Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't see NATO doing anything though. That's a transatlantic alliance and this is a European problem. Couldn't some EU countries donate 6 months of a deployment or something, give it a typically EU acronym, European Union Shared Naval Security Service - EUNSS - and manage the situation? Not a standing army but some way of actually dealing with the consequences of having no internal borders.

Not sure if your being serious but NATO has already done something.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_128746.htm

Personally I think it would be better if Germany provided the bulk of sailors to pick the bodies out of the sea or soldiers to restrain refugees as it was the German leader who exacerbated the problem but expects the rest of Europe to help pay and do the dirty work.

Plans for a European Army are a vanity project for the EU superstate and undermine NATO which is the only credible organisation that can guarantee our security.

Jan 30, 2008
"we" how have you specifically welcomed them
regards
DR[/QUOTE
Apparently us indigenous Brits are supposedly unhealthy lazy useless idiots and if it wasn't for all of the immigrants this nation along with its health service would fall to its knees. ..

Let them have their wonderful EU just so they can apologize to their kids for taking away any future rights to vote, they will learn when it is all too late. blame the silly mugs for their ignorance and ill judgement... just a terrible shame that they have to bring us sensible folk down with them.

Mate iv'e past arguing with the idiots. they reap what they sow. do not say they haven't been warned..
they're not bothered because it probably doesn't register in their mind set that the country is slipping away from them, but as I said this is leafy Sussex with its head in the sand
regards
DR

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Variety is a good thing. So why are we taking millions for the EU and hardly any from the rest of the world? The EU doesn't promote immigration, it skews it.

The EU is just one big immigration club. Personally I'd prefer a doctor from India or programmer from Brazil rather than the influx of unskilled labour from Eastern Europe. Don't you agree a points-based system without prejudice for country of origin is a better system?

Not particularly. We take non EU doctors and programmers already. Plenty of the latter where i work. I am fine with the ability to work freely in the EU and to let others work here. Just as i am ok with someone from Norfolk working in London

Jan 30, 2008
Not particularly. We take non EU doctors and programmers already. Plenty of the latter where i work. I am fine with the ability to work freely in the EU and to let others work here. Just as i am ok with someone from Norfolk working in London
yeah the doctors who cant speak english clearly
regards
DR

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Variety is a good thing. So why are we taking millions for the EU and hardly any from the rest of the world? The EU doesn't promote immigration, it skews it.

The EU is just one big immigration club. Personally I'd prefer a doctor from India or programmer from Brazil rather than the influx of unskilled labour from Eastern Europe. Don't you agree a points-based system without prejudice for country of origin is a better system?

Just in case I've got this wrong, are you saying that we take loads of immigrants from the EU and very few from the rest of the world?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Just in case I've got this wrong, are you saying that we take loads of immigrants from the EU and very few from the rest of the world?

No. I'm saying immigration from the EU is prejudicially unbounded, whereas from the rest of the world it is much stricter.

If you believe so strongly in the benefits of immigration, why should this be the case?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
they're not bothered because it probably doesn't register in their mind set that the country is slipping away from them, but as I said this is leafy Sussex with its head in the sand
regards
DR
I'm on a mission to really understand the Brexit immigrant position. Are you saying that Sussex people, overall, are less concerned about free movement because there are comparatively few immigrants here?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Then he needs to make that clear when quoting statistics.

Yes youth. does it make any difference, or is this acceptable to you as it only concerns the youth.

The euro has brought much of this on, up until the euro Spain and other countries like Spain who rely on tourism were all doing reasonably fine under their own respected currencies, the euro came along and finished all of that off creating havoc in it's path.. thank fu*k we never joined it and listened to the likes of Paddy Ashdown and the rest of them, who by the way were the very same people today who are telling us to remain in. so much for credibility..
When will people learn and what more pain does the EU have to afflict upon us before people finally come to their senses. never in your case...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes youth. does it make any difference, or is this acceptable to you as it only concerns the youth.

The euro has brought much of this on, up until the euro Spain and other countries like Spain who rely on tourism were all doing reasonably fine under their own respected currencies, the euro came along and finished all of that off creating havoc in it's path.. thank fu*k we never joined it and listened to the likes of Paddy Ashdown and the rest of them, who by the way were the very same people today who are telling us to remain in. so much for credibility..
When will people learn and what more pain does the EU have to afflict upon us before people finally come to their senses. never in your case...

