, Portugese economies are a complete mess and the French economy is a huge cause for concern.

Thanks, Buzzer - you're obviously considering those things (which is good!). My comment was aimed at those who might not be. I'm obviously more worried about the consequences of a Brexit than you are. We're clearly on different sides of the debate....but let's hope the debate stays healthy!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks, Buzzer - you're obviously considering those things (which is good!). My comment was aimed at those who might not be. I'm obviously more worried about the consequences of a Brexit than you are. We're clearly on different sides of the debate....but let's hope the debate stays healthy!

Hear, hear!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There is no way the EURO will survive. Italian GDP is still 8% below its 2008 pre-crisis level. It needs to inflate its economy but can't because of the Growth and Sability Pact. It's GDP/debt ratio is abut 130% and increasing. It's econom is still contracting and it's banks have huge levels of bad debts. A recent poll there had 48% wanting to leave the EU. Europ is in no way ready to survive the next economic downturn, which a lot of people think is close. The western world is screwed, as we've relied upon the mortgaging the future to buy growth now. Look at interest rates in the western economies - bloody insane. Where's the return for people to risk their money lending? The BRICS enconomies aren't looking as good as was being forecast. China has serious issues and Brazel in contracting. So, when the next downturn comes, it will hit Europe hard, as it's uncompetitive.

Just because you made a call on the general election doesn't make you Nostradamus. I can't predict what's going to happen, but all I can say is the polls appear to be moving in the favour of Brexit.

It's going to be a long few weeks. However, if "I" lose this time round, I think I will get my desired result sometime over the next few years. Return of democracy to our country.

:facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think a lot of people are worried about us leaving/staying in the EU. Although I've wanted out since I was a youth, I still can see some benefits in the EU. It is very narrow minded to only see one side. I really want to leave, but I desperately don't want to make things worse for me, my family, my fellow countrymen or indeed for the citizens of Europe, a continent which I love.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
BJ has blown his chance of being elected PM

Why when the comparison he made was perfectly correct. Hitler tried it by force but failed miserably whereas the EU are trying it underhandedly and in a far cleverer.way. up until now they have the masses fooled and are well on top, it's a question whether or not the masses will wake up in time to put an end to this f*cking nightmare..,

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Edit

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
'Cameron can't be trusted' PM blasted as SECRET £2bn EU bill REVEALED
BRITAIN is facing a £2billion bill from the EU which has been kept hidden until after the referendum, it has been revealed.
A report for the European Parliament has noted that there is already a backlog of almost £20 billion in unpaid bills which member states will have to pick up.

This means an extra £2 billion from the UK and there are fears that Britain will also be hauled into bailing out countries in the eurozone with both Greece and Italy understood to be on the brink of crisis.
And they have written a letter to Mr Cameron laying out their concerns over what will happen to the UK if voters decide to back Remain.

They point out how Mr Cameron had vowed not to pay an extra £1.7 billion demanded by Brussels in 2014 and then ended up paying the bill in full minus the British rebate.

Also they argued that britain will be forced to contribute to the European Financial Stabilisation Mechanism to pay bridging finance to Greece which was set up in 2015, despite promises it would be excluded.

Speaking ahead of the rally today, the former London Mayor, Mr Johnson said: "The risks of remain are massive.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/677056/Cameron-PM-blasted-SECRET-2bn-EU-bill-REVEALED

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here