Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brew dog at it again !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In a combative statement James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog, said: “On behalf of BrewDog PLC and its 14,691 individual shareholders, I would like to issue a formal apology to the Portman Group for not giving a shit about today’s ruling. Indeed, we are sorry for never giving a shit about anything the Portman Group has to say, and treating all of its statements with callous indifference and nonchalance.”

“Unfortunately, the Portman Group is a gloomy gaggle of killjoy jobsworths, funded by navel-gazing international drinks giants. Their raison d’être is to provide a diversion for the true evils of this industry, perpetrated by the gigantic faceless brands that pay their wages. Blinkered by this soulless mission, they treat beer drinkers like brain dead zombies and vilify creativity and competition. Therefore, we have never given a second thought to any of the grubby newspeak they disseminate periodically.”

What a sadsack. Might as well have gone the whole hog and blamed THATCHER

The-Young-Ones-Rick.png

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My point is that this unelected, unaccountable group, controlled by those listed companies, who in turn control the vast majority of the UK's alcohol production supplies, are interested only in keeping the industry aligned with THEIR view of how the industry should be managed and marketed. In one breath castigating Brewdog for a minor labeling indiscretion, when at the same time producing millions of bottles of blue, pink and orange alcopops solely targeted at the youngsters, and sold in bumper bogof type deals......hypocrites one and all.

It's a valid argument. Some of those companies are pretty unloveable and churn out some horrible drinks with marketing tactics that are pretty questionable.

I think you're actually making a more convincing case than Brewdog is doing. I think even people who initially supported them are getting a bit bored of the naughty-boy posturing.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True, but they were/are at the vangard of the craft beer revolution. For this I will always be grateful to them.

Greene King were at the vanguard of the real ale revolution. I used to be grateful to them.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you're misunderstanding the Portman Group's remit. Yes, it's funded by the big drinks companies ... would hardly be fair to expect the smaller ones to cough up. But it's not a trade body as such. I'm not saying it isn't guilty of self-interest, but that self-interest extends to the entire drinks industry, including Brewdog.

The argument about closed-shop pub chains is really something separate, though I agree it's an issue.

How on earth can anyone take The Portman Group seriously when it is most of those brands that are being spewed up, or fuelling fighting, on a Friday night. No wonder they're doing their upmost to head off regulation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My point is that this unelected, unaccountable group, controlled by those listed companies, who in turn control the vast majority of the UK's alcohol production supplies, are interested only in keeping the industry aligned with THEIR view of how the industry should be managed and marketed. In one breath castigating Brewdog for a minor labeling indiscretion, when at the same time producing millions of bottles of blue, pink and orange alcopops solely targeted at the youngsters, and sold in bumper bogof type deals......hypocrites one and all.

This. Excellent point well made.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure anyone has actually ever used the terms 'craft beer' and 'session beer' in real life. Same as nobody probably ever used the term '[insert country name here] street food' outside the pages of a 'lifestyle' magazine.

Pretentious? Vous?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog are from the same "There's no such thing as bad publicity" school as Ryanair - they'll take any opportunity they can, and be as controversial as they can, to get their name out there.

There are two differences between Brewdog and Ryanair though...

1. Brewdog's clientele lap up their oh-so-funny stunts (because)...
2. Brewdog's clientele enjoy consuming their product.

Fiar point. We're now heading to 4 pages on a football website. No doubt this will also make some free inches in the press tomorrow.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's not essential to love the Portman Group or its constituent members in this debate. The code of practice has widespread support across the industry, and not just from the mega-corporations you may rightly distrust.

Take a look at http://www.portmangroup.org.uk/codes/alcohol-marketing/code-of-practice/code-signatories. You've got all kinds of producers and retailers in there. Meantime Brewery. Adnams. Black Sheep. Majestic. Harveys of Lewes.

It's possible that Brewdog is run by visionaries who will expose Portman's illuminati-type agenda at any point. Or maybe they just love a PR opportunity. We'll all make up our own minds I guess ...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like my ale, and to an extent my craft beer's. But I can't help thinking Vorishilov has a point about hipsters moving in on a territory that really didn't need or want them

Ale and beer is not an exclusive club. Hipsters have as much right as anyone else.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fiar point. We're now heading to 4 pages on a football website. No doubt this will also make some free inches in the press tomorrow.

