Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breakfast foods...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A) Sausage or bacon sarnie or toast and marmite, and tea or coffee. If I am in the office, Birley in Canary Wharf does fantastic sarnies on thick bloomer bread
B) Full English, must have black pudding and ideally a fried slice

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And of course, the best breakfast ever was The Pile Up from Harry's in Hove. No one has ever come close.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It had every choice going, from the various food stations there.

But was expensive.

I guess it is, their restaurant has 2 stars. Might be worth a trip for a special occasion. Do your energy people put you up there?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And of course, the best breakfast ever was The Pile Up from Harry's in Hove. No one has ever come close.

That was good. I was also partial to the Market Diner's Mega Gut Buster after a night in the old style , smelly , Hobgoblin. I can't recall if I ever finished it but I ways ordered one, every Friday night for years. Blimey. How did I ever do it?

I can't eat fry ups anymore, or very rarely anyway, certainly not when hungover, these days it's Egg Royale or a spinach omelette to banish the boozy fear.
image.jpg

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I suggest you cuRe your own bacon and make your own sausages (I do). This will a) solve your availability problem and b) give you a better fry up than Harry's.

A visit to the Adlon would be interesting ,as Bernie Gunther the fictional hero of Philip Kerr's excellent books was house detective there after the war.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I guess it is, their restaurant has 2 stars. Might be worth a trip for a special occasion. Do your energy people put you up there?

I ate in the main restaurant, rather than the Michelin one, which was very good as well.

Breakfast was 30 Euros I think, we only used it one day, there are 2 other places on Unter den Linden that were not bad (Einsteins and the place over the road from it, on the corner by the Russian Embassy), for breakfast.

When I work in Berlin, we tend to stay in the NH on Leipziger, as it is over the road from their office.

The Adlon was when I went there on holiday last summer, it was very nice.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Hash browns with scrambled eggs or Granola with a crunch corner yogurt mixed in, usually banana and choc.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A visit to the Adlon would be interesting ,as Bernie Gunther the fictional hero of Philip Kerr's excellent books was house detective there after the war.

Fantastic series of books, the Adlon was the first place I wanted to see when I went to Berlin, I didn't get chance to go inside though. That reminds me, I need to get the latest book.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suggest you cuRe your own bacon and make your own sausages (I do). This will a) solve your availability problem and b) give you a better fry up than Harry's.

I do have the Adlon on my list of places to eat so I will visit for sure. As an aside I went to Tim Raue's place a few weeks back. Fantastic and an interesting take on French (technique) and Asian (flavours and ingredients) cuisine. I'm not aware of these books. I'll investigate...my father likes a good detective read so you might have solved an annual Xmas present issue.

I would be interested in curing my own bacon. What do you need, other than a pig?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Normally I'll have granola, fruit all that dull stuff that's good for one, today I went out and I had The American Stack at a local restaurant. 6 pancakes layered with sausage, bacon, fried potato, fried egg . All swimming in maple syrup, with orders of orange and watermelon juices and pot of tea.
A rare treat but it got me thinking that some people eat that every day, some Americans for example.

Anyway, a) what's your normal breakfast and b) whats your treat breakfast?

Hmm. Breakfast is a bit if a luxury for me. I have to do kidney dialysis 5 days a week and I find it best to do it early. Though my session is 2 hours, it takes about 3 1/2 hours to do in total, by the time I've set up beforehand and tidied up after. If I start about 7 I'm done by about 11 maybe, so breakfast is long gone.

On the 2 days I don't dialyse, I'm boring and just have toast (no tea - limited fluid intake with no kidkeys)

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
95 days out of 100, I'll have porridge with any of a limitless combination of toppings (from yoghurt and honey to mixed nuts, dried fruit, and fresh fruit...to name but a few).

On those infrequent treat mornings, I'll either have homemade pancakes or a fry-up in some diner.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I do have the Adlon on my list of places to eat so I will visit for sure. As an aside I went to Tim Raue's place a few weeks back. Fantastic and an interesting take on French (technique) and Asian (flavours and ingredients) cuisine. I'm not aware of these books. I'll investigate...my father likes a good detective read so you might have solved an annual Xmas present issue.

I would be interested in curing my own bacon. What do you need, other than a pig?

Berlin Trilogy is the first threebooks (obvs), now available in one volume.

For matters porcine www.weschenfelder.co.uk are very much your friends.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Coffee, croissant and The Guardian is my regular day-starter. Once I've had a black coffee and filed my head with the day's issues I feel ready to pontificate. Saturdays is a trip to Eins for scrambled eggs, ham, salad, bread, orange juice and coffee. I miss a full-English. I'd make my own but the sausages ain't the same and they don't do bacon here.

You can get bacon from the fleischer the box heads eat it raw as they do black pudding, but it`s ok fried as well

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Running mornings - one slice of wholemeal toast pre-run and a banana after.

Non run weekday mornings - boiled egg plus wholemeal toast and butter

Saturday treat (going to fire this up in a minute) - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with lots of black pepper on the eggs,

My body is quite glad I no longer consult for the clients I had in Galway. The hotel there did the best full Irish ever including black and white pudding. And no away day / jolly boys outing should start without the consumption of a full English that ideally includes fried bread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here