Of course it makes a difference, surely even you can see that. Saying a country has a 56% unemployment rate is completely different to saying that they have a 56% youth unemployment rate. It's misleading, something that you have complained that the various campaign leaders have been doing!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

You are a unashamed free market Tory, so your commitment to a European wide free labour market is about as surprising as a shit that stinks.

The fact that hundreds of thousands of EU citizens arrive here to work is not a zero sum game, there are implications in the countries they are coming from........Bulgaria as an example is being hollowed out with a shrinking population forecast to almost have since the early 90s.

http://www.balkaneu.com/rate-emigration-bulgarians-increases/

This is not a sign of success for the EU, it's a sign of failure..........with no end in sight either.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You are a unashamed free market Tory, so your commitment to a European wide free labour market is about as surprising as a shit that stinks.

The fact that hundreds of thousands of EU citizens arrive here to work is not a zero sum game, there are implications in the countries they are coming from........Bulgaria as an example is being hollowed out with a shrinking population forecast to almost have since the early 90s.

http://www.balkaneu.com/rate-emigration-bulgarians-increases/

This is not a sign of success for the EU, it's a sign of failure..........with no end in sight either.

I am unashamedly free market yes, and that is wholly consistent with the belief that a european free market adds value to its citizens. Lots to do to make it better, its not democratic enough yet, its not free market enough yet with thing like services not opened up, and of course like any economy that grows there are winners as well as losers as old industries are competed away. It is also too statist. But we are better off in it than out. I dont see myself as a Tory.

Bulgaria and others are far better off in Europe with their gdp on a fast track catching up us and others. At some point they will be as wealthy as we are and we should all celebrate that. It means we will all be better off. I dont see it as a zero sum game, the pie grows.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Mission accomplished.

But it's been pointed out on here and elsewhere that concern about immigration tends to be higher in areas, such as Cumbria or UKIP-voting Clacton, which have lower than average numbers of immigrants. London boroughs such as Hackney with highish immigrant numbers are among the most Europhile in the land. Sussex, with relatively few immigrants, tends towards Eurosceptism. On balance, people with the least personal experience of immigrants tend to be the ones who complain most about them. Read into this what you will.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I am unashamedly free market yes, and that is wholly consistent with the belief that a european free market adds value to its citizens. Lots to do to make it better, its not democratic enough yet, its not free market enough yet with thing like services not opened up, and of course like any economy that grows there are winners as well as losers as old industries are competed away. It is also too statist. But we are better off in it than out. I dont see myself as a Tory.

Bulgaria and others are far better off in Europe with their gdp on a fast track catching up us and others. At some point they will be as wealthy as we are and we should all celebrate that. It means we will all be better off. I dont see it as a zero sum game, the pie grows.

This is absolutely priceless, you are unashamedly for a full and free European wide labour market, that needs to be opened up further (that sounds like TTIP to me) but don't consider yourself a Tory?

I hate to break this to you..........but if you had any sense of solidarity with the traditional working class in this country you would not support an institution that imposes a policy that grinds their economic interests into dust on the alter of "competition".

As it has done in Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy in order to protect the recklessness of banks and other financial institutions.

As it did in Cyprus when it raided the banking system.

Now we see France running headlong to tear up their long vaunted worker protections, encouraged by the EU, so much for protecting workers interests!

As for Bulgaria it's an economic basket case, it's barely recovered from the 2008 economic crisis, it is exposed to massive energy problems due to the EU's sanctions with Russia and would be f@cked if it wasn't reviving money from the British taxpayer via the EU.

If it was doing well they would not have a shrinking population........that is not progress.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No. I'm saying immigration from the EU is prejudicially unbounded, whereas from the rest of the world it is much stricter.

If you believe so strongly in the benefits of immigration, why should this be the case?

I agree with you that, if all other things were equal, it would be good if the only immigrants who wanted to come here were the ones who had the skills we most needed at any given time. On balance though, I believe that the merits of being part of the EU and with it an area that allows free movement of labour outweighs any current downside. I know you disagree.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree with you that, if all other things were equal, it would be good if the only immigrants who wanted to come here were the ones who had the skills we most needed at any given time. On balance though, I believe that the merits of being part of the EU and with it an area that allows free movement of labour outweighs any current downside. I know you disagree.

At what point in terms of numbers or otherwise do you think there should perhaps be some effort to restrict unrestricted migration to the UK, as I am sure there are probably a billion with a worthwhile story ???

Of course you cannot answer, as you suddenly become another Nigel Farage ..... just further upstream .......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here