I've been very much onside with Brewdog and, I guess, I still am. I think this illustrates that they will need to start being a bit more careful though. Compared to some of the mega-corps involved in brewing they are still very much small-beer (pun intended) but they are significantly bigger than they once were and still on a growth spurt.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've been very much onside with Brewdog and, I guess, I still am. I think this illustrates that they will need to start being a bit more careful though. Compared to some of the mega-corps involved in brewing they are still very much small-beer (pun intended) but they are significantly bigger than they once were and still on a growth spurt.

I think it's a shame that they spend so much of their marketing effort on negativity. It's really built in to their mindset. The brewing world is full of friendly people who love sharing ideas and working together but Brewdog persists in this idea that it's an outsider. Some of their stunts have been amusing to a point but personally I find it all a bit tiresome now. Just focus on the beer and stop looking for fights in empty rooms ...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it's a shame that they spend so much of their marketing effort on negativity. It's really built in to their mindset. The brewing world is full of friendly people who love sharing ideas and working together but Brewdog persists in this idea that it's an outsider. Some of their stunts have been amusing to a point but personally I find it all a bit tiresome now. Just focus on the beer and stop looking for fights in empty rooms ...

I'd agree with this. I like there IPA a lot (but it's worth the amount it's charged more than a regular IPA) . But they do seem like a bunch of egotistical twats which makes me less likely to but their beer.

There is a clearly a market for them though, of people who didn't think they liked beer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can't be arsed to find out what that is all about - but I am not sure the impact of pubs selling very strong beer in a session beer culture has fully played out. This is not particularly a Brew Dog thing - although I have been in one of their pubs and was surprised at the strength of the beers - and it may have been an issue for many years without me noticing.

But how do people drink 6% plus (and some are 7 and 9%) beers as part of an evening drinking (without falling over) ?

I think the wording that the P Group objected to was on their Dead Pony Club beer which is only 3.7 or thereabouts DKM. I don't mind a strong one but not when I'm having a few, although like you not 7' 8 's or 9's. Unless they are Belgiums they just taste too strong.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stunning is pushing the description. They are very good at PR/Marketing and the beer is decent but there are many small breweries making better.

Well I think Punk IPA is stunning. Not saying there aren't others making great stuff as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is utter nonsense. They are a very positive brewery and very very inclusive and collaborative. They have done collaborations with record labels, Tate Modern, bands and heaps of other breweries. They are certainly idiosyncratic but to say they're trying to be an outsider is simply not true when I consider how they reach out. You seem to be defining them by a single issue you do not agree with.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Come to Bristol, where we have the "BEERmuder Triangle".... King St has all within 20 meters of each other, The Small Bar, The Beer Emporium and The Naval Volunteer, all recently fully engaged in the craft beer experience ( and other stuff too)...... a few hundred meters away also is Brewdog..... and these places are always full of punters.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Come to Bristol, where we have the "BEERmuder Triangle".... King St has all within 20 meters of each other, The Small Bar, The Beer Emporium and The Naval Volunteer, all recently fully engaged in the craft beer experience ( and other stuff too)...... a few hundred meters away also is Brewdog..... and these places are always full of punters.

Do many people vanish completely after a night there, though?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not a fan of German wheat beers I am afraid. I will be sampling the delights of Augustiner and some southern German craft brewers.

Does it cost a small fortune, show hints of brilliance, but ultimately disappear without trace leaving only a bad taste in the mouth?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
If it's a choice between hipster wankers who make fairly tasty beer but ruin it with their pretentious attitude, or corporate behemoths who force-feed us overpriced piss and terrible adverts, I'd be tempted by the cyanide pill.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
This is utter nonsense. They are a very positive brewery and very very inclusive and collaborative. They have done collaborations with record labels, Tate Modern, bands and heaps of other breweries. They are certainly idiosyncratic but to say they're trying to be an outsider is simply not true when I consider how they reach out. You seem to be defining them by a single issue you do not agree with.

I'm actually basing my views on following their progress since their inception, speaking to a number of their top people, writing various pieces about them, listening to what various brewers and journalists have said about their business model and marketing activity, watching their presentations at various trade events, and tasting their beers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here