Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brewdog: hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply "full of s**t"?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

image.jpg

Nothing new the hipster look, this is the cricketer W G Grace taken over 100 years ago.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I wasn't long ago you we bigging up the cereal bars run by those two hipster twats[emoji3]

But they weren't trying to pass off their products as 'premium' or 'organic'. They were bowls of cereal with a myriad of combinations and toppings. It is a great idea that could be embraced and enjoyed by everyone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's just hype. Beer has always had different varieties.

Well I never drank beer with U.S. West coast hops when I was young. Not disputing there have been many varieties but what beers did you drink in the 70s and 80s'. On the whole , mass produced tasteless shit. Even the decent bitters tasted pretty much the same. Name a stout or porter other than all that Irish shit. Name a hoppy pale from that time. My local stocks over a hundred Belgiums of which most are pretty new.
Beer is just beer is it ?
Hype or marketing ? We know all that works......... John Smiths is the biggest selling beer (tee hee) from the supermarkets.

I just judge the product and Brewdog make excellent beer. If you've studied brewing, worked on Jaipur at Thornbridge you're going to know a bit about the game. Pretentious ......... They just cock a snoop and everyone takes it so seriously.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The text that (used to be?) on the side of Punk IPA is a pretentious ****-fest.

Most of their beers and bars are pretty good, though. Bit of an ego issue, that's tolerable.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Over hoppy for my liking. Brightons Brewdog is near my work and we went in last week. Nice enough but the prices were simply eye watering, so popped over to the North Laines instead. Much nicer IMO.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Oranjeboom 8.5 from the corner shop does it for me.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Over hoppy for my liking. Brightons Brewdog is near my work and we went in last week. Nice enough but the prices were simply eye watering, so popped over to the North Laines instead. Much nicer IMO.

:tantrum:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Big fan of Rebellion beers here...Love it but it doesn't love me. Always feel like sh it next day :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think I tick 4 of those boxes.

"BrewDog embodies, in short, much about modern life that many people love to hate, particularly online and almost certainly beneath this article: you don’t have to search far to find someone on the internet calling BrewDog “hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “********s” or simply “full of shit”. In the small but passionate world of British beer nerds, few subjects arouse stronger feelings than BrewDog: “an instinctively repulsive … operation of expanding beards and stupidly named gaseous beverages”, as one blogger put it."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ous-infuriating-and-ingenious-rise-of-brewdog

A good read. Some fine beers out there now including Magic Rock, Beaver Town & Tiny Rebel

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Love Beaver Town beers. Currently on a fitness tip and not had a beer in 2.5 months. 2 weeks to go and it's the thought of a Beavertown Gamma Ray keeping me going...

Trafalgar Wines in Brighton sell a variety of a Beaver Town in cans and noticed in the window display last night at Mulhollands Church Rd Hove have followed suit.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
BrewDog served a purpose which was to shake up a UK brewing industry that needed shaking up.

Everything they do is done to raise their own profile and the shock tactics are only there to boost awareness of their product. James Watt knows what he's doing (and as that BBC programme the other day showed clearly, he's a total control freak). Free advertising for them, just like everyone getting in a lather about Ryanair every time Michael O'Leary opens his mouth is just free airtime for them.

I like their beers, but they are far from the best of the UK new wave. Would far rather drink Burning Sky or Magic Rock or many others. Punk IPA used to be great but has gone a bit meh.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not just people from Worthing

View attachment 73265

What are they trying to say? "Welcome to North Laine's natural home for fine, local ales" or "Welcome to North Laines: the natural home for fine, local ales". I think the former as that would mean only three mistakes, the latter would mean four.

Whichever way you look at it, that number of mistakes in an 11-word sentence is spectacular, almost of HB&B standard :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They make some really nice beers, however when you describe one of your beers like this

'Our scene-stealing flagship is an India Pale Ale that has become a byword for craft beer rebellion; synonymous with the insurgency against mass-produced, lowest common denominator beer. Punk IPA charges the barricades to fly its colours from the ramparts – full-on, full-flavour; at full-throttle.

Layered with new world hops to create an explosion of tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee before a spiky bitter finish, this is transatlantic fusion running at the fences of lost empires.

Nothing will ever be the same again.'

People are probably gonna think you are wankers and they most definitely have a point.

Good point well made.

I've got nothing against them personally, like music and comedy everybody's got different tastes and if you want to grow a beard and pay £5+ for a pint of beer then go ahead. They're simply the CAMRA bores de nos jours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A good read. Some fine beers out there now including Magic Rock, Beaver Town & Tiny Rebel

Siren are doing some good stuff as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here