[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A decision has been made. I guess we'd better shut up and accept it. Tee-hee. The Brexiteers don't like the boot on the other foot eh! Swallow it, fools!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think so, the civil war merely reinforced the supremacy of a parliament for the wealthy few not the people via universal suffrage despite that option being on the table as part of the Putney debates.

Ergo, the civil war did not advance democracy for the people one iota.

I disagree. While it clearly didn't lead to universal suffrage, it did establish the supremacy of parliament and within a few decades the Bill of Rights, so it did advance democracy slightly.

Remember that were at least four Acts of Parliament before we had universal suffrage (and it took more than 250 years). The Putney debates were an important step along the way but it would truly have been a radical act - no other country in the world had anything like it at that time

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
A decision has been made. I guess we'd better shut up and accept it. Tee-hee. The Brexiteers don't like the boot on the other foot eh! Swallow it, fools!!!

Indeed, British sovereignty and parliamentary democracy (much used phrases) in full affect.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The trouble with them is they only provide a snapshot view of the country at one specific time,

And... I would add, a snapshot at a particular point in time.

You mean like the one in the early 70s that took us in to the Common Market / EU ? Seems people were happy with that snapshot - lets now support the new snapshot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Not fools, i think many of us knew that if the vote was Leave (surely it had no chance eh) then evry trick in the book would be used to change/delay/stop etc.
Unfortunately unlike the Irish who had to keep voting until the result came out "right", the government knew that would not be possible.
The fools are people like you who preach democracy if it suits.........tee bloody hee.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No resemblance at all.

She's channelling Thatchers spirit..... she has the same " Mummy knows best " demeanour and she says she wants " Capitalism to work for everyone... " like she almost believes it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What a complete mess.

MPs will feel obliged to vote in parliament to invoke article 50, but not at any expense.

I can only see this going smoothly if the tory party can get all the MPs to all vote for the same thing.

If that doesn't happen, and that's quite likely IMO, the tory party is in for a rough ride :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not fools, i think many of us knew that if the vote was Leave (surely it had no chance eh) then evry trick in the book would be used to change/delay/stop etc.
Unfortunately unlike the Irish who had to keep voting until the result came out "right", the government knew that would not be possible.
The fools are people like you who preach democracy if it suits.........tee bloody hee.

You wanted Parliamentary sovereignty and now you've got it. Our MPs will vote on it. What's the problem?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a complete mess.

MPs will feel obliged to vote in parliament to invoke article 50, but not at any expense.

I can only see this going smoothly if the tory party can get all the MPs to all vote for the same thing.

If that doesn't happen, and that's quite likely IMO, the tory party is in for a rough ride :lolol:

They'll call a General Election.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This could undermine Thatcher to the extent that she has to call a General Election, if we clear the decks and have an election based on pro/leave the EU candidates it may mean that Article 50 is never invoked as Brexit MP's may be in a minority afterwards. Interesting point made on the radio just now, if Thatcher had triggered Article 50 as soon as she assumed power the court case would have been an irrelevance and it would currently be unstoppable.

Sir, I ask if you are a misogynist?

Was John Major otherwise known as Ted Heath? Did Tony Blair get nicknamed Harold Wilson? Gordon Brown, John Callaghan etc etc. So are you only calling Teresa May by the name Thatcher just because she is a woman, or because she looks like her, or because she is as right wing as the Iron Lady?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
She's channelling Thatchers spirit..... she has the same " Mummy knows best " demeanour and she says she wants " Capitalism to work for everyone... " like she almost believes it.
Well, that may be your spin on it, but there are so many differences (thank goodness) that I for the first time in my life am satisfied with the way a conservative PM is going about her business. Thatcher on the other hand, I danced in the street when she died....................

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The conclusion is reached as if the result were the other way round, this would never have been on the agenda. Parliament and the staunch remainers would have continued along as though the referendum had never taken place. Would this fund manager have taken the government to court? Never in a million years.

That doesn't make any sense. Of course there would have been no legal challenge from him. However, I suspect there would have been plenty of Brexit supporters who wouldn't let it lie and would be seeking a further referendum in a few years, just like the SNP is doing about independence.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
You wanted Parliamentary sovereignty and now you've got it. Our MPs will vote on it. What's the problem?

Absolutely, most of the vociferous leavers on here were all for parliament seeing this through,maybe what they actually wanted was the right wing of the Conservatives forcing the issue, that's a shame then.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That doesn't make any sense. Of course there would have been no legal challenge from him. However, I suspect there would have been plenty of Brexit supporters who wouldn't let it lie and would be seeking a further referendum in a few years, just like the SNP is doing about independence.
Yes it didn't make the best case, it's already been pointed out and I've replied clarifying and acknowledging my error.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I like the fact that today's decision has given you hope. I just hope you understand the the UK will still leave the EU. Brexit will still happen. It may take longer and it maybe a softer bexit, but it will still happen. Tee-hee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports