Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But of course it's on a sliding scale. (The obvious approach is to finally decide when as much information as possible is in before it's too late to do anything about it.)

:facepalm: It is amusing watching someone so set against referendums pinning all his hopes on one :lolol:

The long-standing, tried and tested Uk democratic approach is to honour/respect and enact the democratic choice of the Uk electorate as expressed in a referendum and/or a general election. The option to democratically change course will be available at the next General Election ... where (according to your argument) a much more informed choice can be made.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just on the point of Churchill and whether he'd have voted Leave or Remain, just going to pop this here...

http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/astonish.html

Well, I liked his point about Germany being split down to it's constituent duchies and principalities which would then join the Great Britain lead United States of Europe as separate entities, not as a unified Germany. Suspect that 70 years on, the Great Man might well have disapproved of the way things had turned out!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
:facepalm: It is amusing watching someone so set against referendums pinning all his hopes on one :lolol:

The long-standing, tried and tested Uk democratic approach is to honour/respect and enact the democratic choice of the Uk electorate as expressed in a referendum and/or a general election. The option to democratically change course will be available at the next General Election ... where (according to your argument) a much more informed choice can be made.

It's not half as funny as watching someone offering free tickets but only if you turn up after the aeroplane has gone. Whilst simultaneously claiming that anyone making a more genuine suggestion is the snake oil salesman. As someone said, there's something of the theological about fixated Brexiteers.

Jan 30, 2008

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's easy to selectively quote Churchill ..

“We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed.”

"Where do we stand? We are not members of the European Defence Community, nor do we intend to be merged in a Federal European system. We feel we have a special relation to both. This can be expressed by prepositions, by the preposition "with" but not "of"—we are with them, but not of them. We have our own Commonwealth and Empire."

“If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

... doesn't prove anything though.

Speaking of ex Tory Prime Ministers, I see call me Dave is starting to distance himself from Project Fear.

Brexit's turned out 'less badly than first thought'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42806207

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My bug bear with the EU was and is that if Britain remained we would be a net contributor to the benefit of a Far Right, anti immigrant Polish Government. I'd rather have battled that from within than run away and have no voice.
Whatever his name is wants us to continue to contribute towards his Far Right wonderland Via the EU in return for access. A paradox for the UK anti immigrants.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm not the one who said it. Direct your anger at Jeremy Hunt. And he ought to know, what with being the Health Secretary.

And if you can't handle the truth that Brexit means leaving the European Medicines Agency and the impact that will have on drugs available on the NHS for all illnesses, perhaps you should have thought about that earlier rather than shooting the messenger? And I haven't even mentioned the impact leaving Euratom has on transporting radioactive material for chemotherapy has (clue - it stops it and we can't have it anymore).

You posted it on here.Where is the link to the drugs we can no longer get?As we store nuclear waste for EU countries, I'm sure they don't want it back and will continue to supply us with any isotopes we don't already make.You know nothing about nuclear research,or how we deal with it in this country,so shut up you failure.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My bug bear with the EU was and is that if Britain remained we would be a net contributor to the benefit of a Far Right, anti immigrant Polish Government. I'd rather have battled that from within than run away and have no voice.
Whatever his name is wants us to continue to contribute towards his Far Right wonderland Via the EU in return for access. A paradox for the UK anti immigrants.

Not to forget the Far Right anti immigrant governments in Hungary,and the Czech Republic,also with the begging bowl out.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
More lies.

We are still forecast to be the 6th biggest economy in 2018/19 (source www.fosus-economics.com).
4% inflation - really, I must have missed that. There’s poor me thinking that it had just fallen from 3.1% to 3%. But you remainers don’t seem to have problems with lies, or maybe just not intelligent enough to understand them eh!

10%-15% poorer than before. More complete and utter ‘toys out of the pram’ pathetic lies. Really, based on what? This huge recession (which has not happened). At least put up sensible posts, but yours wouldn’t even qualify as ‘fake news’ they are so ludicrous.

House prices have flat-lined. Well, that’s bloody great news, or are you so ty=hick that you think asset bubbles are great for the economy and that they help the poorer/younger in society.

Interest rates are exactly the same level as at the time of the referendum. More BS from you.

