Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Actually the vast majority don't want a hard Brexit that is undemocratically being foisted onto us. It's the angry vociferous minority who do. You couldn't make it up really...

Those who voted out wanted fully out, which would come under the title hard brexit. You wanted to stay in so don't assume you know what those who voted out wanted.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
To me it is straightforward.

We are leaving the EU. It has to happen.

But.. The terms of the exit are another matter. These need proper debate. Many who voted to stay and leave wanted single market access and the retention of some EU laws ongoing.

There should be no 'hard BREXIT'. I don't believe that is the will of the majority.

If we remain in the single market, which means we surrender the ability to control our labour market, make our own laws and enter into our own trade agreements then we have not left, as you know.

I don't believe that is what Leave voters voted for, this is not change.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good to hear from someone with incredible blind faith in his/her ability to know what the vast majority want. Have you been an MP for long?

The research also reveals the general public’s Brexit preferences. Nearly four in ten people (39%) want to see a ‘Hard’ Brexit. Unsurprisingly this Brexit scenario was popular with Leave voters, 74% of whom said that this would be their preferred option (compared to 9% of Remain voters).

Brexit priorities-01.jpg

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/01/16/public-split-what-kind-brexit-they-think-governmen/

Obviously I don't know, but I go on what data I have.

What data do you have to suggest otherwise?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If we remain in the single market, which means we surrender the ability to control our labour market, make our own laws and enter into our own trade agreements then we have not left, as you know.

I don't believe that is what Leave voters voted for, this is not change.

Really?? I think it was 50% Immigration, 20% anti elite, 20% any reason they can think of, one voted due to the HS2 for ffs, 10% to leave the single market (both Farage and the official leave campaign were promising not leaving it).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
As I explained yesterday, maybe one poll with more than 1663 people, less than 0.004% of voters. And it was based on more remainders ban leavers (see my previous response to you if you need more info).

But this is all we have as far as I am aware?

I can't just make data up!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Really?? I think it was 50% Immigration, 20% anti elite, 20% any reason they can think of, one voted due to the HS2 for ffs, 10% to leave the single market (both Farage and the official leave campaign were promising not leaving it).

You can think what you want, however Brexit does not mean more of the same.

It is telling that it is the remainers that are now passionate advocates of soft Brexit, and we know full well why, remaining in the single market comes with all the attributes of membership, or virtual membership as someone described it on TV the other day.

We all (leavers and remainers) know the score.........twisting opinion polls etc. is just disengenous.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
They didn't predict this good news either . In fact the complete opposite .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38755242
Awaits the usual suspects but you only read the headlines blah blah blah. They must really hate it.

There's a pattern here. isn't there? Leaver comes up with report showing that we are doing better than many predicted and gloats that Remainers must be really really cross about the good news.

Actually, I am relieved that the economy didn't tank in 2016. I am a fair bit better off than I thought I would be. The value of my assets is holding up. I'm not planning to cash in though because there are plenty of reports suggesting hard times to come. To take just one items from today's news... whilst the growth in UK car production is due to investment decisions made long before the Brexit vote the decline in motor industry investment has become most pronounced since that vote. Even the BBC report linked above as an example of good news contains darker stuff about the future.

Mentioning such things will be described as traitorous negativity by those who demand that anything that doesn't have the rictus smile of applied sunshine about it should be ignored.

Fact is, I'm not clever enough to know what the economic future holds. I doubt anyone else on this board is either.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Actually the vast majority don't want a hard Brexit that is undemocratically being foisted onto us. It's the angry vociferous minority who do. You couldn't make it up really...

Oh Dear! - I think you'll find that it's our EU partners that are looking for a hard Bexit - give the Brits a punishment beating - that'll set an example to any other non-believers... "You vant to Escape? Never! Ve vill shoot to kill ...you need to remember those foolish East Germans who thought there was a better life! ....Huh... and what did they achieve?.. Huh!.. What did they die for? Huh! ......Stupid, Stupid!"

As for me I'm an old softy. Duvet soft! All I want is to move the goal posts back - and place them in the same location as in 1975 when I voted to join the excellent Common Market idea of co operating with trading. I'm still in the same seat. I haven't moved anywhere.

It's very, very simple really, partners - you just have to recognise the uniqueness of the UK, be sensible, make some adjustments to our relationship with you - and then we can all carry on being the best of friends as if nothing had happened in the last 40 years and everyone will live happily everafter.

Ah! ..this duvet is soft, soft and cosy ..... I just may stay here all day.

Jan 30, 2008
Brexit or no Brexit you will need migrant labour to do season agricutural work, there are areas of the country where you can't gert local people to do it. Not everyone wants to work in polytunnels for 60 hours a week for 6 months a year, its good money but you have to work hard

Its the same situation is most parts of the developed world. I was in Taiwan recently, they use imported Phillipino labour
NO ONE'S DENYING THAT , THEY JUST GET A WORK PERMIT , WHAT 'S THE PROBLEM WITH THAT ????
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Oh Dear! - I think you'll find that it's our EU partners that are looking for a hard Bexit - give the Brits a punishment beating - that'll set an example to any other non-believers... "You vant to Escape? Never! Ve vill shoot to kill ...you need to remember those foolish East Germans who thought there was a better life! ....Huh... and what did they achieve?.. Huh!.. What did they die for? Huh! ......Stupid, Stupid!"

As for me I'm an old softy. Duvet soft! All I want is to move the goal posts back - and place them in the same location as in 1975 when I voted to join the excellent Common Market idea of co operating with trading. I'm still in the same seat. I haven't moved anywhere.

It's very, very simple really, partners - you just have to recognise the uniqueness of the UK, be sensible, make some adjustments to our relationship with you - and then we can all carry on being the best of friends as if nothing had happened in the last 40 years and everyone will live happily everafter.

Ah! ..this duvet is soft, soft and cosy ..... I just may stay here all day.
............. day dreaming
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
There's a pattern here. isn't there? Leaver comes up with report showing that we are doing better than many predicted and gloats that Remainers must be really really cross about the good news.

Actually, I am relieved that the economy didn't tank in 2016. I am a fair bit better off than I thought I would be. The value of my assets is holding up. I'm not planning to cash in though because there are plenty of reports suggesting hard times to come. To take just one items from today's news... whilst the growth in UK car production is due to investment decisions made long before the Brexit vote the decline in motor industry investment has become most pronounced since that vote. Even the BBC report linked above as an example of good news contains darker stuff about the future.

Mentioning such things will be described as traitorous negativity by those who demand that anything that doesn't have the rictus smile of applied sunshine about it should be ignored.

Fact is, I'm not clever enough to know what the economic future holds. I doubt anyone else on this board is either.
SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT LEAVING THE EU :shrug:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here