Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand we will never be the industrial power house like we where years ago, but I think companies should look closer to home wherever possible.

If the UK produces good products people will. I think the UK does produce some great stuff but you do need to produce a lot more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From my experience the majority shy away from hard collar and at any given cost . take on board snobbish attitudes, the usual ones.... "i deserve better but shouldn't have to put in the graft for it" "that job is to degrading for someone as bright as me" "i am better than you because i went to university"

The lads who've made it through and actually done something with their lives appear not to have come through the system, in fact many have come from nothing. left school at the age of 16, got a job and never looked back since. they may have not have been as academically bright but most definitely made up for it in other ways such as plain common sense and the drive to actually make something of themselves.
Being academically minded and having a IQ of 145 doesn't automatically qualify you success, it about a lot more than that. and this snobbish attitude that they have come to adopt isn't helpful to them either.

Now if you don't mind i want to celebrate England bashing the Jocks and England leaving the EU.:clap2::clap2::clap2::banana::banana::banana::drink::D

snobbish attitude? What about an inverse snobbish attitude?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Although the worries around Guardian readers possibly having to pay more for their latte's and cappuccino's .. served by Tracy instead of Taťána is obviouisly newsworthy and economically significant there is some encouraging economic data around.

Factory output and exports both grew at their strongest in years as the fall in sterling boosted manufacturers.

Production between November and January was at its most impressive since 2010, according to the Office for National Statistics. The trade deficit narrowed after an 8.7 per cent increase in exports over the same three-month period — the best performance in more than a decade..... Ruth Gregory, at Capital Economics, said: “The pound’s slide should feed through to a further pick-up in the quarters ahead . . . Not only do today’s figures add to the evidence that economic growth has maintained a decent pace at the start of the year but they also suggest that growth is starting to become better balanced.”

Kallum Pickering, at Berenberg, said: “The stage is set for the UK’s export-oriented laggard sector to finally make a positive contribution to growth.”

The gap between what the country imports and exports fell to £8.6 billion in the final quarter of 2016, to give the economy another boost in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union (EU).

Exports of goods to non-EU countries leapt by 17.3 per cent to £43.8bn between third and fourth quarter in 2016.

There was also an increase of 3.5 per cent for exports to the EU, to £38.3 billion for the same period, showed data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Experts said the figures helped show Britain's economy is now 'firing on several cylinders' as the weaker pound helps to lift trade in UK's favour.

Overall, goods exports volumes jumped by 7.1 per cent from -4.9 per cent in the third quarter of the year, while goods import volumes fell from 3.8 per cent to -0.4 per cent.At the same time, industrial production increased by 1.1 per cent in the month to December, driven by a 2.1 per cent jump in manufacturing output, seperate ONS figures revealed today.
Construction output also increased by a bumper 1.8 per cent in the final month of last year.

Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight, said: "A hat-trick of good news for the UK economy – that point to the economy firing on several cylinders at the end of 2016, and not just reliant on services and consumer spending.

He added: "A key hope for the UK economy going forward is that the substantial overall weakening of the pound since the UK voted to leave the European Union in June’s referendum will increasingly feed through to boost foreign demand for UK goods and services."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...as-factories-profit-from-weak-pound-2rnmv069d

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...iness+(Daily+Express+::+City+&+Business+Feed)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Are the leavers jumping for joy that all the coffee stores sandwich shops and hotels are about to disappear?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/11/eu-hospitality-workers-brexit-pret-a-manger-hotels-restaurants

That says it all.Economics graduate working as a barista-what a complete and utter waste of time and money that was!I remember some utter dingbat boasting that the baristas in Brighton are the highest qualified anywhere.Celebrating that waste of time,money,and resources is insane.I'm sure the middle classes won't die out if Pret shuts down completely-plenty of other eateries about that probably treat their staff better.Anyway,most of the customer base have said they're moving to the EU-good riddance!:wave::lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have a snobbish attitude end of.

And you seem to have an inverted snobbish attitude? I've met and worked with snobbish people from all walks. You can be so general.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That says it all.Economics graduate working as a barista-what a complete and utter waste of time and money that was!I

I'd argue your attitude is anti-intellectual. Why can't you learn merely for learnings sake? Why can't you learn merely for self-improvement? Why does there always have to be a monetorised outcome/end game?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That says it all.Economics graduate working as a barista-what a complete and utter waste of time and money that was!I remember some utter dingbat boasting that the baristas in Brighton are the highest qualified anywhere.Celebrating that waste of time,money,and resources is insane.I'm sure the middle classes won't die out if Pret shuts down completely-plenty of other eateries about that probably treat their staff better.Anyway,most of the customer base have said they're moving to the EU-good riddance!:wave::lolol:

Hold on. Are you suggesting Pret customers are moving out to the mainland? And I thought you lot accused us of project fear? I'll be campaigning to send the buggers back.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Should i say both school and university.
Our kids have no chance with this rubbish installed in to their mindset at such an early age.
Would you care to apologize to me for branding me a sexist. ?

No

Separate paragraphs making the comments mutually exclusive and you were just looking to cover yourself having been pulled up on your comments.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Speaking as one who doesn't patronise any of those 'posh' (and over-priced) High Street coffee shops, I couldn't care less if they all closed down overnight and stopped cluttering up the pavements with poxy steel tables and chairs. I would feel sorry for the underpaid staff made redundant - hopefully there'll be a better paid job in manufacturing awaiting them once the advantage to exports of the low pound kick in.
Failing that, there's plenty of jobs in the care sector.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Should i say both school and university.
Our kids have no chance with this rubbish installed in to their mindset at such an early age.
Would you care to apologize to me for branding me a sexist. ?

Your lack of understanding of basic English has just been highlighted by your inability to read what has actuallt been written.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
And you seem to have an inverted snobbish attitude? I've met and worked with snobbish people from all walks. You can be so general.

I am not jealous or envious of them if that is what you are implying. ? just fed up with this "my opinion is more valid than yours" nonsense.
I'm not in any way shape or form a snob..i can proudly say i don't look down my nose at anyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not jealous or envious of them if that is what you are implying. ? just fed up with this "my opinion is more valid than yours" nonsense.
I'm not in any way shape or form a snob..i can proudly say i don't look down my nose at anyone.

Fair enough. But the "my opinion" thing you mention is demonstrated by all walks of life...you need not look any further than this thread for examples. I'm guilty myself. It isn't the preserve of graduates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here