Lag our European neighbours; ah yes. That booming economy which is still running QE to BOOST IT’S ECONOMY.

So, you now want to blame the productivity gap in the UK economy on Brexit too eh! Christ, it’s been iodscussed for f*cking years, but no, it’s now the fault of Brexit.

I could go on more, but you really haven’t said anything which stands up to scrutiny. 0/10.

You live in the land of the one eyed, where what you believe must be right, or in the land of the challenged. :rock:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You posted it on here.Where is the link to the drugs we can no longer get?As we store nuclear waste for EU countries, I'm sure they don't want it back and will continue to supply us with any isotopes we don't already make.You know nothing about nuclear research,or how we deal with it in this country,so shut up you failure.

There is no problem at the moment, we are still in, I would hope that all drugs currently available will still be available. The issue will be new drugs and treatments, if we are not using EU regulations, we will be asking drug manufacturers to trial their new drugs again just for Britain, they will do this after they have satisfied the Eu and US markets. At the moment this happens to Canada and Switzerland, who on average have a 6 month delay in new treatments coming to market and often at higher cost, due to the additional trials to come to that market.
The Nuclear issue is around accepting the ECJ as the court to which disputes can be taken, if we do that we break a red line of JCFG, who we all know is the main authority on what Brexit must deliver.

Your'e backing Britain, backing us into a corner.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
There is no problem at the moment, we are still in, I would hope that all drugs currently available will still be available. The issue will be new drugs and treatments, if we are not using EU regulations, we will be asking drug manufacturers to trial their new drugs again just for Britain, they will do this after they have satisfied the Eu and US markets. At the moment this happens to Canada and Switzerland, who on average have a 6 month delay in new treatments coming to market and often at higher cost, due to the additional trials to come to that market.
The Nuclear issue is around accepting the ECJ as the court to which disputes can be taken, if we do that we break a red line of JCFG, who we all know is the main authority on what Brexit must deliver.

Your'e backing Britain, backing us into a corner.

Hardly.Most people have woken to reality now,as opposed to the extremist views the ever-decreasing number of remainers cling to.Even the arch-idiot Cameron admits he and the Treasury were wrong.

cam.jpg

It's a bit late to see the light Dave,but Boris might find you a job when he's PM.:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hardly.Most people have woken to reality now,as opposed to the extremist views the ever-decreasing number of remainers cling to.Even the arch-idiot Cameron admits he and the Treasury were wrong.
It's a bit late to see the light Dave,but Boris might find you a job when he's PM.:lolol:
And strangely, I feel certain that the highly commercial and very competitive drug companies will somehow find a way to sell their products to the NHS!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And strangely, I feel certain that the highly commercial and very competitive drug companies will somehow find a way to sell their products to the NHS!

Of course they will, but at higher prices, or by Britain doing a deal where we keep the same standards, as would make sense. Except for the ideological Brexit barrier of not being subject to EU law or contributing to the EU budget.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

View attachment 93446

37th floor. So far so good.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course they will, but at higher prices, or by Britain doing a deal where we keep the same standards, as would make sense. Except for the ideological Brexit barrier of not being subject to EU law or contributing to the EU budget.

there is no practical reason why we could not unilaterally adopt standards without being subject to EU law. yes, we wouldnt be able to influence, but thats another issue, one that might be quid pro quo for UK involvement in trials.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This statement shows you really and truly do not have any idea how this works do you? Pharma is like no other industry in the world and for very good reasons. Do you think a travelling salesperson rocks up to the NHS and peddles his new drugs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Once the patent clock is ticking a later approval most likely will lead to higher prices. The UK will be a 2nd tier application behind the EU and the FDA so approvals will come later.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you think a travelling salesperson rocks up to the NHS and peddles his new drugs?

I have an informed view on that... yeah, they do. not allowed to market directly to consumers but they batter GPs, pharmacies and healthcare trusts with sales pitches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have an informed view on that... yeah, they do. not allowed to market directly to consumers but they batter GPs, pharmacies and healthcare trusts with sales pitches.

Please re-read the posts. The context was drug licensing. GPs, pharmacies and health care trusts have nothing to do with this process. You appear to be talking about post-approval.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here