Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
I cant stress how good this makes me feel....first Brexit then Trump, and now the ities giving it the thumbs down to the EU.

When will the EU finally learn that people are fed up of being dictated to by a bunch of self serving unelected Muppet's.

Peace and harmony throughout Europe all under the banner of the EU :facepalm:.
good to see you posting mate, been a while hope all's well:thumbsup:
regards
DR

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Didn't the Government say immediately after the referendum that provided the EU guarantee the residency rights of British people in the EU then EU nationals over here will get the same rights ? This isn't using them as bargaining chips as there is nothing to bargain i.e. It is not linked to any other part of the negotiation. Maybe Mr Rifkind would be better advised asking the EU why they have not as yet given the necessary undertaking ?

I'm not commentating either way on Hugo Rifkind's article, it's easier just not to an express an opinion on this thread anymore, I was merely relaying it on here in full as it had been quoted.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not commentating either way on Hugo Rifkind's article, it's easier just not to an express an opinion on this thread anymore, I was merely relaying it on here in full as it had been quoted.

No worries, you posted it so I commented on Mr Rifkind's opinion therein. Previously I was just making the point that quoting the relative number of elderly people in the U.K. and Spain does rather miss the point on demand for NHS services. Politicians know exactly what they are doing when they seek to mislead in this way.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I imagine that almost everyone will understand the meaning of the expression 'really start to cost money' but if you and one other poster are trying to suggest I was claiming that no money at all is spent by the NHS on people who aren't old then I will quietly give up on this conversation and let you carry on wittering among yourselves.

Go on then,for the benefit of us 'thickies',what do you mean by the expression.How about some facts and figures to back it up,after all,if almost everyone understands apart from me and the good people of Sunderland,you really should try and enlighten us instead of giving up.???

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
May has kowtowed to the might of Corbyn and announced that she will announce the Government's plans over Brexit.

Must be Corbyn 100 May Nil at the moment.

May is a weak leader.

Call (i know you can't) a general election then.......Labour would be trounced.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I imagine that almost everyone will understand the meaning of the expression 'really start to cost money' but if you and one other poster are trying to suggest I was claiming that no money at all is spent by the NHS on people who aren't old then I will quietly give up on this conversation and let you carry on wittering among yourselves.

As the other poster I can assure you I don't think you mean that. I was just commenting on the idea that demand for NHS services should be measured by relative numbers of elderly. It was Mr Rifkind making this comparison. I was just chipping in, sorry if I have caused offence.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Go on then,for the benefit of us 'thickies',what do you mean by the expression.How about some facts and figures to back it up,after all,if almost everyone understands apart from me and the good people of Sunderland,you really should try and enlighten us instead of giving up.???

There is a correlation between healthcare costs and age.

Distribution of healthcare costs.PNG

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh dear-so only old people get HIV/AIDS do they.You do talk some utter drivel, without supporting it with any facts.

Yes well done rather than looking it as an age group you want to talk about individuals. Yes people of any age can contract an illness which is costly to control or suffer live threatening injuries which are again expensive.
However you would expect people in their 20s and 30s to be healthier than those well past retirement age.
Also don't overlook that pensioners receive free prescriptions.
However you keep your blinkers on and pretend you dont understand what was actually meant. You must be pretending because we always told that leavers are not thick therefore you must understand what was meant.

Being as clever as you are you can now doubt fully explain what we are going to get from a red white and blue brexit.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

View attachment 79951

Good to see the figures, but sticking up for the oldies (seeing as some are blaming them for costing the NHS a lot, plus the vote of Brexit) they have paid into the system, not all of them live to a ripe old age, not all of them need care. The 20-30 group who are obviously fitter, have paid very little into the system and will get help when they reach old age.......evolution, long live the NHS and free presciptions for the elderly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Good to see the figures, but sticking up for the oldies (seeing as some are blaming them for costing the NHS a lot, plus the vote of Brexit) they have paid into the system, not all of them live to a ripe old age, not all of them need care. The 20-30 group who are obviously fitter, have paid very little into the system and will get help when they reach old age.......evolution, long live the NHS and free presciptions for the elderly.
That doesn't make any sense whosoever. Amazing!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I think I was the one who raised this issue and I can assure you that neither I nor anyone else has blamed old people for costing the NHS more than younger people do. Where did you get that impression?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As the other poster I can assure you I don't think you mean that. I was just commenting on the idea that demand for NHS services should be measured by relative numbers of elderly. It was Mr Rifkind making this comparison. I was just chipping in, sorry if I have caused offence.

Thanks. No offence meant I'm sure, and none taken. Up the Albion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I'm an oldie myself so I'm not taking sides, just giving the facts.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
With the bunch of useless fools we have in charge of negotiating a deal, I think it might actually work out ok.

Cameron's "concessions" deal is going to look Churchilian in comparison.

who would have thought that 'Brexit means brexit' would be the height of May's oratory? #redwhiteandblue

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Haven't checked in for a while, everyone getting what they voted for?😂

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Haven't checked in for a while, everyone getting what they voted for?😂

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

We are leaving The European Union.
The leavers will be getting what they voted for, the remainers will not.

I would have thought this was blindingly obvious even by someone that didn’t give a toss either way over the issue and wasn’t interested in voting anyway like yourself.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

View attachment 79951

I wonder though what comparative cover is offered by Medicare compared to the cradle to grave NHS. Quite apart from that I still think that Mr Rifkind is misusing the figures. We would need to know the actual Healthcare usage of British people in Spain and
vice versa. Rather than saying there are very few Spanish pensioners in the U.K. and leaving it at that he needs to quote the amount of NHS healthcare used by younger Spanish people otherwise his figures are meaningless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here