Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brewdog: hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply "full of s**t"?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks! Been in this boozer 5 hours, cracking beer selection and excellent cheese/sausage platter.
Love Berlin

Agree, aside from the beers and food it's got a really nice buzz about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
In Southampton, we're actually really lucky as we now have 3 very, very good (well 2 and the other one is very new but has the right idea) micro pubs that are doing some really interesting stuff. Also a couple of amazing offies too.

I walked past Trafalgar wines last night and saw they have cans of Magic Rock High Wire with grapefruit. You folks need to get on this. Absolutely delicious.

As for BrewDog, their beers are good, but like so many that kick start something, they have been overtaken by small producers doing it a lot better. Sadly, the 2 founders, despite doing good things, come across as a pair of complete helmets.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Went to the Craft Beer Co in Islington yesterday, i've not been to the one in Brighton. On the pricey side (tenner plus for 2 pints) but a fantastic range of beers (obvs) but also a great vibe about the place and the food was decent too. By 7 it was rammed. Lots of hipsters in there (also obvs)!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agree, aside from the beers and food it's got a really nice buzz about it.

7 hours down and all beers done. Also enjoyed lunch and dinner here, great burgers!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am DEFINITELY trying that ridiculously hot burger in June!!!

Ha! As HT says, it was the Napalm Wings. I love spicy food, but have NEVER suffered like I did attempting to eat these.

But we saw it through. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells of...victory.

Good luck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
7 hours down and all beers done. Also enjoyed lunch and dinner here, great burgers!

So let me get this right, you had lunch AND dinner in this place AND and had a glass of all the draft beer? If so this is a truly Herculean achievement. Excellent work.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I got bored of pubs years ago. I sometimes pop into them at quieter times or if the good Lady The Clamp fancies a Campari and a packet of Big D's honey roasted. So the Craft/Brewdog/expensive beer "revolution" has passed me by really. I did try and buy a Guiness in a pub recently and was instead presented with a bewildering selection of Porters, Inks, Wits, and all manner of cheekily named splosh. But no Guiness. It's my default, go to drink when in a pub that hasn't really got what I like. I left.
The whole new pub thing is a fashion designed to extract your money from your pockets for what is essentially , cheap to produce flavoured water .
It's a shame that many people now immediately write a pub off if it doesn't stock these fantastically named brews. Most of the still-decent pubs I know still serve good beer, they just have the traditional choices and rather tasty they are too.
I still prefer an afternoon on the allotment while supping of a few bottles of Sussex Ale to going into town to drink beer next to hipsters who are suffering an identity crisis because they want a beard but also really want to learn how to cut throat shave.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I got bored of pubs years ago. I sometimes pop into them at quieter times or if the good Lady The Clamp fancies a Campari and a packet of Big D's honey roasted. So the Craft/Brewdog/expensive beer "revolution" has passed me by really. I did try and buy a Guiness in a pub recently and was instead presented with a bewildering selection of Porters, Inks, Wits, and all manner of cheekily named splosh. But no Guiness. It's my default, go to drink when in a pub that hasn't really got what I like. I left.
The whole new pub thing is a fashion designed to extract your money from your pockets for what is essentially , cheap to produce flavoured water .
It's a shame that many people now immediately write a pub off if it doesn't stock these fantastically named brews. Most of the still-decent pubs I know still serve good beer, they just have the traditional choices and rather tasty they are too.
I still prefer an afternoon on the allotment while supping of a few bottles of Sussex Ale to going into town to drink beer next to hipsters who are suffering an identity crisis because they want a beard but also really want to learn how to cut throat shave.

And they've ruined the Princess Vic:down:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There's only one decent tasting beer in brewdog and its called "Lager"

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So let me get this right, you had lunch AND dinner in this place AND and had a glass of all the draft beer? If so this is a truly Herculean achievement. Excellent work.

Pretty much - even the quadruple at a cool 10% to finish off. Group of 6 of us and hard to please but all the boys were loving it once they got on to something they liked. Proves why Berlin is my fave European city

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty much - even the quadruple at a cool 10% to finish off. Group of 6 of us and hard to please but all the boys were loving it once they got on to something they liked. Proves why Berlin is my fave European city

Blimey. Excellent work.

It's a great place. The bar area is nice and I imagine the outside terrace will be great like today when the sun is out. Here's a nice little story. I went there to meet a mate just after it opened. I arrived but there was a private party/opening launch. I was a bit miffed as I was early as I wanted to sample a few beers before meeting friend and heading to a gig. I explained my situation to the doorman and asked for a decent nearby bar; he said if I sat down here (just outside the door on the terrace) he'd get me a beer and I could wait. I finished my first beer and he got me another - both were on the house. Nice touch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, the local punks, activists and anarchists can now hit the newest bar from Brewdog in St Pauli and enjoy a nice cool refreshing pint of Punk IPA whilst they ponder what to fire bomb next. The craft beer revolutionaries have even installed a huge neon “beer anarchists” sign to provide a guiding light to similar minds.

Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here