Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brentford

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Top of the Championship this run-in has reminded me of the year we came 3rd.

We were on a very similar run to Brentford, sweeping teams aside while waiting and hoping for Burnley and Boro to drop points.

Always felt like we were in the mix though, and thus ultimate failure on the last day was a huge disappointment, leading to an emotional low going into the play offs. Brentford have clawed back a big deficit without quite making it into the top two yet, so I wonder if it won't be quite such a blow if they don't make it.

Reckon they'll be well equipped for the play offs. Also think the lack of crowds may help them, as they won't have that nervous anxiety to deal with that would be the case if they finish painfully third.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Always felt like we were in the mix though, and thus ultimate failure on the last day was a huge disappointment, leading to an emotional low going into the play offs. Brentford have clawed back a big deficit without quite making it into the top two yet, so I wonder if it won't be quite such a blow if they don't make it.

Reckon they'll be well equipped for the play offs. Also think the lack of crowds may help them, as they won't have that nervous anxiety to deal with that would be the case if they finish painfully third.

Problem was also that we had to put out our best 11 for the whole run-in whereas Sheff W were able to rest many of their team for the last round of matches. Then we lost 4 of our team (possibly due to their exertions during the previous few games) during the first leg. Brentford will probably need to field their best players for the last 2 games in the hope that WBA slip up. It won't be easy for them in the playoffs - probably against Cardiff.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Lived in West London until I moved to Spain and my memory is that Brentford were everyones second club. A pub on each corner of the ground, what was not to love?
I love their story. They were sick of clubs pinching their best youngsters so scrapped their Academy and youth sides. They went down the route of having a reserve side composed of drop outs from Chelsea, QPR,Fulham and others. They arranged fixtures all around europe for the “reserves” and the whole group trained together. Radical! I like it!
Prefer what Tony has done but fair play to them. Cant be easy in West London. The stadium they move into next season looks excellent. Think Tony is still a hero to their owner!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Lived in West London until I moved to Spain and my memory is that Brentford were everyones second club. A pub on each corner of the ground, what was not to love?
I love their story. They were sick of clubs pinching their best youngsters so scrapped their Academy and youth sides. They went down the route of having a reserve side composed of drop outs from Chelsea, QPR,Fulham and others. They arranged fixtures all around europe for the “reserves” and the whole group trained together. Radical! I like it!
Prefer what Tony has done but fair play to them. Cant be easy in West London. The stadium they move into next season looks excellent. Think Tony is still a hero to their owner!

As you probably well know, the ground their stadium is built on, was a derelict eye sore for years, although it has made a gypsyesque family very rich, as I'm led to believe.
The Kew area looks very upmarket, expensive properties etc.....
Glad we have the Amex.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This.
Alway's love going to watch Albion play at their cowshed, even better now at the Amex Part Deux.

I was there yesterday, for work, and can assure you it is no Amex.

Nice enough little ground, though, but if they do make it up to the Prem, it’s going to seem TINY.

Jimmy Grimble

I scarcely recall us being in the top two from January onwards of that season. We spent the entire run-in chasing.

I do agree that they’ll be better suited to have a go at the play offs, though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was there yesterday, for work, and can assure you it is no Amex.

Nice enough little ground, though, but if they do make it up to the Prem, it’s going to seem TINY.

It was rather meant as a tongue in cheek remark :thumbsup:
Kew steam museum might get a few more visitors on matchday.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Beige, but from whom we got the Albion in our name, and possibly the blue and white stripes.

Be that as it may, they're just such a nothing club. I really struggle to think up anything other than 'meh' about them.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I know there's no love lost between Brentford's owner and Uncle Tony, but I too would love Brentford to go up! Brentford fans I've come across so far are bloody nice people and proper football fans.

My late favourite uncle was a Bees fan who used to cycle to the ground on matchdays. My aunt always used to put a ribbon on their front door so it was there when he got back from the game - red if they'd won, white if they'd drawn, and black if they'd lost! He died about 30 years ago but I've never forgotten his love for Brentford. In fact I remember one of his daughters briefly going out with one of their goalkeepers. RIP Uncle Alec!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
As you probably well know, the ground their stadium is built on, was a derelict eye sore for years, although it has made a gypsyesque family very rich, as I'm led to believe.
The Kew area looks very upmarket, expensive properties etc.....
Glad we have the Amex.

No I didn’t know that. My children are in that area, one was born there but I am from Seaford and moved there for work. I am influenced by my son who was born in Ashford Hospital. I took him and his mate to Brentford to watch Brighton. Liam Brady was in charge of Brighton and we attempted the most outrageous corner kick I have ever seen. We didn’t score but we should have!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep, fully behind Brentford. I really admire their model, their scouting in recent years has been absolutely superb.

That front 3 are just excellent at that level and you think they had Maupay last year, I can’t think of a 2nd division side who have had a better group of attackers together at one time.

I’ve been paying attention to Thomas Frank all season as what he’s done this season is fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed watching them play whenever I’ve seen them. No doubt he’s helped by their stable structure and excellent directors of football but he is a really intelligent and charismatic guy. Got a big future I think.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Both my late grandfather and my close mate are/were Brentford fans, so I keep one eye out for them most weeks. Would be delighted to see them make it up to the top tier.

My family on my mother's side are all from Ealing and had my grandfather lived longer (he died when I was 3) I would have been a Brentford fan no doubt, as he would have taken me to their home games.

Although our recent record against Brentford ain't so hot, I would like them very much to be in the Premier League, much more so than 'teams like' Forest

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Be that as it may, they're just such a nothing club. I really struggle to think up anything other than 'meh' about them.

That’s Everton for me, absolute non-radar club, at least WBA had the whole Big Ron, Regis, Cunningham, Batson era. Even when Everton were successful in the 80s they were personality-free and devoid of colour or interest, and have ever since hung around invisibly in their traditional 8th or 9th place being bland in their bland all-blue kit and are such an uninspiring fixture. At least WBA get relegated once in a while.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The football show now

Emile Heskey " I think they've left it a bit late "
Phil Babb " Do they rest players for the play offs , tricky decision to make "

POINT BEHIND WITH A BETTER GD YOU MUGS

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The land their current ground is on was owned by the Fullers family and was donated to them. There's still a big connection between them and the brewery, I've had some input into the set up at the new ground.

They have a huge issue though as they have agreed to leave the old ground end of this season. The lock down has caused delays but the biggest issue is that they are unable to get a safety certificate until there's been ramp up events held, and as we know no one is allowed to have any sort of large gathering. They may have to share if they get promoted as they may be able to extend their stay at the old ground but would not want to spend the money to make it Premiership standard (floodlights, tv points etc)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Eight wins on the bounce in the Championship is one hell of a feat.

My concern is that, if they do miss out, they'll be a bit like us in 2015/16 - they'll have busted a gut to try and win automatic promotion, and won't have enough left in the tank for the playoffs they're consigned to.

Really need Barnsley to pull off a miracle at Elland Road tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here