Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford city

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with most of that, but I'm not sure Bradford was swept under the carpet.
Lessons did get learned.
How many wooden stands have been built since the tragedy?
I don't know the answer to that, but I'd wager the answer is probably zero.

... And thank god for smoking bans.
Yeah, it was probably the wrong metaphor and probably me being slightly political myself. Hillsborough's always had a higher profile because of the Sun's lies and the police cover-up - both elements that were thankfully lacking from Bradford. (Although I'm appalled to learn that some foreign reports blamed it on hooliganism). Nevertheless it always irritates me when during one of our many 'standing' debates some ignoramus says "Standing at football is unsafe. Remember Hillsborough."

(Removed a second paragraph as I got the names wrong)

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The sad thing is that with hindsight that not all the people in that stand got out before the flames really took hold, they were casually walking away or in the case the far end not moving at all.

Very frightening how fast the fire took hold the far side, such a waste of life. RIP

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is right to honour the memory of those lost at Bradford.

Sadly it has been rather in eclipsed in many minds because of the politics and reluctance to face the truth over Hillsborough.

I believe there were two versions of the Bradford footage - one completely unedited with extremely graphic images and another without, but still conveying the horror of the incident. I have no problem with the latter being used to help educate others. Especially for focusing the minds of safety officers and stewards not to be complacent that when an emergency occurs they need to act decisively and without hesitation. It was one thing to have the conditions in which a fire could occur and then spread so rapidly but compounded by a lack of urgency including locked exit gates in the passage at the back of the stand. The concourses we take for granted at The Amex are light years away from the hell hole behind the stand at Bradford.

Stadia are so much safer these days so the risks of a 'Bradford' are much reduced but there are still a few anomalies such as the Arthur Waite at older style 'grounds'. I know that many new stadia get criticised for being a bit sterile but at least they are generally safe and pleasant places to take your families to. Not something you could guarantee 25-30 years ago and one of the significant reasons why crowds were declining back then.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I don't honestly see the opposition to having the video online. It is important that people see it - there's no need to hide history. That was a tragedy, and it won't ever happen again but why hide it? There's no shame in what happened that day.

Because people are being burned alive.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Because people are being burned alive.

.... which they don't show. For obvious reasons. Well, apart from the one chap toward the end of the video posted by BOF. But that also makes it more impactful doesn't it? I'm sure I'm not alone in having been shown that video on a fire awareness session.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The sad thing is that with hindsight that not all the people in that stand got out before the flames really took hold, they were casually walking away or in the case the far end not moving at all.

Very frightening how fast the fire took hold the far side, such a waste of life. RIP

I think there were a lot of people went to the emergency exits under the stand to find them locked and then couldn't, for obvious reasons get back into the stand to get on the pitch.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember the day well as we had just beaten Sheffield Utd at home and got invited into the boardroom after the game. It wasn't until I got home and saw the dreadful scenes on the TV that I found out about this tragic event. It was harrowing enough for all who witnessed it on TV - God only knows how people there and their families dealt, and are still dealing with it, plus those responsible for locking the exit gates.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
.... which they don't show. For obvious reasons. Well, apart from the one chap toward the end of the video posted by BOF. But that also makes it more impactful doesn't it? I'm sure I'm not alone in having been shown that video on a fire awareness session.

Nothing to do with impact, but respect. Wanting to watch people burn to death is a bit like wanting to sitting around knitting while you watch a public execution or wanting to go to the Coloseum in Rome to watch gladiators kill each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here