Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brewdog: hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply "full of s**t"?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do these companies have hypocritical anti-Qatar campaigns running?
So do we assume they are supportive of the Qatari regime and human rights records if they say nothing AND officially sponsor the tournament ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly, or rather normally as that's the way the real world works. But in this instance they have played the "Hey, unlike Coke and Budweiser we're the good guys speaking out against homophobia and corruption!" card so heavily that they deserve all the shit that's coming their way.
So you are using the fact they 'heavily' speak out about homophobia, corruption etc as a stick to beat them with? That does not make much sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is impossible to be a business of a reasonable size in international markets without hypocrisy.

Just look at pride month, LGBT etc. most international brands ‘use’ it, except in markets where it might cause them difficulty.

How can a major bank have diversity & inclusion teams all over the place, but operate in the Middle East or China

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But in that instance, bands are serving their fans - and those fans have the potential to influence other locals in a positive way.

Selling beer not exactly the same.
It's not exactly the same no. But drinking a product which also has an advertising campaign like the Brewdog one will raise some awareness and/or make people think.

PS I'm not the fanboy I once was, far from it, I do not even go to my local bar 5 mins walk from my apartment anymore; I'm not defending them per se....more the idea that engagment and protest can coexist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's similar to the argument raised by Gary Neville when probed on his involvement by Ian Hislop on HIGNFY. A little thin.
I have seen this. If he goes there as a commentator/journo and uses his platform to raise awareness then his argument will be stronger; I doubt he will.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
So you are using the fact they 'heavily' speak out about homophobia, corruption etc as a stick to beat them with? That does not make much sense.
No, I'm saying they're being deeply cynical and playing both ends. I don't believe for a moment that as a corporation they give a flying f*** about homophobia or corruption, they'll take anybody's money as they've proved.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I'm saying they're being deeply cynical and playing both ends. I don't believe for a moment that as a corporation they give a flying f*** about homophobia or corruption, they'll take anybody's money as they've proved.
I feel you're the one being cynical here. Of course they care about homophobia etc even if (maybe) it's in part due to their reputational image. You seem to see this very black and white i.e. a corporation cannot have ethical values.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is impossible to be a business of a reasonable size in international markets without hypocrisy.

Just look at pride month, LGBT etc. most international brands ‘use’ it, except in markets where it might cause them difficulty.

How can a major bank have diversity & inclusion teams all over the place, but operate in the Middle East or China
there's different levels. openly attacking a country and event while selling your product in that country and showing that event is gross hypocrisy. they are using the popular distaste for the world cup to promote the brand, virtue signalling to those opposed they are against the event, while profiting from it. othes brands will quietly profit without the contradiction.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patreon
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Always able to find Charringtons IPA back then, Ruddles quite common, The Walmer Castle had good beers if you were prepared to make the trip including Theakstons Old Peculiar from a barrel on the bar.
If Ruddles and Old Peculiar counted as good beers back then, things must have been really bleak.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I feel you're the one being cynical here. Of course they care about homophobia etc even if (maybe) it's in part due to their reputational image. You seem to see this very black and white i.e. a corporation cannot have ethical values.
Not cynical, just disappointed. Of course a corporation can have ethical values, but Brewdog quite patently haven't. (Although I accept they may well have started out like that). Now they merely have a, carefully honed, corporate image of being the 'edgy outsiders' hence the current marketing campaign.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So do we assume they are supportive of the Qatari regime and human rights records if they say nothing AND officially sponsor the tournament ?
No, but that's a completely different point.

It's a thread about Brewdog. I'm accusing Brewdog - not other companies - of rampant hypocrisy.

They're full of sh1t. Always have been.

(As the title of this six-year-old thread alludes to, in fact!)

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Had an E-mail from them a couple of weeks ago with a barcode for a free pint...James Watt giving a long spiel about a little help in these tough times etc etc

Rocked up at the pub to be told by some miserable manager they had 'sold out' and no alternative as computer says no...

Won't bother ever going back

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Had an E-mail from them a couple of weeks ago with a barcode for a free pint...James Watt giving a long spiel about a little help in these tough times etc etc

Rocked up at the pub to be told by some miserable manager they had 'sold out' and no alternative as computer says no...

Won't bother ever going back
like their gold can promotion, they fib a bit.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patreon
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Better than the Watneys Red Barrel in the post I was replying to.
Happily, that's not a standard I can hold it to, having been blissfully ignorant of it until about 5minutes ago. This isn't encouraging though:
"Because Watney’s products were up to 20 percent muck: beer returned from pubs, sludgy stuff from the bottom of tanks and other crap lying around the brewery."
God, the past was awful.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Happily, that's not a standard I can hold it to, having been blissfully ignorant of it until about 5minutes ago. This isn't encouraging though:
"Because Watney’s products were up to 20 percent muck: beer returned from pubs, sludgy stuff from the bottom of tanks and other crap lying around the brewery."
God, the past was awful.

God, the past was awful.

Beer tastes change but it was almost as bad as Long life. The only saving grace of that was it came in cans. Perfect for taking on the coach for away games.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Life could be a lot worse. Back in the 1970s 90% (give or take) of pubs in Brighton and Hove were tied to Watneys Brewery - part of the Grand Met. organisation. So you were somewhat limited as to what vile cat’s piss you consumed - be it Watney’s Red Barrel, Watney’s Special (!), Starlight. The same situation applied in Bristol, but with Courage pubs. This resulted in an exchange of 10% of managed houses, with Brighton having Courage beers in their allocation and Bristol having Watney’s.

So be thankful that there is a free market now on what tipple of choice you want - even if it is Brew Dog!
You forgot Double Diamond and Worthington E .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here