Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bread making

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
For what it is worth Her Indoor's has a Rhos (?) breadmaker and makes brown bread about 400g size uses olive oil and salt but less than recipe about half the amount from what i am told. Very nice too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We dont eat enough and both of those go mildew before they are used up. So the idea is for me to make a loaf and try it.

Supermarket breads have more preservatives in them than one you'd make at home, so wouldn't the home-made one go stale quicker?

What you need is some good advice from an expert baker like [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] here.

Paul-Hollywood-British-Baking.jpg

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
We have a panasonic breadmaker. Use it regularly to make either a rye and spelt loaf or polenta bread ( 80% white bread flour, 20% polenta) I occasionalkly make bread by hand, but it is time consuming. IMO you get out what you put in so don't buy cheap ingredients. Also I prefer olive oil rather than butter in my recipes and honey is good with wholemeal and rye flours rather than sugar

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Supermarket breads have more preservatives in them than one you'd make at home, so wouldn't the home-made one go stale quicker?

What you need is some good advice from an expert baker like [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] here.

Paul-Hollywood-British-Baking.jpg

Donjt mind if it goes stale can always make bread ans butter pudding or bread pudding but cant when it goes green with mildew specks.,

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Why not just freeze the loaf of bread when bought and take out half hour before if you want it defrosted. If your gonna toast it just chuck it in the toaster. No waste at all

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why not just freeze the loaf of bread when bought and take out half hour before if you want it defrosted. If your gonna toast it just chuck it in the toaster. No waste at all
This is exactly what we do. Unless it's some really nice freshly baked bread from the posh bakery (which gets smashed in in a day anyway) it goes straight in the freezer. No waste.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Whether you bake your own depends on how much you value the taste and quality of fresh bread, and whether you have enough time on your hands.

I was told by an expert (William Black) that fat or oil is purely a preservative. Quality flour is more important. If it's tasty enough shelf life no longer is an issue.

Trial and error but do give it time - prove it all night if necessary.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was told by an expert (William Black) that fat or oil is purely a preservative. Quality flour is more important. If it's tasty enough shelf life no longer is an issue.

You dont really need fat - it will make the bread last a little longer,

As an experiment, I tried making some bread without any oil in it and the texture was all wrong, it wasn't a question of preserving it, the mix was too dry,

I also (accidentally) left out the salt once - that tasted even worse

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As an experiment, I tried making some bread without any oil in it and the texture was all wrong, it wasn't a question of preserving it, the mix was too dry,

I also (accidentally) left out the salt once - that tasted even worse

Add more water :)

What I've learnt is that wetter dough makes better bread, although it's a bugger to work with.

I like Paul Hollywood - the pragmatic modern bread maker. No bread machine, but use of food mixer. Don't **** your dough up and dry it out using flour to stop it sticking - use oil.

Yeah can't leave the salt out.

I never put fat in bread unless I make ciabatta (*)- where it's there for flavour.

(*) incidently invented in the 80s and impossible to make without a mixer because the dough is so wet.

I rarely do the big event, but make things like rolls and garlic bread out of habit. The last thing never measure or worry about it. It turns out different every time but so does scrambled eggs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure how this will turn out as I forgot the salt then added it 10 mins later and needed it again so hopefully it has mixed ok. If not will learn for the next attempt.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Salt is key to getting the right elasticity and therefore texture.

I made hot cross buns recently and did use a bread maker but also added milk rather than the contrived skimmed milk powder and water that they ask for. As when I'd followed the recipe previously it came out awfully

I kneaded and rose it twice in the breadmaking then knocked it back, kneaded and rose it again manually and the buns came out well

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've never used a breadmaker in my life but I make bread several times a week, I find the very act of kneading highly therapeutic - it's a great way to relieve stress. And nothing beats breakfast with freshly made bread

Does breadmaking take away some of those URGES Max that you had in the 80's?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I've learnt is that wetter dough makes better bread, although it's a bugger to work with.
Don't **** your dough up and dry it out using flour to stop it sticking - use oil.

Yes, I think my mix is often too dry but sticky dough is really hard to work with. I have made ciabatta a few times, that dough is almost liquid.

My baguettes weren't too bad. The dough wasn't quite light enough and the crust was a bit too solid but they were pretty close. I think I'll prove them a bit longer next time - I gave them 9 hours, read an interview once with a prize-winning French baker who gave them 18, make the dough a bit wetter and spray the crust before cooking. I have to accept that wetter is better

Does breadmaking take away some of those URGES Max that you had in the 80's?

You mean like wearing red shoes? Yes, I believe it does

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The bread came out good but 2 disappointments . I used a 2lb tin with liners I bought on e bay but they werent greased so stuck to the bread and I thought a standard large loaf from Hovis etc was 800gm so being less than 2lb would fit in the tin to cook but it was smaller. You learn by your mistakes next time I may just put it on a baking tray in a round ball and perhaps it will rise to look like an old fashioned Coburg loaf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here